Next Villa Manager

Richard

I wonder how prospective managers see us.

In the light of all the talk a couple of months ago about being - was it? - one of the top five clubs in the world within five years, or something like that, I wonder if they see that as an exciting but realisable ambition, or something that means there will be unreasonable pressure to achieve unrealistic goals very quickly.

They might also think that a club wanting to be at that level, if it seriously looked like even approaching it, might decide it wanted a manager commensurate with that status, which by definition would rule out anyone who might think of applying now.

So the prospect might look like a lot of pressure in the short term, following which both failure or success were likely to lead to the sack, sweetened only with a big payoff.  Some managers might find that attractive, I suppose.  I wonder if it puts others off.  If indeed that's how any of them see it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

But who is in a job - with more experience and promotions than Bruce ? 

Wagner looks like he's out of the picture. I can't see compo being paid for someone whose track record isn't as good as Bruce..

The only feasible (at a push)  manager I would pay for would be Dyche.

Where did you see this?

Eyebrows would be raised at someone like Wagner taking a step down the league to take us on. If a premier league manager took a step down to manage us, they'd be the laughing stock of the country before they'd put pen to paper 

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

Where did you see this?

A couple of admittedly weak sources. I suppose Im basing it on previous, when the rumour is that a guy isn't interested - it s quite often true.  

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Wagner looks like he's out of the picture. I can't see compo being paid for someone whose track record isn't as good as Bruce..

Steve Bruce doesn't have a good track record. Relegated as often as promoted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mwj said:

Steve Bruce doesn't have a good track record. Relegated as often as promoted.

Maybe so. I just think his time in the game - promotions - availability will nudge him over the line ahead of blokes with a couple of years management experience in total.

Im not arguing for or against. Just try to second guess the thought process. Would you pay compo for Lee Johnson\Dean Smith  when you can get Bruce in for nothing ?

This thread has taught me that the managers available to us will 'end in failure', make people 'throw up' or even 'give up on football'. I don't envy Tony and the board's need to make a decision.

I could cheer myself up by naming all the managerial possibilities in individual posts - each stating they won't be any good; just so I can re-quote it when he's about to be sacked in the future.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hippo said:

He has got Blues and Hull promoted, but he has also got Blues and Hull relegated.  He's been in management 18 years at eight different clubs, some more than once, with periods of dire football and sackings.  Do we count that when we ask whose track record isn't as good as his?  Think we should be careful what we wish for. 

Edit - wrote this before reading above. Think the point has been

Edited by Gary Thomas

1 minute ago, Gary Thomas said:

He has got Blues and Hull promoted, but he has also got Blues and Hull relegated.  He's been in management 18 years at eight different clubs, some more than once, with periods of dire football and sackings.  Do we count that when we ask whose track record isn't as good as his?  Think we should be careful what we wish for. 

Maybe so - 18 Years management - some highs - some lows - comes for free ! 

or Unproven coming with a hefty price tag ! 

38 minutes ago, hippo said:

A couple of admittedly weak sources. I suppose Im basing it on previous, when the rumour is that a guy isn't interested - it s quite often true.  

i doubt it's true this time

53 minutes ago, peterms said:

In the light of all the talk a couple of months ago about being - was it? - one of the top five clubs in the world within five years, or something like that, I wonder if they see that as an exciting but realisable ambition, or something that means there will be unreasonable pressure to achieve unrealistic goals very quickly.

They might also think that a club wanting to be at that level, if it seriously looked like even approaching it, might decide it wanted a manager commensurate with that status, which by definition would rule out anyone who might think of applying now.

So the prospect might look like a lot of pressure in the short term, following which both failure or success were likely to lead to the sack, sweetened only with a big payoff.  Some managers might find that attractive, I suppose.  I wonder if it puts others off.  If indeed that's how any of them see it.

Reasonable question. I think the implications are wrong though. Maybe I'm more (less) cynical. A manager at Villa will be well paid. If they "fail", they'll get a big pay off, if they succeed they'll get a big bonus and a go in the Premier league. In the same way Leeds, with their idiot owner still keep managing to get managers in, Villa will be the same. Sheffield Wednesday too have had their troubles, but as a bigger club they will always get a manager in more easily than smaller clubs. Size of club matters to managers. Wages matter, pay-offs matter.

There may be managers in higher leagues who might not want to move, what with the Premier League being so rich, and our league being a step down in "testing themselves", but prospective managers will, IMO, mostly be interested. Money talks. It's the same reason Benitez stayed at Newcastle - big club, decent budget, and despite in their case an idiot owner, he stayed when he could have gone to a higher division club elsewhere in Europe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterms said:

Potentially the 3rd biggest club in the world !  [take note Mr Dyche !]