Next Villa Manager

Richard

I think Bruce will need a good transfer team behind him. Judging from the table earlier, he hasn't really signed the best of players in his career...

cough heskey x2 cough

Just now, meme said:

I think Bruce will need a good transfer team behind him. Judging from the table earlier, he hasn't really signed the best of players in his career...

cough heskey x2 cough

He should fit right in here then, our transfer record is atrocious over the last few years

Just now, meme said:

cough heskey x2 cough

Didn't MON sign Heskey twice too, for us and Leicester? Not making any particular point with this just that managers did love Emile... must've had a huge dong.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Suprised at how much talk there is on here about his blues connection might be an issue. We've spent years moaning about the press reporting that mcleish was hated here because of that when it was actually because he was a truly appalling manager. 

Anyway if memory serves well I seem to remember a couple of years ago Bruce was getting dogs abuse at Villa Park and he turned to the crowd and made some kind of signal,  can't remember what is was but it was well received and he actually got a round of applause.  

I think he and us know the score. He managed out nearest rivals so he knows when he is on the other side we are duty bound to give him abuse

He knows it's not personal and as far as I am concerned and pretty much everyone else I have spoken to we will give him full backing until such time as he shows he cannot manage this club like mcleish or RDM or Lambert or Sherwood or anybody else who shows they are not good enough to run the club regardless of where they managed or played previously. 

I agree with this sentiment, as I am sure many do, but I am frequently amazed by some of the things I have heard Villa fans scream at matches. I guarantee his Blues connection will be an issue for some, especially if they don't like what they see on the pitch. Not defending it at all, but that's how I think it will be for him IF he comes.  Getting off to a good start and beating small heath would be the perfect antidote.

Edited by Gary Thomas

12 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

The Huddersfield chairman says its Wagner who has said all this, which you would think makes it way more credible. Plus from what I've read Wagner sounds like a loyal person. 

Untill i hear the words direct from Wagners mouth Ill not rule him out.  I do agree he probably won't come but why he using the chairman as a proxy to get this message out i have to ask.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is not everyone has itk knowledge mate ;)

It's not needed.

How many times do Sky report absolute tosh? Di Matteo got the boot on the Saturday, right up until Monday am they were reporting he was safe in his job until it was announced.

This is just one example there have been many yet every time people respond as if what they report is fact.

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It's not needed.

How many times do Sky report absolute tosh? Di Matteo got the boot on the Saturday, right up until Monday am they were reporting he was safe in his job until it was announced.

This is just one example there have been many yet every time people respond as if what they report is fact.

But its not just sky reporting the Bruce interest though. Various sources,  most papers in the UK, bookies etc. For those on us that dont know anything different we have to go on reported. Although i do agree sky do talk alot of crap!

21 hours ago, Godders said:

Just out of interest, I've done a search on this forum for "Wagner". 

The first serious mention of him in connection with the job was on September 11 in the RDM thread.

There was a mention last season in the context of the Championship being a league you need to know your way around since he started with a couple of defeats. Another mention was made last season when a poster said he'd take him here, and a couple of replys were made that maybe the composer would be a better fit.

Now I don't know too much about football, but I suspect that if he was as good as some here seem to think, there would have been far more noise about him from last season and in the summer, especially when we'd been taken over and were looking for a new manager.

The only conclusion I can draw then is that the only reason Wagner is being discussed is because his name has bern linked with us, and Huddersfield are at the top of the table after 11 games.

And to think the Wagenerites want him in as a long term solution! A month ago, it looks like we didn't even know who he was!!

It's true. He has basically become the hot favourite and declared a messiah on the back of 11 games this season. 

I seem to recall us granting Lambert a new contract on the back if 10 or so good game,  that ended well. 

I am not saying that he has no potential but he is an unknown quantity.  We have gambled several times recently with young managers who may come good. I want an old experienced head please. 

Roy Hodgson be a brilliant choice of manager and a lot better than Steve **** Bruce. he has actually had success in his career at least

the highlight of Steve Bruce managerial career was Peter Enckelman

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I have this terrible fear that if Bruce is bought in he will want to see what Gabby can offer.

He tends to love his premiership names!

Might not be a bad idea, how many goals has our new look multi million pound strikeforce offered up?

30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It's not needed.

Exactly just because they've got their own news channel they seem to be looked at as a font of knoweledge. They make stuff up just like ITK's do. Bruce seems to be nailed on but you never know with the Dr. RDM came from nowhere. I'd accept Bruce as it's a safe appointment. Whether that's what we need us a different matter. 

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

Might not be a bad idea, how many goals has our new look multi million pound strikeforce offered up?

How many did Gabby offer up last season??? Whoever takes over has a very good attacking line up to play with. 

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Roy Hodgson be a brilliant choice of manager and a lot better than Steve **** Bruce. he has actually had success in his career at least

the highlight of Steve Bruce managerial career was Peter Enckelman

??? What success has Roy had that'd stand him in good stead to get us out of the Championship?? Bruce has got promotion loads of times. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TRO said:

i have never disliked any villa manager we have ever had.....maybe disliked the football he presided over, but him himself, nah.

I agree with a lot of your opinions but not this one sorry.

AVFC is so ingrained in my heart & soul that any manager, player or owner who either takes us for a ride, disservices the club/fans or is no where worthy of us yet clings on just for the gravy train get my dislike -> hate for them.

People like Lerner, McLose Curcic, O'Leary, Fox, Gaby, N'Zog Lescott and a number of other need to feel the full rath of the fans with a public dressing down (or hung, drawn & Quartered)

10 hours ago, TRO said:

I think it is shallow, to take a personal view....they are there to set our team up to win....not become buddies.

....so when they **** us over (like Lambert, Sherwood.....) it's ok because they are nice people outside of their commitment to AVFC?

10 hours ago, TRO said:

The funny thing for me is so many with fervent views.....and no one has a scubby do, who will turn this soap opera in to a fighting machine.

I think its pretty evident that apart from Hollier (illness aside) Lambert at the beginning (till he bottled it and stayed the course in spite) at a push Garde (because we'll never know - straightjacketed) we've had managers/caretakers who don't have clue.

The likes of Bruce, McCarthy, Warnock as much as not being everybody's cup of tea are managers capable of doing some sort of job.

Just a side not, Warnock has gone to Cardiff hell bent on setting a record 8, yes 8 promotions.

I think we possibly missed a trick there, he would have broken everybodys balls, even his own to have got us up. A - for the record B - another ctack at the PL