Rate Summer 2016 Signings

jackbauer24

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2016 at 01:11, kurtsimonw said:

That still doesn't change the fact you said it's more likely Bruce will sink us further than RDM than take us forward. 

I made that comment because I didn't see Bruce as a manager who brought to the table the qualities which we were lacking. I also took into account his history with Birmingham City which made it a dangerous appointment.

A couple of things surrounding this - 

1. It's still early days and anything can still happen. Results have improved but are about the minimum I would expect from a manager so far given the quality of the squad.

2. The Bruce appointment came at the same time we appointed a new sport psychologist. Given the amount of media attention which was given to our problems being psychological in nature I'm surprised that Bruce has received most of the credit and none has gone to our new sport psychologist.

I'll also add - I'm not going to be right about everything every time. There are so many variables which come into play and there is a fine line between being proven right or wrong sometimes. A manager or player may have a lot of potential but never live up to that for any number of reasons. It doesn't mean the makings of a quality manager or player were not there. On the other hand a manager or player may be lacking in some important areas but still make it or end up having some success. There is a large element of uncertainty involved but if I put enough of my predictions out there I am certain I will hit a lot more than I miss and be right about a lot more than I have any right to be. This should be enough proof for people.

On 12/29/2016 at 02:07, bannedfromHandV said:

Was it you that said the stuff about knowing more about football than the rest of us because you know the spiritual side of it all, or something to that effect?

Apols if that was not you.

That's not what I said at all. I was asked specifically by Richard where I was coming from in my posts and tried to give an honest and accurate reply.

I've had spiritual experiences - signs, synchronicities, dreams which have effected reality, out of body experiences and opened up my soul. If you don't believe me, I can't control that. I am not any better or worse than anybody else for having had those experiences.

Edited by Michael118

5 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I made that comment because I didn't see Bruce as a manager who brought to the table the qualities which we were lacking. I also took into account his history with Birmingham City which made it a dangerous appointment.

A couple of things surrounding this - 

1. It's still early days and anything can still happen. Results have improved but are about the minimum I would expect from a manager so far given the quality of the squad.

2. The Bruce appointment came at the same time we appointed a new sport psychologist. Given the amount of media attention which was given to our problems being psychological in nature I'm surprised that Bruce has received most of the credit and none has gone to our new sport psychologist.

I'll also add - I'm not going to be right about everything every time. There are so many variables which come into play and there is a fine line between being proven right or wrong sometimes. A manager or player may have a lot of potential but never live up to that for any number of reasons. It doesn't mean the makings of a quality manager or player were not there. On the other hand a manager or player may be lacking in some important areas but still make it or end up having some success. There is a large element of uncertainty involved but if I put enough of my predictions out there I am certain I will hit a lot more than I miss and be right about a lot more than I have any right to be. This should be enough proof for people.

Let me guess though, 9 times out of 10 you are?

7 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I think it's a bit much to say that's minimum expectation. He's on pretty much promotion form in his time here after taking over a very inbalanaced squad that had it's confidence drained by the previous manager, then some of the players from the previous year too. It was always going to be hard to up this year.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Elphick - 3
Gollini - 5
Tshibola - 5
McCormack - 4
Chester - 8
Jedinak - 6
De Laet - n/a
Adomah - 7
Kodjia - 8

I don't think we signed well, in the summer. A lot of work still needed. 

In judging them on their performances so far, my ratings are exactly the same as yours, so it looks like a pretty mixed bag.

I do believe however that over the 2nd half of the season, McCormack and Tshibola could perform better than they have done to date, in which case we may view that particular window as having more good than bad so to speak. 

17 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think it's a bit much to say that's minimum expectation. He's on pretty much promotion form in his time here after taking over a very inbalanaced squad that had it's confidence drained by the previous manager, then some of the players from the previous year too. It was always going to be hard to up this year.

If you take into account where we were when RDM left you can't complain. But looking at everything in isolation, considering the amount we spent on players, the level of competition and below average performances I can't help but think we can be doing better.

20 hours ago, Flynnchin84 said:

In comparison to last years catastrophe, IMO Chester has been a strong 20/10 

Speaking of which how did we rate the summer of 2015 transfers?

Possibly the biggest let down ever, I was so sure we had finally turned a corner and was going to have a good season, turned into the worst season I can remember.

Â