Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Nottm Forest

limpid

Match Polls  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Bunn should never have let that first goal in.  It was hit from a fair distance away and not right into the corner. (Appologies if it was as i havnt seen the replay Mark)

In fact when the ball was hit i thought it was going to be a routine save.

Gollini is a decent shot stopper, I think if he had stayed on we wouldnt have lost that game.

Edit....just seen it back....Sorry Mark!

Edited by Nigel

The result is depressing but in all honesty going forward we WILL score plenty of goals kodija looks decent gestede looks better ayew was top draw it the midfield that worries me hopefully Tish n Jedi do the trick when there back but a quality cdm is a must in January .......but once we click some team is gonna get smashed big time ....utv

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We were excellent in lots and lots of ways, we really were - RDM has Ayew and Grealish working hard and we're an absolute handful going forwards - we could have scored six or seven today - Ayew was outstanding, a step above this division (Happy Birthday Jordan) and we looked like scoring every time we went forward.

Forest didn't look like they'd attack - it's not a tactical thing today, it's not the managers fault, it's not down particularly to any individual - it's a freak result, a mugging - Forest won't believe their luck. This should have been a very straight forward win.

It wasn't, we've conceded a late equaliser and we're 17th and it feels crap. I get that, but this team is going to beat a lot of other teams this year and we're going to score a lot of goals.

Gollini (7) - did everything well enough until his injury. The injury could have been avoided, the flag had been up a long, long time and if the referee had blown his whistle earlier the collision wouldn't have happened.

De Laet (7) - looks solid enough - like Hutton without the slightly ragged edge.

Elphick (7) - Never overly troubled and helps keep everyone else calm

Chester (7) - Solid citizen 

Cissokho (7) - He's having a very decent start to the season, he looks balanced both going forward and in defence - I was worried about him before the season started; less so now.

Westwood (6) - struggled to get any real control on things.

Gardner (7) - in the first half, along with Ayew he was our best player, he did a lot of things right today and although I think the change was the right one given the circumstance, there seem to be an awful lot of people judging Gary Gardner on the idea that's he's Gary Gardner rather than the performances in front of them.

Ayew (9) - a threat all day, runs into space, takes four defenders with him and then lays it off - he pulls defences all over the place, is aa threat in behind and holds the ball up well

Grealish (7) - just off his best, but constantly involved and a threat.

McCormack (7) - Not quite sure he's completely settled into a role, but he links it well and knows where the goal is.

Kodjia (7) - physical, quick and keen to get onto the end of things - he looked promising.

Subs

Bunn (5) - looked nervous with the ball at his feet and didn't get near either shot. 

Gestede (8) - did really well in the air, scored a good goal and was really positive, urging on Kodjia in particular and trying to make things happen.

I know it sounds wrong, but we were very good today, a pleasure to watch for much of the game, we looked comfortably the better side and never looked like we'd do anything but win - even at 2-2 with three minutes left, I was surprised we didn't score.

Just a freak result with loads of positives.

Move on and beat some teams.

I'd agree with that save for I thought Garner was maybe a 4-5 as was Westwood. We were getting overrun in central midfield in the second half. Gardner passed the ball directly to the opposition player on the edge or our area which led to the attack for the first goal and Westwood provided no cover to the centre backs of the second, their player just ran right through him. For me at least Bunn is a liability in goal. As far as I could see from the upper Holte the ball went through his hands for the first goal and he flapped at the equaliser.

Having said that we were undone by our failure to finish -25 shots? And yet only two goals. We should have been out of sight had our finishing been better. Forest are a dirty side and their time wasting after their first goal was pathetic. Mind you I think that is the norm in this league.

• Like 1

Another thought  - after took the lead I would have taken a striker off and put Jedinak on the bolster the midfield and provide more cover. That seemingly was what RDM planned to do but they equalised before he made the change so Jedinak was stood down in favour of the more attacking option to try and win the game which was the right thing to do,

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You don't know that. Jedinak might have not been with the pace of the game. He clearly didn't help against Bristol City and neither did Bacuna. I understand where you are coming but in that game it shouldn't have mattered that they scored 2. Game should have been dead and buried way before then. 

Does he get any credit for bringing Gestede on for a midfielder? 

Yeah, absolutely. He went for broke with that change and it worked like a treat. I'd rather lose 3-0 and go for it than 1-0 and not bother. But then he didn't replace the big hole he created and we were punished. We were absolutely dominating the game and they didn't do anything. If I was a forest player and I saw the huge hole in the middle of our midfield at 2-1 down, I'd have run into it. 2 forest players did and they scored. It's on RDM I'm afraid, if he'd have changed it and, like you say, jedinak or bacuna lose their man then it's on them. RDM didn't bother and it's all on him. He lost us 2 points today! I've liked what I've seen so far, I'm not a huge critic of his, just today really annoyed me and I put the blame on him. 

