Your Apocalypse Strategy

maqroll

@Mandy Lifeboats I remember reading "The 3rd World War" by General Hackett in the late 80's, culminating in a single nuclear strike on UK by the Red horde.

As I recall they also chose Winson Green as ground zero and the book detailed the outward progress of the blast wave through places like Walsall, Aldridge & Streetly. It was very sobering as a young kid to read in detail how your own little universe would interface with a bucket of Soviet instant sunshine.

Incidentally the Government decided that hitting Moscow in retaliation wasn't a justifiable response to vaporizing the yam yams. As I recall they settled on removing Minsk with a Polaris in return - a theoretically heinous crime against the future Russian internet bride industry.

On 29/09/2016 at 13:45, Mandy Lifeboats said:

As Villa’s season is going so well I thought I’d bring everyone down to earth with a bump and writing about my experience of Armageddon.

Everything I’m writing about refers to the 1980s and has long since been declassified and been in the public domain.   

As I explained earlier in the thread I had a place in the “Civil Defence Shelter” in Harborne.  I think it was on  Meadow Road?  Meadow Lane?

In the early stages of an emergency I would be whisked into the shelter.  Once inside it was my job to operate what became known as the doomsday computer............

You sure you're not getting your first job confused with the plot of Lost?

Image result for pushing the button lost

On 29/09/2016 at 18:05, Rodders said:

I reckon the answer is leave em be based on the possibility of the Nukes failing. Or why disturb people's final moments with the worst criminals for their final few moments too. The alternative answer being that if we're all died everyone deserves a dignity in death and so open the doors? 

Yep, I would hope the answer was to leave the criminals locked up until they were obliterated

I have tried to include a picture of one of the doomsday computers on this post. If it's worked imagine about 20 -30 of these on a table in a circle. Add  known values into disk 1 and get some assumed values. Add those assumed values into disk 2 and get another set of assumed values to enter in disk 3.  Keep going until your have completed all.

As further known values became known you would change the assumed values and then work around the circle. You had to factor in human error and faulty readings. 

lovelace-1957-nuclear-bomb-effects-computer-02.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I have tried to include a picture of one of the doomsday computers on this post. If it's worked imagine about 20 -30 of these on a table in a circle. Add  known values into disk 1 and get some assumed values. Add those assumed values into disk 2 and get another set of assumed values to enter in disk 3.  Keep going until your have completed all.

As further known values became known you would change the assumed values and then work around the circle. You had to factor in human error and faulty readings. 

lovelace-1957-nuclear-bomb-effects-computer-02.jpg

That is one of the most interesting things I've ever seen on VT. Thanks. 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
2 minutes ago, bickster said:

prep is pointless, carry on living until you fry

So you saying I should not stock up on bog rolls and hide in the fridge until further notice?

• Haha 1

I read yesterday that Iodine pills was not in stock in many pharmacies right now because people are people. Probably the same ones that bought all the toilet paper.

I have wondered where my nearest shelter is though. Maybe I try to find out.

• Like 1

Nice resurrection. Things have gotten much worse, haven't they!

The USA is teetering. And it's a country flooded with firearms. 

I had a gun permit in Massachusetts but never got a gun. Took the course and fired some guns. But never felt the need for one. 

But that's changed. There are millions of well armed right wing Americans and many of the are itching for a slaughter. 

I'm going join a rifle club and train on rifles. I don't need a permit in Maine. I'd like to be able to handle a rifle in case things go from bad to worse.

It's conceivable that a hostile actor could hack into to the power grid. So I'd like to buy a power generator. I have access to well water.

I'm considering stocking food and water. I think its smart to have at least a year's worth of supplies. 

There are hearty people in Maine who can hunt deer, field dress a deer, butcher a deer and vacuum seal the meat. They store the meet in freezers and they have generators. A lot of people have chickens and veggie gardens. 

Solar panels and heat pumps are ideal, along with wood stoves. 

I bet there are a lot of Ukrainians kicking themselves for not preparing. 

Just now, maqroll said:

Nice resurrection. Things have gotten much worse, haven't they!

The USA is teetering. And it's a country flooded with firearms. 

I had a gun permit in Massachusetts but never got a gun. Took the course and fired some guns. But never felt the need for one. 

But that's changed. There are millions of well armed right wing Americans and many of the are itching for a slaughter. 

I'm going join a rifle club and train on rifles. I don't need a permit in Maine. I'd like to be able to handle a rifle in case things go from bad to worse.

It's conceivable that a hostile actor could hack into to the power grid. So I'd like to buy a power generator. I have access to well water.

I'm considering stocking food and water. I think its smart to have at least a year's worth of supplies. 

There are hearty people in Maine who can hunt deer, field dress a deer, butcher a deer and vacuum seal the meat. They store the meet in freezers and they have generators. A lot of people have chickens and veggie gardens. 

Solar panels and heat pumps are ideal, along with wood stoves. 

I bet there are a lot of Ukrainians kicking themselves for not preparing. 

God, it's millennium bug planning all over again. 

• Like 1

Â