Your Apocalypse Strategy

maqroll

Probably try and hide in a bank vault when the bomb lands, looks like it might work. I don’t need glasses but if I did I’d make sure they’d have a chain on for safety so I could read all the books that inexplicably remained in tact.

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

I read yesterday that Iodine pills was not in stock in many pharmacies right now because people are people. 

Why should it be? 

• Like 1

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was part of the UK's Civil Defence in the 80s/90s.  I don't have up to date information but most of the "Cold War" infrastructure has long since been abandoned.  I doubt we have anywhere near enough bunkers to protect the population.  

I would not even attempt to survive a nuclear war.  Life afterwards would be medieval.  

• Like 1

Sweden used to be world leaders in bunker building back in the day. If there is a bunker built that belonged to a dictator or such anywhere in the world you can bet it's by Swedish design or build by a Swedish company. Some people got awfully wealthy by catering to that crowd.

Was part of out civil defense during the cold war that most people in the cities should have access to bomb shelters. Country is littered with but they're obviously obsolete these days. Think there is room for about 3 million people in total in the ones that are still "functioning" but we now total more than 10 million so it's mostly for show now.

Fun fact: The reason Sweden has such a successful music scene and tech business is largely down to these bomb shelters because in the 90's and early 2000's a lot of them were turned into rehearsal studios for bands or server halls :)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Was part of out civil defense during the cold war that most people in the cities should have access to bomb shelters. 

Hell no. 

Formal govermnent bunkers were mainly for essential workers, essential functions and military.  The majority of the general population would be expected to seek shelter in informal shelters such as basements, underground railways or even their own home.  Priority 1 was to rehouse people living in bungalows and high rise flats.  

One of the main planning difficulties was stopping urban residents flooding rural areas which they considered safe.  Those areas just didn't have the infrastructure to deal with the influx of people.  The main aim was to keep life as normal as possible until the last few days.  COVID lockdown 1 was exactly the conditions I remember being imposed in a time of likely nuclear war.  But it would have been an even more severe lockdown.  Food rationing..... motorways closed to everyone except the military.....curfews......mass prison releases....etc. 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'd rather be right under the blast and get instantly vapourised, than trying to survive in a postnuclear fallout hell. 

Same.

Why would I want to survive if we ended up back in the dark ages. Its bad enough if my wifi drops for a few minutes, let alone having to feast on roadkill and murder other people to survive.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

Same.

Why would I want to survive if we ended up back in the dark ages. Its bad enough if my wifi drops for a few minutes, let alone having to feast on roadkill and murder other people to survive.

And lets not forget you may have to make tough choices as in survival for the fittest.  Friends/family might turn on you to survive 

• 1 month later...

This world is ****. I've always been on the fence about prepping/survivalist philosophy, but lately I find myself siding with that mentality. 

Politics, the climate, disease, war. Things are reaching a boiling point. Nuke deployment is a serious consideration, chemical weapons, infrastructure attacks are possible. 

Finland and Sweden joining NATO will be viewed as a hostile provocation. What comes next? Things are fraught.

I hope I don't sound like an alarmist, but I plan on maybe putting together a years worth of food and supplies. Perhaps get a generator, solar panels and heat pumps. Panels ain't cheap though. The next steps would be growing veggies. And then buying a rifle and learning how to hunt deer. And learn how to field dress a deer, butcher it and vacuum seal the meat. The rifle would also be useful if there is a social breakdown which is more possible than ever in a long time in the US. The American Right is going full authoritarian by the day. The GOP just pulled out of all future presidential debates. The voter suppression, the abortion laws, the book burning the criminalizing of LBGTQ people, the firearm deregulation, the crackdown on public education, the commitment to fossil fues. And the insurrection and attempted coup. It's a nightmare.

