Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, sonic_bouma said:

Terrific appointment.

Im not expecting promotion this year not by a long shot. 

At this point I just want to see us winning some games again and improving on the truly incredible record of 4 wins in 54 games.

If by the end of the season I see us mid table with our confidence back and showing signs of some mental strength and resilience the I will genuinely be happy.

We will be back up within 2 years with Bruce and Xia's backing im certain of it.

RDM could have failed to get us up this season too but he was sacked because promotion was expected (or a bloody good attempt at it) and didn't look likely. Why does Mr Potato Head get excessively more leniency?

Edited by pacbuddies

Don't know if people have seen this but felt it was a balanced article.  Pretty much what I thought we were getting - good and bad.

vhttp://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-championship-promotion-expert-12011357

Hull City fan and Hull Daily Mail writer Will Jackson gives his thoughts on the impending appointment at Villa Park.

There is no better man in achieving promotion back to the big time than Aston Villa's new manager Steve Bruce.

Fact.

The stats do not lie, four promotions from the Championship in as many season sets the former Hull City boss apart from the rest. So if Villa are serious about bouncing back to the Premier League at the first time of asking then today's appointment of Bruce is a very shrewd decision. Having left the Tigers in unfortunate circumstances back in July, Bruce remains a hero in East Yorkshire, after overseeing two promotions, leading them to their first ever FA Cup final and securing the club’s first ever taste of European adventure, no matter how disappointing it eventually turned out to be. The truth is his position at the club became untenable after being consistently undermined by the owners in the transfer market, prompting his resignation. And Hull City fans are still bitter about it today. So what exactly are Villa fans getting with the arrival of Steve Bruce?

Let’s start with the positives.

Firstly, he’s one of the best English managers around, which might speak more for the alarming lack of homegrown talent, rather than the Geordie’s managerial prowess. His man-management skills are second to none. At Hull, every player has spoken highly about him after his exit, not a single bad word has been uttered. That has got to say something. Mainly because during his time he built a squad of top quality British and Irish talent, several for a small fee. The likes of Sam Clucas and Stephen Quinn for example, have been incredible coups and although Quinn has now moved on he became a crowd favourite. With a strong morale simultaneously comes a strong squad bond, which I think actually seemed to carry them at the start of this season, with no manager, new signings or a committed owner. In his first season at the KC Stadium, Bruce pioneered a flat 3-5-2 system, which worked wonders for us in the Championship, and while it had it’s teething problems, with the introduction of Ahmed Elmohamady and identifying the best position for Robbie Brady as a wingback, he lead us to promotion. It even worked in the top flight to an extent.

But it is not all rosy.

Four years at Hull has shown that while he seems to know how to get the best out of players, he lacks a certain tactical nous when it comes to the big games. Obviously Hull City aren’t expected to beat the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea, but rather than rattling cages and going for the shock victory, I feel Bruce showed the bigger sides too much respect and more often than not an uninspiring performance prompted a predictable defeat. In fact, in most big games in Hull City’s recent history, Bruce got it wrong and the team ultimately paid the price as a result. As a small team we achieved a lot under him but it should have been so much more, particularly when you look at the amount of money he spent. There is no doubt that in Steve Bruce, Aston Villa have got a man with Championship pedigree, who despite the poor start could most definitely lead them to the play-offs this season. It’s his Premier League aptitude that’s the problem.

Edited by Gary Thomas

1 minute ago, pacbuddies said:

RDM could have failed to get us up this season too but he was sacked because promotion was expected (or a bloody good attempt at it) and didn't look likely. Was does Mr Potato Head get excessively more leniency?

Because he hasn't spent £50m on this squad? Cos we're currently 19th? 

• Like 3

RDM could have failed to get us up this season too but he was sacked because promotion was expected (or a bloody good attempt at it) and didn't look likely. Why does Mr Potato Head get excessively more leniency?

RDM was sacked because we were 19th. We had won one game in 11 against probably the worst side in the league. Conceded late on 4 occasions. Tactically inept. Yes, it may still be a two year plan but ya gotta show something to make your employers believe progress, of some sort, was being made. It wasn't. And look Wyness didn't sugar coat it this evening either, he said he knows and Steve knows, it's a results business.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Because he hasn't spent £50m on this squad? Cos we're currently 19th? 

