Next Villa Manager

Richard

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Ok, first of all I appreciate the effort. I tried to work it out myself but I couldn't be arsed.

However, they're completely unrealistic.

For instance, I think it's more feasible for us to gain a 60% win ratio than us to gain a 40% ratio but remain unbeaten. I get what your saying in that 'it's possible', but in terms of likelihood, the chances are very very slim indeed.

Again, we're actually agreeing here.  We probably will have a higher win percentage if and when we climb the table.  I was not demonstrating that it is feasible for my scenario to play out.  I was pointing out that anyone saying we need [insert high win percentage] to be promoted isn't even remotely correct in the worst scenario, never mind in the others.

Just now, BOF said:

Again, we're actually agreeing here.  We probably will have a higher win percentage if and when we climb the table.  I was not demonstrating that it is feasible for my scenario to play out.  I was pointing out that anyone saying we need [insert high win percentage] to be promoted isn't even remotely correct in the worst scenario, never mind in the others.

Yeah - 60% win from here would give us 73 points if we lost all the other 14 games.  That's still one hell of a turnround needed whatever the mix - we need a lot of wins.  Soon.

Then again - I expected us to be able to do that before the season kicked off.:(

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ok that makes more sense now. At least we're not quite at the stage where we are working out survival chances. Think we were this time last year.

17 minutes ago, Mammoth10 said:

68pts required (17 wins = 51pts + 17) = 48.6% win rate

or winning 23 and losing 12, which is a 67% win rate. As discussed, this is not saying it's the only way to do it, just that adding in some defeats obviously ups the req'd win rate.

Realistically we're going to need to win 19 or 20 games to get in the play offs. Which seems unlikely to me.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wagner odds slashed. I'm convinced it will be him and he will also get us to playoffs this season. You heard it here first. #wagnerlove

Que the music:

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BOF said:

What's this about required win rates for the new manager?  Let's take a looksee.

Points required to get into playoffs in past 7 seasons
15/16 - 74pts
14/15 - 78
13/14 - 72
12/13 - 68
11/12 - 75
10/11 - 75
09/10 - 70

1. Maximum - 78pts
2. Average - 73
3. Minimum - 68

Games left - 35
Points so far - 10

To at least reach the points required in the above scenarios
1. 68pts required (17 wins = 51pts + 17) = 48.6% win rate
2. 63pts (14 wins = 42pts + 21) = 40.0%
3. 58pts (12 wins = 36pts + 22) = 34.3%

So even in the most difficult year to reach the playoffs, 14/15, at this point in the season we would not have needed a 50% win rate.  That's not to say it will be remotely easy to do.  Just that it's not quite as insurmountable as is being made out.  Plus I still probably foolishly think this squad once it is used right will steamroll sides too. 

Good analysis, but a tad optimistic?  I cannot see 68pts being enough looking at recent points totals (last 3 years). I would say 74 points is a more realistic target. To get that we need to win 19 games from now (54% win rate), draw say 7 and lose only 9 - that would put us on 74pts which would give us a competitive total, but one that would not have gotten us over the line in 14/15.  There are all sorts of permutations, but I fear it may be more difficult than you suggest, certainly a 40% win rate won't do it imo.

I'd not even really heard of Wagner until people suggested him in here. Isn't he just another gamble? It's been so long since we had a manager that had some credentials. I know Huddersfield are doing well, but how much of that is down to him? All genuine questions by the way not having a dig at anyone.