Your Apocalypse Strategy

maqroll

3 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

In the 80s, NATO's "line in the sand " was the Rhine River.  If we couldn't stop the Warsaw Pact crossing the Rhine we were unlikely to stop them taking France, Belgium and Holland.   The USSR knew that was the line that would trigger a Nuclear response.  

At that time the NATO/USSR border was in the middle of Germany.  Since then East Germany, Poland and a whole host of other countries have changed sides. Russia are no longer a credible threat with conventional weapons.  I doubt there is a such a defined line in today's world.  

Russia and China remain a threat with nuclear weapons.  But its a tiny threat.  The main threat is an accidental nuclear holocaust.  There have been numerous instances where we have been minutes away.  

You simply cannot prepare for a nuclear war.  Even if you had a luxury bunker with plentiful supplies its not a long term defence.  At some stage you would have an "incident" that would force your hand.  You might have a fire, you might get appendicitis, you might need a spare part for the generator etc.  You will run out of clean water very quickly.  All you are doing is delaying the day when you have to leave your bunker. 

Life outside would be medieval.  Law and order would be gone. You would be fighting to keep what you had.  Your best hope would be to come across a reasonably lawful "clan" of survivors who were trying to survive together.  Even if you could kill animals for meat you would be taking in so much radiation that it would be very detrimental.  Planting crops in radioactive soil would kick up radioactive dust.   Every day you would be taking in massive radiation doses and getting weaker. 

The most successful exercise I participated in was to gather survivors onto the Isle of Wight and then transport everyone, our gold supplies and the remnants of our armed forces to South Africa.  We'd hand over everything to the South African government in return for taking the survivors.  But that was in the 80s when South Africa's position was very different to today.  We NEVER conducted an exercise where we got life back to some sort of normality.  

My nuclear armagedon strategy is to not survive.  

Well that was uplifting ! :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you wanna be around in a shit world where you perhaps wont have all your loved ones? If i was solo id probably just top myself.

Just no point to living if it was a world like walking dead. You live successfully you will have people trying to take your shit and u will be one edge all your life. Also when your supplies go low you have to look elsewhere 

Post apocalyptic world as portrayed on the walking dead looks pretty interesting I reckon. Apart from those 5 seasons they spent looking for that stupid little girl who got lost (she later turned up in Bosch and redeemed herself).

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Well that was uplifting ! :D

If you had the misfortune of catching up on the last posts from this thread in 2016 before the recent bump, you will have read the same post twice in one day.

Guess mine is to get my group of friends together and try to help out as much as possible. A clan is stronger than individuals. Assuming it's zombies, aliens, sentient murder robots, evil gophers etc...

Nuclear war though? Best to get blasted probably.

10 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

In the 80s, NATO's "line in the sand " was the Rhine River.  If we couldn't stop the Warsaw Pact crossing the Rhine we were unlikely to stop them taking France, Belgium and Holland.   The USSR knew that was the line that would trigger a Nuclear response.  

At that time the NATO/USSR border was in the middle of Germany.  Since then East Germany, Poland and a whole host of other countries have changed sides. Russia are no longer a credible threat with conventional weapons.  I doubt there is a such a defined line in today's world.  

Russia and China remain a threat with nuclear weapons.  But its a tiny threat.  The main threat is an accidental nuclear holocaust.  There have been numerous instances where we have been minutes away.  

You simply cannot prepare for a nuclear war.  Even if you had a luxury bunker with plentiful supplies its not a long term defence.  At some stage you would have an "incident" that would force your hand.  You might have a fire, you might get appendicitis, you might need a spare part for the generator etc.  You will run out of clean water very quickly.  All you are doing is delaying the day when you have to leave your bunker. 

Life outside would be medieval.  Law and order would be gone. You would be fighting to keep what you had.  Your best hope would be to come across a reasonably lawful "clan" of survivors who were trying to survive together.  Even if you could kill animals for meat you would be taking in so much radiation that it would be very detrimental.  Planting crops in radioactive soil would kick up radioactive dust.   Every day you would be taking in massive radiation doses and getting weaker. 

The most successful exercise I participated in was to gather survivors onto the Isle of Wight and then transport everyone, our gold supplies and the remnants of our armed forces to South Africa.  We'd hand over everything to the South African government in return for taking the survivors.  But that was in the 80s when South Africa's position was very different to today.  We NEVER conducted an exercise where we got life back to some sort of normality.  

My nuclear armagedon strategy is to not survive.  

Who is "we", Mr. Lifeboats, I'm not familiar with your bio, forgive me.

Assuming I survived the first wave of bombs, I’d go to the nearest Porsche dealership and grab a Gt3, tool up with as many weapons as I can find, grab the missus, the dog, some tins of beans and my PlayStation and go full on Mad Max across the Cheshire plains.

• Haha 1

I live about 100 miles upwind of the nearest military installation, which itself is quite remote. After that, the nearest target for Russia would be Boston and the biotechnology industry outside the city.

So a nuke attack would not affect me immediately. But obviously it would be catastrophic for global stability, not to mention the targeted areas.

Edited by maqroll

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Assuming I survived the first wave of bombs, I’d go to the nearest Porsche dealership and grab a Gt3, tool up with as many weapons as I can find, grab the missus, the dog, some tins of beans and my PlayStation and go full on Mad Max across the Cheshire plains.

What are you going to plug it into? :D

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

Who is "we", Mr. Lifeboats, I'm not familiar with your bio, forgive me.

I use “we” meaning NATO.  But as the UK is one of the major nuclear powers in NATO, I also use it to mean the UK government.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Log onto Villatalk.

check this thread.

make notes.

log off.

Going stout shopping?

11 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Guess mine is to get my group of friends together and try to help out as much as possible. A clan is stronger than individuals. Assuming it's zombies, aliens, sentient murder robots, evil gophers etc...

Ok, Negan.

17 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

I’ll dress up as a zombie so people stay clear. 

For that I’ll need to research Small Heath fans.

It’s a strategy which comes with its own risks.

spacer.png

Â