Well done sonic, you replied without hitting the keyboard!

Dr Xia spent the £50m and there is nothing wrong with the squad that one or two players wouldn't fix. This team is quite capable of promotion with the right manager at the helm. If you think that is Bruce then he shouldn't be given three quarters of this season and all of next season to achieve it.

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 1

I've come to accept that some aren't happy with this. I'm actually not bothered if people don't want to 'back him', even if I find that a bit weird. Each to their own.

From my perspective, it is EXTREMELY rare that the club do something that I think is the single best thing for the club to do, in any situation. One that stands out recently was in signing Ross McCormack. Another today. The moment I was told, by one of our own players no less, that RDM had gone I immediately replied "Steve Bruce". No hesitation. I hadn't even really thought about it until that point. 

So obviously I'm pleased. It was a complete no brainer for me and I feel like for once we have made the correct decision. We're acting like a professional club again.

Now let's get to work. Gwarn Steve. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I'm presuming Bruce is gonna set us up quite old-fashioned, with 'safety first' predictable tactics, and this to me is the biggest worry. Managers with a more modern outlook on football will most likely be able to nullify or outplay us. Furthermore I fear for the development of young, promising talents, such as Gresford, etc. 

Also I don't buy into the notion that 'tactics and formations' do not matter. They certainly do, and anyone suggesting otherwise need a reality check.

He has been out of management 3 months mate not 10 years. He managed in this division last season and others managed to nullify his tactics well enough that Hull came 4th and won the play offs. I am not aware of an influx this season of these so called managers with a modern outlook on football in the Championship that will suddenly render Bruce useless.

As for him not developing young players I genuinely couldn't tell you how many young players he has developed at his past clubs. I know we have seen less than a handful of decent youngsters come through over the last half dozen seasons so if he fails in that regard we'll be no worse off.

I'd imagine his remit is to simply get us promoted with in the next two years. I got to be honest if he does that playing a team of geriatrics or teenagers that have come through the ranks, playing Crazy Gang Wimbledon hoof ball or tiki taka, matters little to me. The longer we stay out of the top flight the harder it will be to get back. Those at the club are obviously aware of this and have appointed the man with arguably the best CV and proven pedigree in achieving promotion. 

• Like 3

Well done sonic, you replied without hitting the keyboard!

Dr Xia spent the £50m and there is noting wrong with the squad that one or two players wouldn't fix. This team is quite capable of promotion with the right manager at the helm. If you think that is Bruce then he shouldn't be given three quarters of this season and all of next season to achieve it.

We're currently 10 points off 6th. It would be a struggle for even the very best mangers. 

Rather than try and predict what will happen, isn't it best to wait and see?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Firstly, before we talk about Bruce developing talents like Grealish those said talents need to take personal accountability for their piss poor attitude to their profession. Would you agree ? Secondly, Bruce has given young players opportunities in the past on many occasions.

I would. Grealish attitude hasn't been good enough, not even close. I'm sure he'll be given opportunities, like most of them. Will our new tactics and style suit the likes of young Jack et al, get the best of them, is another issue altogether.

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We're currently 10 points off 6th. It would be a struggle for even the very best mangers. 

Rather than try and predict what will happen, isn't it best to wait and see?

With 105 points left to play for. I can see it is a tall order!

I'm very much in the meh and can't stand him camp. Don't want him, personally don't rate or like him. 

However his slate is clean and I will get behind him and hope he proves me wrong, which I will hold my hands up to and admit I was wrong. 

But jeez Steve **** Bruce 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

I'm very much in the meh and can't stand him camp. Don't want him, personally don't rate or like him. 

However his slate is clean and I will get behind him and hope he proves me wrong, which I will hold my hands up to and admit I was wrong. 

But jeez Steve **** Bruce 

Have you even read one of his novels? (found out that today).

Delighted with the appointment. 4 promotions from this division, and what was his win % in this league? More than 50%? For where we are he is ideal. Yes, he might not be the young stylish turk who wants to play like Barcelona, but lets get out of this division first, and while there are no guarantees in football, I think Bruce is the best choice for that task.

Welcome, potato head! :)

Â