Rate Summer 2016 Signings

jackbauer24

13 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

If those ratings were even close to being accurate we wouldn't be hovering above relegation. 7's and 8's? Really? 4's and 5's would be generous.

You can judge a player's ability and potential, not just their form.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

You can judge a player's ability and potential, not just their form.

Form is what they are actually producing. Potential is what you are guessing could happen. I know which one I'd rather trust. One or two of them may well come good in time but I couldn't rate a single one of them as an 8. Not a chance. 

Edited by One For The Road

It doesn't help that they are played or have been played out of position, exposed or a mixture of the two.

Getting proper tactics and a formation which puts players in their correct positions and then I will make a judgement. At the moment moat look out of their depth and clueless but that lays solely at the feet of the last manager and his terrible attempts at picking a team and tactics

Just kidding.

On the whole ok, the biggest disappointment surely Jedi - wasn't expecting bucketloads of ability but thought he would be the answer, at least in part, to our lightweightedness. Not even close.

Although I do think  - contrary to a few  - that some of us his forward passing has looked good at times (and very very bad at others !!).

Hard to blame him too much though midfield has been somewhat strange........

Chester and Kojak have looked fine....McCormack too when he gets match fit  -  I recall fans from one of his previous Clubs saying he takes some warming up.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/718954/Danny-Murphy-Steve-Clarke-Aston-Villa-Championship-News

Villa sacked manager Robrerto Di Matteo on Monday after a woeful start to the Championship season.

The recently relegated side currently sit 19th in the standings after winning just one of their opening 11 games - despite spending in excess of £50million in the summer.

Strikers Ross McCormack and Jonathan Kodjia arrived at Villa Park for fees that could rise to £27m but have found the back of the net just three times between them.

While goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini, who cost £4.25m, has struggled since his move and was dropped for last weekend's 2-0 defeat to Preston.

"They've so overspent on players," said Murphy, formerly of Liverpool, Charlton, Tottenham, Fulham and Blackburn.

"Some of the money they have spent on average players is ridiculous, absolutely ludicrous."

I must admit that I have to agree with Danny Murphy on this one.

• Like 1

Danny Murphy wouldnt know his arse from his elbow.

The only issue wit our summer signings for me is that we did not strengthen midfield sufficiently and I said so at the time

We needed a new Goalie and got Gollini who is early twenties and settling in.  I've seen enough to say he will be a decent goalie for us.  Could have done with decent back up but not sure a club like us could have got decent back up better than we currently have. Dont think we over spent saying we could get 15 years and our money back out of the lad.

We needed a new RB and got De Laet who is proven and sadly injured. Didnt over spend there

We needed new central defenders and bought a current international who has looked really good and an experienced captain who has performed previously in this division. Didnt over spend there

We needed central midfield holding player and got the one a lot of us were crying out for,  hard to blame him at the moment as the one player bought to play in midfield has been injured a bit.  If they form a partnership I think they will be very good together. Didnt overspend there

We needed additional midfield players and bought a highly rated midfielder who was known in this league and IMO when played looked one of our better players.  Didnt over spend there

We needed midfield width and bought a player who did well in this league last year and who has looked ok for us but who needs to be played.  Not sure we over spent there

We needed strikers and bought two players who were among the top scorers in this league the last few years.  Admittedly one is 29 and I'd say the value for money may be questioned but the other has looked outstanding and suffers from lack of support.  We paid the going rate

All in all it goes back to the point that it is hard to judge our players as they have been badly mismanaged and handled.

• 2 months later...

Think we've waited long enough to let rip now haven't we? (And there's nothing new to argue about until Boxing day) ;)

On what Ive seen so far I'd go with this:

Elphick - 5/10

Gollini - 6/10

Tshibola - unknown/10 (Where the hell is he?)

McCormack - 4/10

Chester - 8/10

Jedinak - 6/10

De Laet - unlucky/10 - injured

Kodjia - 8/10

Adomah - 7/10

To summarise overall a bit disappointed in McCormack and Elphick. Gollini and Jedinak have done ok. Adomah has been quite good. Kodjia and Chester are doing well. DeLaet was unlucky. Tishbola is the big question right now.

Edited by VILLAMARV
sp
  • Like 4

Can't understand Tshibola, I thought he looked like a dynamic forward running midfielder. Might be that him, RHM, can't be relied upon at the moment when we have to win games. There is a bench though to bring them on when we are 2 up ( I've checked how many  games this would apply to). :)

Elphick - 4/10 Expected more from an experienced captain.

Gollini - 3/10 Finally been dropped after a very unconvincing start.

Tshibola - 2/10 A let down after  looking decent at times. Obviously isn't producing the goods in training.

McCormack - 4/10 A massive waste of money so far. Often out getting hammered in town.

Chester - 7/10 Looks solid.

Jedinak - 6/10 Good at times but can't pass a ball.

De Laet - ?

Kodjia - 7/10 Scored a few goals but adds little else so a 7 is about the most he can get.

Adomah - 6/10 Not bad and looks lovely at times.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

Elphick - 5/10 Suprisingly not good enough

Gollini - 5/10 Too Young - too soon for him

Tshibola - 4/10 could have turned out better for him here but somethings not right

McCormack - 5/10 I get him, but sadly our midfield dont get him at all and our forwards dont seem to want to get him

Chester - 10/10 becoming game by game an excellent signing

Jedinak - 7/10 He's making the best out what he's got. Its not really enough but if we didnt have him we'd be really £¥<€ed

De Laet - Bad luck injury

Kodjia - 10/10 How many pts has he won for us? apart from pens all his goals have been from his own makings. Where we'd be without him?

