Next Villa Manager

Richard

3 minutes ago, sidcowans21 said:

Not sure where you saw that

Not sure where you saw that mate. Wagner 9/4 at Skybet.

Interesting Pearson is only 5/1 at Betfair, but 20's and 25/1 at all the others.

work pc internet filtering thingiemabob blocks out skybet, however it allows me access to www.thesackrace.com its quoting skybet at those figures. wagner is 9/4? 

i'm not gonna place a bet. just keen on seeing who's linked as i think we will move quickly on this. sometimes these lists are complete BS or very knowledgeable

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

The best odds you'll get on Wagner at the moment are 7/2 with Coral (2nd favourite).  Bruce is favourite at 6/4 (BetVictor).  Smith on 7s with SkyBet and Clarke on 12s with BetVictor.  Cotterill, Giggs and Allardyce next on 14, 16 & 16.  That's all accordingg to Oddschecker.

hang on . it's got worse

Bruce 6/5

Wagner 9/4

Smith 7/1

Sherwood 11/1

Clarke 11/1

Cotterill 12/1

Carver 12/1

Giggs 16/1

Who on earth is betting on Sherwood, Cotterill and Carver? This either proves that this is all BS and i should completely stop looking at odds list (and rely on Villa Talk) or.... that there are some real dumbasses out there backing these candidates

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair I thought his stroke of genius was knowing that we'd played 2 games in 3 days with the same starting 11 and a very poor bench and he went with riding out the storm for an hour before bringing on 2 pacey wingers and ripping our tiring team to shreds 

if you can't see the tactical changes he made in the game vs us and how it changed the game to our dominance to their dominance then I can't help you but it was a massive swing

Thank you so much for that, I haven't been so patronised for a looonnngggg time.

I was simply making an observation on the swings and arrows of outrageous fortune, but if you cant see that I can't help you.

36 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

That Chris Lowe looks class too. Signed him from kaiserslautern. Has a good eye seemingly does Wagner.

You don't wanna know how shite he was at Kaiserslautern.

Managers can make a difference

I’ll be honest, I wanted McCarthy or Bruce in the summer. My view was either/or would get us promoted and we would then let him go. A bit of a Watford style approach.

However, at this stage and with this squad I would now go for Wagner.

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Wagner would be a huge risk. The guy has only managed for 44 games unless we are counting his time managing Borussia Dortmunds B team.

The one thing I will say for him though is that Huddersfield signed 13 players over the summer and he has quickly got them to gel something which Di Matteo failed to do after signing nine players.

I just think his amount of games as a manager is such a small sample size and the margins are so tiny. Had Huddersfield lost  a couple more games this season and were sitting 8th he wouldn’t even be in the discussion to be considered. He would be a huge gamble and not one I think we should, or need, to be taking at this time.

Agree - there is no way a Manager can be judged on just 44 games ! ;).(no more I promise..)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Wagner would be a huge risk. The guy has only managed for 44 games unless we are counting his time managing Borussia Dortmunds B team.

The one thing I will say for him though is that Huddersfield signed 13 players over the summer and he has quickly got them to gel something which Di Matteo failed to do after signing nine players.

I just think his amount of games as a manager is such a small sample size and the margins are so tiny. Had Huddersfield lost  a couple more games this season and were sitting 8th he wouldn’t even be in the discussion to be considered. He would be a huge gamble and not one I think we should, or need, to be taking at this time.

Managing a German B team is not like managing an English development side though.  Dortmund II do actually play in the German professional league, so in that sense his time there is relevant and far more valuable in terms of experience than would be the case in England.  It's like saying that managing in English League One doesn't count towards a manager's experience.

• Like 4

On 02/10/2016 at 09:28, theboyangel said:

mclaren would just be another sacking waiting to happen imo. 

His stock is not as high as he makes out and failed to get a good derby team promoted. 

I doubt the fan base would be entirely behind him and it wouldn't take long for the fans to turn on him. 

We need a youngish progressive manager who can install an identity for the team. 

I'm not bothered by nationality, just want someone in that has an idea of what to do and how to achieve it! 

Won't be Bruce will it? Worth laying bruce now and backing when he goes out or what?

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

Cotterill may just be one of those well at least we didnt appoint him suggestions to allow for the appointment of a manager we may not universally like

Richard surely you don't think there is a danger they will appoint someone we don't all like !!

• Like 1