Gareth Barry

ferguson1

and he won player of the year there last year...

was really hoping we could have convinced him to come in the summer by dangling a contract that prolonged his career longer than what everton were offering, cant see him doing the record this season so i wonder what he'll do next summer, good enough to stay at everton, moved to the likes of the MLS or look to join a club that will push him over that line

dont want to derail it with the city stuff but...i did boo him, looked like it bothered him and iirc he never really played that well vs us at VP

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

and he won player of the year there last year...

was really hoping we could have convinced him to come in the summer by dangling a contract that prolonged his career longer than what everton were offering, cant see him doing the record this season so i wonder what he'll do next summer, good enough to stay at everton, moved to the likes of the MLS or look to join a club that will push him over that line

dont want to derail it with the city stuff but...i did boo him, looked like it bothered him and iirc he never really played that well vs us at VP

When Milner first came back to VP as a Villa player (so that would've been Barry's second time back) I remember standing by the gates and watching the City players get off their bus. When Barry got off I loudly shouted "fatty" and I kind of regret it now. Then again, we won that game so maybe it helped. :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

I must admit I didn't think he would last this long. I can remember him making his debut for us at 16. Now nearly 20 years on he is still performing at the highest level. Amazing professional. 

Testament to how he's looked after himself.

He would regularly make 35 appearences for us in the prem...would only miss the odd game for suspensions. Was very rarely injured when he played for us and it's continued since he left. Plus players who don't have much pace can play for longer as they're smarter.

I always like to use the analogy of Barry and Hendrie both coming through at the same time. Both had issues with drink, Barry got his wake up call...Lee didn't.

Yes Hendrie had a good career for us but he only played once for England and was finished as a prem player before he even hit 30. Barry is still going strong.

The level of ability isn't that much difference so just shows you what other aspects players need for a long career at the top.

• Like 4

Magnificent footballer.

He's a good gauge to use actually. If someone thinks he's poor because he got outsprinted by Ozil once, I don't have to waste my time having a proper football chat with them :)

Got over 50 England caps, and that should be at least 75. He was incredible for us left mid when Sven was leaving him out of every England squad to put Scholes there and constantly watch the Gerrard/Lampard mess get us nowhere.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

brilliant brilliant footballer. Villa havent had a player as good as him since he left and maybe not a player as good as him before since Southgate and Yorke . He also proves that speed is pretty overrated when it comes to football

said it before its well deserved but will not get as much hype when he breaks the record as he doesnt play for a "fashionable" team

• Like 1

Great player. Played out of position for half of his career.  He could easily go ahead of Lampard and Giggs. 

I remember him being on the way to Portsmouth for like 4 mil or something.

Feel a bit bad for the abuse he got when he left, but he's certainly made the right choice. 

He visited a hospital that my mum worked at, as a youth team member, to go and visit a young fan. He passed out at the sight of blood, my mum got his autograph, and I lost it somewhere, not looking after it, because "Gareth Barry? Who the hell is he"? Probably only the best Villa player I've seen in my lifetime. Ah well.

Under rated player by non villa fans but was just held back by his lack of mobility and pace. If he was a small bit quicker and more nimble then he could have been a really great player but you could argue that then he wouldn't be as strong in possession if he wasn't as big. Also he was right to leave Villa and I thought and said so at the time but the way he went about it was regrettable. I assume that given that he sacked his agent shortly after the failed move to Liverpool he agrees. It worked out much better for him in the end anyway, Liverpool are scum.  

Â