Adomah - 8/10 Shit behind him (Hutton) Shit inside of him (Westwood/Gardner)

To ge fair to all of them, Having RDM put an incomplete squad together with no method or madness has made everyones life difficult.

To really pass judgement we should wait till we have a new RB, 2 CMs, a playmaker, LW & a CF so that SB can send out a 1st 11 without compromise to see how they perform with no excuses.

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Elphick - 5/10 Suprisingly not good enough

Gollini - 5/10 Too Young - too soon for him

Tshibola - 4/10 could have turned out better for him here but somethings not right

McCormack - 5/10 I get him, but sadly our midfield dont get him at all and our forwards dont seem to want to get him

Chester - 10/10 becoming game by game an excellent signing

Jedinak - 7/10 He's making the best out what he's got. Its not really enough but if we didnt have him we'd be really £¥<€ed

De Laet - Bad luck injury

Kodjia - 10/10 How many pts has he won for us? apart from pens all his goals have been from his own makings. Where we'd be without him?

Adomah - 8/10 Shit behind him (Hutton) Shit inside of him (Westwood/Gardner)

To ge fair to all of them, Having RDM put an incomplete squad together with no method or madness has made everyones life difficult.

To really pass judgement we should wait till we have a new RB, 2 CMs, a playmaker, LW & a CF so that SB can send out a 1st 11 without compromise to see how they perform with no excuses.

Chester and Kodjia 10 out of 10????

• Like 3

Just now, One For The Road said:

Chester and Kodjia 10 out of 10????

yes

Chester's performances are becoming more and more reliable and important for us

...........Chester Baker Amavi 

is part of a great defence (only a good RB away)

Kodjia has scored goals without a supplyline

WTF do you expect?

he's done great

28 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

yes

Chester's performances are becoming more and more reliable and important for us

...........Chester Baker Amavi 

is part of a great defence (only a good RB away)

Kodjia has scored goals without a supplyline

WTF do you expect?

he's done great

It you honestly believe that Chester and Kodjia have been absolutely perfect 10's then I am truly stunned. 

• Like 1

On 20/12/2016 at 09:42, One For The Road said:

Elphick - 4/10 Expected more from an experienced captain.

Gollini - 3/10 Finally been dropped after a very unconvincing start.

Tshibola - 2/10 A let down after  looking decent at times. Obviously isn't producing the goods in training.

McCormack - 4/10 A massive waste of money so far. Often out getting hammered in town.

Chester - 7/10 Looks solid.

Jedinak - 6/10 Good at times but can't pass a ball.

De Laet - ?

Kodjia - 7/10 Scored a few goals but adds little else so a 7 is about the most he can get.

Adomah - 6/10 Not bad and looks lovely at times.

Would agree with a lot of this. Harsh on Gollini though. 

Gollini- Shows signs of being a really excellent goalkeeper, he's a good shot stopper and his distribution. It's worth remembering he's only 21 years old so mistakes are expected, it's how you respond and learn from them that counts- 7/10

De Laet- He only played a few games but he looked decent I thought, it was unfortunate that he suffered his injury but that's football. He's a versatile, experienced pro and I expect him to bounce back- 7/10

Elphick- He started superbly, I thought we had found a new Laursen the way he started off. He's dominant in the air and he can tackle well, it's a shame that he lost his place in the side but we have a lot of very good centre backs 6.5/10

Chester- Brilliant centre back in my opinion, great buy, I didn't realise how good he was until I saw him in a Villa shirt. He's dominant in the air, not only that he can tackle and Marshall the defence and he also reads the game very well, he should be full time captain in my opinion 9/10

Adomah- He works very hard but not just that, he has quality on the ball in the attacking sense. He can also track back very well, I've always admired him, even when he was Barnet 8/10

Jedinak- I've always rated him albeit from a distance, I thought he was great for Crystal Palace in the Premier League. I don't think he's quite hit top form for us just yet but he has still been decent, he's a beast in the air 7.5/10

Tshibola- He's someone I've always admired from a distance, he came through Reading's academy. He hasn't played much for us yet but when and if he does, I expect him to shine, his best years are ahead of him and hopefully in a Villa shirt 7/10

Kodjia- Star man, goes without saying really, he's a brilliant finisher, he can hold it up and bring others into play. He's outstanding and in my opinion, he will improve providing that we hold on to him, that might prove to be difficult 9/10

McCormack- I think he's been a bit of a letdown, considering the price tag, I expected him to fire us to promotion, especially considering the price we paid for him. He's probably still settling in so I will give him more time, he shows glimpses of real class, we know he has it in his locker 6/10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

It you honestly believe that Chester and Kodjia have been absolutely perfect 10's then I am truly stunned. 

You missunderstand my interpretation of reality.

We are in the Ch 

We are AVFC

We have an owner who other clubs feel they can hold to ransom

Not even Bergkamp performed scored from the off

What did you really expect from Kodjia?

Where we are as a club, where he came from BCFC, into the shit-run club he came into with  a shit midfield and no supplyline I think he has exceeded all expectations.

Chester came down a division and is performing better and better forming a very good partnership with Baker and being overworked beside Elphick & Hutton.

Imagine taking Chester, Baker, Jedi & Kodjia out of our lineup.

Maybe then one can appreciate their individual  values to the team.

Â