Rate Summer 2016 Signings

jackbauer24

So, we're eleven games (12 inc cup) in to the season so now might be a good time to assess our transfer window signings. Admittedly it's not been a great start to the season but is tgat due o the signings or the person who signed them?

We signed nine players so assess each one and then decide whether it was an overall hit or miss.

Elphick - born leader, not born footballer. Poor more often than not. MISS (3 out of 10)

Gollini - looked good, looked awful. One for future but shouldn't have been our No.1. MISS (5 out of 10)

Tshibola - more time in treatment room than on pitch but looked promising when on. HIT (7 out of 10)

McCormack - injured a bit, definitely rusty but often our only creative threat. Slow start but HIT (7 out of 10)

Chester - looked ok, outplaying Elphick and settled quickly. HIT (6 out of 10)

Jedinak - the new Lescott in terms of performance, sold by team just as his legs/ career had finished. MISS (2 out of 10)

De Laet - looked average when playing then unfortunately injured. Not his fault but MISS (can't rate)

Kodjia - looked strong, battled well and scored a fantastic goal. HIT (8 out of 10)

Adomah - bit early to fully judge but doesn't seem to offer as much as Ayew would in same position. MISS? (5 out of 10)

So overall it was a mixed bag in my opinion. However there is no reason that we still shouldn't be doing better than we are, even accommodating the poorer signings listed above. Elphick can be replaced by Baker, Jedinak by the awful Gardner (least he can run) and we're just going to have to ride the Gollini wave (flap?!) as Bunn is even worse.

No transfer window is going to be 100% success so I think we did ok but it was always going to prove difficult to arrest the decline and the lack of focus on the midfield has, and will continue yo be, the undoing of us. We'll survive after Xia throws a bit more money at the problem in January but promotion is incredibly unrealistic. 

Elphick - (4 out of 10)

Gollini -(6 out of 10)*young prospect 

Tshibola - (7 out of 10)*can't seem to stay fit for more than 2 matches at a time, our best midfielder by a mile

McCormack -  (9 out of 10)* i believe he is our best player at present

Chester -  (6 out of 10)

Jedinak -(3 out of 10)

De Laet - (can't rate)-injury

Kodjia - (6 out of 10)

Adomah -(5 out of 10)

10 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Much like last season's squad.

Agreed. But you can't coach attitude. That's a trait. And last years squads attitude was abysmal. That's the main difference and why this is all on RDM and last year it was both players and management.

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Agreed. But you can't coach attitude. That's a trait. And last years squads attitude was abysmal. That's the main difference and why this is all on RDM and last year it was both players and management.

I'd argue it has been management all along. Player attitude contributed but if we had a decent manager morale would have been higher, discipline stronger and the players would have been performing so the incidents may not have occurred or if they did would not have been as magnified. 

Elphick - 4 - Personality wise seems great, but he makes costly errors and his distribution is awful or non-existent.

Gollini - 7.5 - I really like him, and think he will become very good.

Tshibola - - A talent but need to see a lot more of him.

McCormack - - I think he can do a lot better, his lack of pace is a bit of a concern.

Chester - 7.5 - Our best CB. Looks as assured as he can (with all the mess going on around and in front of him), and is calm on the ball. I really like him.

Jedinak - - Looks awful. Hopefully it's just rustiness and he steps it up.

Kodjia - - A very talented player who we need to start getting the most out of.

Adomah - Won't judge just yet but all he seems to do is lay the ball off back to the RB.

• Like 3

On 2 October 2016 at 07:30, Richard said:

Difficult to judge them as they are being so appalingly managed 

And only been with us for about 10 games. 

Honestly, the world is fecking barmy. I get its based on what's happened so far, but how can you judge if a player has been a good signing when we haven't even played 25% of the season?! 

They were all good players when we signed them and pretty much to a man, the fans were very happy with the summer business. 

I'd be inclined to give them a season before we start playing battleships. I know its mental given we live in 10 game cycles, but let's not have any put down just yet. 

• Like 1

I agree with giving them more time before judging, but even then I think some of them are on a hiding to nothing.  We've so many strikers that it will be entirely possible to be a very good player but not show your best form at any point because you're not in the team, or you're in so infrequently as to never hit form.

I don't have a real grievance with the quality of any of the players we signed.  I think on their own they're all fine.  But as a package I think it's lopsided.  It's top heavy, and in that sense I think the rating of signings almost needs to be done collectively rather than individually.

Long season, so this is only based on their performances so far.

Elphick - 5 - Started very well, looked solid. Been awful in the last few games

Gollini - 5 - Some great saves, and some proper howlers. Very much a mixed bag, as to be expected from a young keeper.

Tshibola - 6 - Mostly injured, but has shown signs of being a player.

McCormack - 5 - Looks unfit, can and must do much better.

Chester - 5 - Not sold on him yet, passable but not for the money spent.

Jedinak - 3 - Atrocious, a grafter who can't graft anymore. This seasons Lescott? 

Kodjia - 6 - Looks promising, but in honesty hasn't really done much. But you can see signs. Looks good with the head as well.

Adomah - - - Not seen enough to judge

We'll see at the end of the season under a new manager and with a proper midfielder o 3 bought in in January.

Edit: Forgot about De Laet - not seen enough.

