Next Villa Manager

Richard

7 hours ago, av1 said:

How are we a shambles? The owner, the board, and many of the players that contributed to relegation have now left the club, so any prospective manager should only really judge the club on this season alone. 

So lets do that. We have an owner that backed his manager with record funding for this league, and will presumably continue to do so.  We have 2 of the leagues top strikers, and at least half a dozen players that would walk into most teams in this division. The only reason we sit near the bottom of the league is because RDM was absolutely useless. 

Yes we could do with a couple of midfielders which I'm sure the Dr will fund, but lets not get carried away. We are in a shit postion due to a shit manager, we are not an absolute shambles. 

And as @TRO said, any decent manager worth his salt will be able to see that. If someone would rather stay at Huddersfield or Bristol ahead of Villa its because they haven't got the confidence in their own ability, or balls to deal with the pressure of managing at a big club. 

As Steve Bruce seemingly has both of those things, i will/would welcome his appointment. 

4 hours ago, TRO said:

If Villa do sign the right manager and we go on a run and gain promotion.....can you realistically see Huddersfield,Bristol City,Brighton and the likes competing with us for player funds?

We are only in the doldrums because the successive managers have not got us out.....We had an opportunity to fix the midfield.....poor judgment again, thinking we was ok presumably.

The shambles as you describe it , is many factors that have derived from the same source.....fix that and fix the shambles.

We are just a massive opportunity waiting to happen.

I think there is an element of shock here.... shock that we can't attain the Huddersfield manager. Let's turn it around... If we were Huddersfield fans there is no way you guys would be saying similar, no way.

I genuinely don't believe this is salvageable. Not, this season anyway. I don't for one minute think RDM was anything more than useless. But he isn't the sole reason we won 1 in 11 games. 

The club is completely broken imo especially in terms of mentality. I think we perhaps underestimate the effect things like redundancies can have on the place. No, it's probably not directly affecting performances on the pitch, but there is certainly something wrong.

I'm trying to do something that I believe we've been avoiding for a few years now. That's acknowledging what is staring us right in the face. The past few managers have performed poorly - but they are definitely not 4 wins in a year managers. They proved that at other clubs.

Back to Huddersfield. Their manager may have looked at it and thought, actually, I'm going to need at least a year to sort that mess out. That's before we can even realistically think about promotion. By which time Huddersfield could have been promoted and moved clearer and clearer away, using the premiership money wisely. Meanwhile were stuck in the championship, with another 3 teams from the prem who will make it more difficult. In addition we will have probably sacked another manager as he didn't get promoted........people are already suggesting we sack him if we do get promoted.

Fwiw, I think Bruce has the potential to steady the ship and move us forward. I think we will probably finish around 9th/10th. But let's not kid ourselves that this team is anywhere near ready to do what it needs to do. Which is win football matches on a regular basis.

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Dont pay too much attention to Bruce team line ups usually... just had a look at the play off match and how he started that game.

Hull line up as expected.

Steve Bruce picks his tried and tested 4-5-1 with Hernandez alone up top.

With Huddlestone, Livermore and Diame in the middle, the Tigers look strong.

Looks like he used Snodgrass and Elhomandy on the wings/forward roles.. Besides midfield.. we have a better squad than the team he had to get promoted. 

Now.. i dont know about previous clubs.. but it appeared he favoured the 4-5-1 formation. If we look at our squad.. IMO.. all 3 of their midfielders would walk into our line up in midfield. How does he play a 4-5-1 with our current bunch?

----------------------------Steer---------------------------

Bauna--------Elphick----------Chester--------Amavi

--------Westwood----Jedinak----Tshibola------------

Adomah------------------------------------------Ayew

-------------------Kodjia/McCormack-----------------

We look a bit more balanced.. but still no room for Grealish or one of McCormack/Kodjia or Gestede

Goes to show our buying in the off season was so unbalanced. We bought 1 striker too many and not enough central midfielders. 

Be interesting to see if he changes his teams based on who he has or if he just tries to pigeon hole players into a system he favours. 

Would be interesting to know how many goals Huddlestone, Livermore and Diame chipped in with. Would our three match that? 

25 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Would be interesting to know how many goals Huddlestone, Livermore and Diame chipped in with. Would our three match that? 

Diame got 9 ( dont think all 3 combined would match that)

Livermore got 4

Huddlestone got 2.

Look at their scorers. Everyone chipped in. http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/hull-city/2015-16/top-scorers.html

Edited by KSV

39 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

They're still there aaaggghh go away old posts 

Did you mean my opinion on Ange for Villa manager?

Yes. I think he is doing a good job for Australia, and he also did very well for the Roar, but I just have a feeling that he is not ready for the job for Villa. Yet. I believe if he came in now, it would break him and he would end up on the ex Villa manager pariah scrap heap.

16 minutes ago, KSV said:

Diame got 9 ( dont think all 3 combined would match that)

Livermore got 4

Huddlestone got 2.

Look at their scorers. Everyone chipped in. http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/hull-city/2015-16/top-scorers.html

So Diame got more last season than Westwood probably had throughout his Villa career. 

As others have said, whoever we get in, until they can sort that midfield out (January?) we will never be any good. 

21 minutes ago, AJ said:

Yes. I think he is doing a good job for Australia, and he also did very well for the Roar, but I just have a feeling that he is not ready for the job for Villa. Yet. I believe if he came in now, it would break him and he would end up on the ex Villa manager pariah scrap heap.

Its fixed..... hooray.

I put forward Ange because he is someone I know but I'm sure therevare hundreds of other very good managers around who haven't been 'discovered' yet. I just think his style of football and the team ethos he tends to instill in every team that he has managed is exactly what villa need right now...

28 minutes ago, AJ said:

Quite possible - I think he'd rise to the challenge, but wouldn't get the time he needs to work the squad into the way he likes to play.

It's all moot though. He wants to guide Australia to the WC finals in 2018. I don't think he'd be tempted by the Villa job.

Kevin Nolan is a Bruce type player, expect these type of signings or loan deals. We need some heads in midfield.

I don't think he will start with 3 forwards no matter where  their name is printed on rhe team sheet. 4-5-1 or 4-4-2.

Just now, PieFacE said:

Looks pretty nailed on really doesn't it.

Good luck Bruce. You're going to need it. 

so did Pearson - I think 'Bruceys' meeting with Xia is not the formality some think. Its early days for Xia - but I still think he has something about him, in that he might do the unexpected..

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

I am about 90% thinking its Bruce, and about 10% thinking all the Bruce talk is a smokescreen for a surprise "bigger name".

Im thinking its smokescreen for some unknown or someone worse ! 

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

As others have said, whoever we get in, until they can sort that midfield out (January?) we will never be any good. 

Well your theory will be tested soon.  I am not so sure, I still think we can do well with our overall squad and a better manager.  Hope I am right because if we have to wait until after January to start winning (regularly) we can forget the play-offs this year.

12 minutes ago, Kingman said:

So its... "Big Fat Bruce's Claret Blue Army" :D

Looks that way. Apparently there will be announcement this morning.

48 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Looks pretty nailed on really doesn't it.

Good luck Bruce. You're going to need it. 

I dont think he will, I mean we were absolutely awful under RDM all he has to do is win a few games and he will have the fans on side (something the last four managers have failed to do)

• Like 1