Rate Summer 2016 Signings

jackbauer24

37 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

After closer examination of your ratings, I'm pretty sure I'm being trolled ....

Gabby rated 7 whilst Kodija is a 5? Definitely being trolled.

Gabby has proven himself in the Premier League. If fully fit I still see him as a midtable Premier League striker.

Kodjia is unproven in the Premier League. I don't see him as being quite at that level at this stage. 

24 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Because he is an experienced international defender who cost nearly 10m quid.

So he SHOULD be good? We've signed a few experienced internationals for decent money (he was £8m by the way) who have been shit. 

**** the money anyway, it's only a side note. Saying "well he should be good for that" is a proper bleak way of looking at it. It sucks all the joy out of watching him play. 

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So he SHOULD be good? We've signed a few experienced internationals for decent money (he was £8m by the way) who have been shit. 

**** the money anyway, it's only a side note. Saying "well he should be good for that" is a proper bleak way of looking at it. It sucks all the joy out of watching him play. 

Yeah - 8m is nearly 10m like I said. Also money wasn't my only reason. We have signed a lot of internationals recently that have been shit. That's not to say that they shouldn't have been good.

I don't think it's controversial at all to suggest we should expect James Chester to be good at this level.

11 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Yeah - 8m is nearly 10m like I said. Also money wasn't my only reason. We have signed a lot of internationals recently that have been shit. That's not to say that they shouldn't have been good.

I don't think it's controversial at all to suggest we should expect James Chester to be good at this level.

Neither do I, I was hopeful because I rated him as a player before we signed him. It boils down to whether 1) you think he's one of the best defenders in the division and 2) how highly you rate that as a signing. 

It's all subjective, but I stand by my point that expecting a player to be good then not appreciating it when they are is quite a cynical, soulless way to view football. For me at least. 

For example, when he pulls off a crucial interception I don't stand there and think "well he should be doing that for £8m". I can't compute why anyone would.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

For example, when he pulls off a crucial interception I don't stand there and think "well he should be doing that for £8m". I can't compute why anyone would.

I don't either. I think you've taken my comment a bit literally. I think 2/3 times he's been outstanding and looked a class above. But mostly he's hit a level that I'd expect from him. That's not to say that when he does/has hit higher levels, I haven't enjoyed it or given praise.

5 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Gabby has proven himself in the Premier League. If fully fit I still see him as a midtable Premier League striker.

Kodjia is unproven in the Premier League. I don't see him as being quite at that level at this stage. 

Wow! I didn't see this coming!

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I don't either. I think you've taken my comment a bit literally. I think 2/3 times he's been outstanding and looked a class above. But mostly he's hit a level that I'd expect from him. That's not to say that when he does/has hit higher levels, I haven't enjoyed it or given praise.

Fair one. I feel like I've achieved something today after all, I got some positivity from you!

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This is exactly why I don't post in this thread. To my mind Chester was a 10/10 signing, the perfect player for us, both in terms of comparative ability compared to our position, availability, price and the relevant skills he brings to the squad compared to what we needed.

Obviously, this does not mean that I think James Chester is the best defender in the world. I'm not a moron. But I would say we would be hard pressed to find a better signing FOR US than somebody who is arguably (subjectively of course) the best central defender in the league.

In fact, I challenge you to name them. Maybe Dunk from Brighton, but how realistic was that? We will never know. Either way, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable or like I was going out on a limb saying Chester is the more rounded player. 

I can't argue with that. It's a very good post. I suppose a thread entitled "rate our summer signings", can be, and is, very ambiguous. Also, considering what we have spent on the likes of McCormack, there is a clear argument that Chester was a far better signing.

If the thread was entitled, "rate our summer signings based on where we were at the time and comparative to each other signing", then my scores would be different. 

Fwiw, I gave him the joint highest score in my post. 

Anyway, I take your point. 

• Like 1

Elphick - 4

Tshibola - 3

Gollini - 4

De Laet N/A

McCormack - 4

Kodjia - 7

Adomah - 9

Chester - 6

Jedinak - 5

a lot have improved in recent weeks but most expensive team assembled in Championship history and 13th means I have to be harsh

Â