Of course I could also just relax and go for a walk. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Sad 1

All that planning and protection and making sure you're safe from the bombs and you could still step out in front of the number 37 this afternoon 

Maybe it's not a good idea to go for a walk 😉

But seriously it's out of your control so don't worry about it, you'll go insane with that shit 

• Like 2

I have a feeling the apocalypse will creep up on us like an old lady in a supermarket rather than come head on, all sudden-like. More like being placed in a pan of water that's gradually brought to a boil than being thrown into a fire.

With that in mind, I'll largely be developing ways to defend my property against the weather and the rabid and feral starving youth of the UK whilst stocking up on tinned goods with a long shelf life. I plan to board the windows up in 2028 - you'll all be doing it by then.

• Like 1

Not sure exactly what my strategy will be but from what I can gather it will probably need to involve an absolute shed load of toilet paper for some reason that eludes me. 

In the 80s, NATO's "line in the sand " was the Rhine River.  If we couldn't stop the Warsaw Pact crossing the Rhine we were unlikely to stop them taking France, Belgium and Holland.   The USSR knew that was the line that would trigger a Nuclear response.  

At that time the NATO/USSR border was in the middle of Germany.  Since then East Germany, Poland and a whole host of other countries have changed sides. Russia are no longer a credible threat with conventional weapons.  I doubt there is a such a defined line in today's world.  

Russia and China remain a threat with nuclear weapons.  But its a tiny threat.  The main threat is an accidental nuclear holocaust.  There have been numerous instances where we have been minutes away.  

You simply cannot prepare for a nuclear war.  Even if you had a luxury bunker with plentiful supplies its not a long term defence.  At some stage you would have an "incident" that would force your hand.  You might have a fire, you might get appendicitis, you might need a spare part for the generator etc.  You will run out of clean water very quickly.  All you are doing is delaying the day when you have to leave your bunker. 

Life outside would be medieval.  Law and order would be gone. You would be fighting to keep what you had.  Your best hope would be to come across a reasonably lawful "clan" of survivors who were trying to survive together.  Even if you could kill animals for meat you would be taking in so much radiation that it would be very detrimental.  Planting crops in radioactive soil would kick up radioactive dust.   Every day you would be taking in massive radiation doses and getting weaker. 

The most successful exercise I participated in was to gather survivors onto the Isle of Wight and then transport everyone, our gold supplies and the remnants of our armed forces to South Africa.  We'd hand over everything to the South African government in return for taking the survivors.  But that was in the 80s when South Africa's position was very different to today.  We NEVER conducted an exercise where we got life back to some sort of normality.  

My nuclear armagedon strategy is to not survive.  

Do you wanna be around in a shit world where you perhaps wont have all your loved ones? If i was solo id probably just top myself.

Just no point to living if it was a world like walking dead. You live successfully you will have people trying to take your shit and u will be one edge all your life. Also when your supplies go low you have to look elsewhere 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

All that planning and protection and making sure you're safe from the bombs and you could still step out in front of the number 37 this afternoon 

Maybe it's not a good idea to go for a walk 😉

But seriously it's out of your control so don't worry about it, you'll go insane with that shit 

At the end of the day, I've done no prepping at all. But there is an appealing aspect to it in these dangerous times. There's probably a healthy balance to be struck with it, like anything. Growing a veggie garden and getting a generator and solar panels seems fairly innocuous.

On 02/03/2022 at 21:09, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was part of the UK's Civil Defence in the 80s/90s.  I don't have up to date information but most of the "Cold War" infrastructure has long since been abandoned.  I doubt we have anywhere near enough bunkers to protect the population.  

I would not even attempt to survive a nuclear war.  Life afterwards would be medieval.  

I went to Kelvedon  Hatch with the boy a few years back , def no room for civilians in that , govt officials only 

we went to a nuclear bunker in Prague , think it was supposed to hold a few thousand people , had something like 3 toilets that were behind a curtain … just reaffirmed my view from the beginning of this thread …. Make sure you are under the first bomb 

Â