Edited by sne

On Saturday, October 01, 2016 at 23:16, jackbauer24 said:

So, we're eleven games (12 inc cup) in to the season so now might be a good time to assess our transfer window signings. Admittedly it's not been a great start to the season but is tgat due o the signings or the person who signed them?

We signed nine players so assess each one and then decide whether it was an overall hit or miss.

Elphick - born leader, not born footballer. Poor more often than not. MISS (3 out of 10)

Gollini - looked good, looked awful. One for future but shouldn't have been our No.1. MISS (5 out of 10)

Tshibola - more time in treatment room than on pitch but looked promising when on. HIT (7 out of 10)

McCormack - injured a bit, definitely rusty but often our only creative threat. Slow start but HIT (7 out of 10)

Chester - looked ok, outplaying Elphick and settled quickly. HIT (6 out of 10)

Jedinak - the new Lescott in terms of performance, sold by team just as his legs/ career had finished. MISS (2 out of 10)

De Laet - looked average when playing then unfortunately injured. Not his fault but MISS (can't rate)

Kodjia - looked strong, battled well and scored a fantastic goal. HIT (8 out of 10)

Adomah - bit early to fully judge but doesn't seem to offer as much as Ayew would in same position. MISS? (5 out of 10)

So overall it was a mixed bag in my opinion. However there is no reason that we still shouldn't be doing better than we are, even accommodating the poorer signings listed above. Elphick can be replaced by Baker, Jedinak by the awful Gardner (least he can run) and we're just going to have to ride the Gollini wave (flap?!) as Bunn is even worse.

No transfer window is going to be 100% success so I think we did ok but it was always going to prove difficult to arrest the decline and the lack of focus on the midfield has, and will continue yo be, the undoing of us. We'll survive after Xia throws a bit more money at the problem in January but promotion is incredibly unrealistic. 

Agree with all except De Laet and Adomah based totally on haven't seen enough to comment yet. 

Gollini 5 - Shows signs of promise but too risky to be a number 1. Not a signing that should have been made

DeLaet 0 - Richards, Hutton, Bacuna were already here. DeLaet is not an improvement in that area, no need for a 4th right back at all, especially one that isn't that good anyway.

Elphick 5 - Started off looking fairly decent, starting to look a bit shaky recently. Not entirely convincing

Chester 5 - £9m? Unbelievable Jeff. Same as Elphick

Tshibola 6 -  A massive gamble given how hard it is to actually get him on the pitch. Looks okay when he is on the pitch. Hopefully we can keep him fit

Jedinak 0 - Awful

Adomah 6 - Looks like he could be useful if used properly

McCormack 4 - Looks out of shape, was very expensive and we already had two players that could play his role. A waste of £12m IMO which should have been spent elsewhere. Gulity of some glaring misses

Kodjia 4 - Showed some flashes of quality. Would expect more given his huge price tag

Hard to judge with everything that's going on, but here are my thoughts

Elphick - 3 - Being a leader simply not enough. Mistake after mistake, no leadership in a poor backline, admittedly not helped by the lack of midfield

Gollini - 6 - Think he's done well overall. A few more games and I think he'll get even better, a big step up on Guzan despite the errors, a couple of which were quite unlucky.

Tshibola - 5 - Can't give him a higher rating until he can prove he stays fit. I really do doubt he'll ever give us 30+ games a season

McCormack - 6 - Our cleverest attacking player, not the quickest but has a brain and finds space. Needs to stay fit

Chester - 7 - Probably the best so far, a good all round player, would look even better if he was next to competent full backs

Jedinak - 2 - Not good enough even at this level, legs gone, was he ever all that? 

Kodjia - 7 - Really good and I think will get better with a new manager. 

Adomah - 4- has looked a headless chicken but does need longer.

I think most the summer signings would look better if wed bought what weve needed to buy since we had barry n petrov............ two decent midfield players........ Its been our downfall for 6/7 years............

Gollini = Average

De Laet = Cant Rate, But will be decent

Chester = Big Hit.  Great Signing

Elphick = Poor

McCormack = very good player

Tsibola = Looks Good - Needs a consistent run of playing and staying fit

Adomah = Will come good

Kodjia = Looks a Handful, cant wait to see him with McCormack Fit

Jedinak = **** Shockingly Shit. 

It seems to me like weve tried to buy "captains" and manufacture a team spirit............. you cant manufacture a team spirit at any level..........

On 03/10/2016 at 11:06, Tom13 said:

Elphick - 4 - Personality wise seems great, but he makes costly errors and his distribution is awful or non-existent.

Gollini - 7.5 - I really like him, and think he will become very good.

Tshibola - - A talent but need to see a lot more of him.

McCormack - - I think he can do a lot better, his lack of pace is a bit of a concern.

Chester - 7.5 - Our best CB. Looks as assured as he can (with all the mess going on around and in front of him), and is calm on the ball. I really like him.

Jedinak - - Looks awful. Hopefully it's just rustiness and he steps it up.

Kodjia - - A very talented player who we need to start getting the most out of.

Adomah - Won't judge just yet but all he seems to do is lay the ball off back to the RB.

If those ratings were even close to being accurate we wouldn't be hovering above relegation. 7's and 8's? Really? 4's and 5's would be generous.

• Like 1

Â