Refs really need a brain and to not send players off for celebrating. It's **** pathetic. Let people have passion, it's football. The only way a player should be booked for celebrating is by goading opposing fans. The lad didn't do that that today and celebrated with his own fans. Felt genuinely sorry for the lad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

We were excellent in lots and lots of ways, we really were - RDM has Ayew and Grealish working hard and we're an absolute handful going forwards - we could have scored six or seven today - Ayew was outstanding, a step above this division (Happy Birthday Jordan) and we looked like scoring every time we went forward.

Forest didn't look like they'd attack - it's not a tactical thing today, it's not the managers fault, it's not down particularly to any individual - it's a freak result, a mugging - Forest won't believe their luck. This should have been a very straight forward win.

It wasn't, we've conceded a late equaliser and we're 17th and it feels crap. I get that, but this team is going to beat a lot of other teams this year and we're going to score a lot of goals.

Gollini (7) - did everything well enough until his injury. The injury could have been avoided, the flag had been up a long, long time and if the referee had blown his whistle earlier the collision wouldn't have happened.

De Laet (7) - looks solid enough - like Hutton without the slightly ragged edge.

Elphick (7) - Never overly troubled and helps keep everyone else calm

Chester (7) - Solid citizen 

Cissokho (7) - He's having a very decent start to the season, he looks balanced both going forward and in defence - I was worried about him before the season started; less so now.

Westwood (6) - struggled to get any real control on things.

Gardner (7) - in the first half, along with Ayew he was our best player, he did a lot of things right today and although I think the change was the right one given the circumstance, there seem to be an awful lot of people judging Gary Gardner on the idea that's he's Gary Gardner rather than the performances in front of them.

Ayew (9) - a threat all day, runs into space, takes four defenders with him and then lays it off - he pulls defences all over the place, is aa threat in behind and holds the ball up well

Grealish (7) - just off his best, but constantly involved and a threat.

McCormack (7) - Not quite sure he's completely settled into a role, but he links it well and knows where the goal is.

Kodjia (7) - physical, quick and keen to get onto the end of things - he looked promising.

Subs

Bunn (5) - looked nervous with the ball at his feet and didn't get near either shot. 

Gestede (8) - did really well in the air, scored a good goal and was really positive, urging on Kodjia in particular and trying to make things happen.

I know it sounds wrong, but we were very good today, a pleasure to watch for much of the game, we looked comfortably the better side and never looked like we'd do anything but win - even at 2-2 with three minutes left, I was surprised we didn't score.

Just a freak result with loads of positives.

Move on and beat some teams.

Generally agree but Westwood was his usual 4 and Bunn 0 (2 shots on target for 2 goals effectively is a contribution of zero).

35 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Yeah, absolutely. He went for broke with that change and it worked like a treat. I'd rather lose 3-0 and go for it than 1-0 and not bother. But then he didn't replace the big hole he created and we were punished. We were absolutely dominating the game and they didn't do anything. If I was a forest player and I saw the huge hole in the middle of our midfield at 2-1 down, I'd have run into it. 2 forest players did and they scored. It's on RDM I'm afraid, if he'd have changed it and, like you say, jedinak or bacuna lose their man then it's on them. RDM didn't bother and it's all on him. He lost us 2 points today! I've liked what I've seen so far, I'm not a huge critic of his, just today really annoyed me and I put the blame on him. 

Fair enough. 

I thought we were a class above Forrest all game, a worldy goal and a great run from them was all they offered, we bossed the entire game, there keeper has made a couple of decent saves, we hit the post, the bar, cissokho probably should've scored

just wasnt our day

Still think confidence and psychology is playing a massive role in this. I don't really believe in luck but when you're low on confidence that's the sort of thing that happens even when you absolutely dominate a team like we did. As I've said before, the simple solution is to go on a good run but I don't know how we're going to do it.

That's not an "excuse" by the way. There's no justifiable excuse for dominating a game THAT much and not walking away with all 3 points.

It's a shame because unlike in some previous games where we could only muster about 40-45 minutes of good football we were very good for virtually the entire game. Forest offered **** all but they were clinical and we weren't.

Also, I'm not blaming this for the result but what the **** was the referee doing with regards to Kodjia? I don't think I've ever seen a striker get manhandled that much without any sort of reprimand. It was pathetic. Kodjia actually looked lively on the few occasions he was actually allowed to move properly by those knuckle-dragging defenders.

Played great for most of the game but not winning when dominating will eventually have an affect on team moral. If this team clicks a lot of teams in this division will be put to the sword. 

Argh. On another day it would have been over after the first half. We battered the opposition, came back from a goal behind and still managed to throw 2 points away. On the plus side we are creating chances. I have now been to 5 matches and even with my claret and blue specs on I can honestly say on each occasion we have looked the better side- yet only picked up 5 points in said games. 

I am still trying to stay positive. This is a long term project turning this shambles of a club around. At least I come back from a Villa game feeling frustrated rather than depressed.

I guess that is progress?

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

RDM simply has no hiding place now, you can't spend 60 million in the championship and not get the playoffs as the bare minimum, anything less than that is a monumental failure as far as I'm concerned. 

How do you know we won't make the play offs then?  There's a loooong way to go, with a whole new side, after the worst season in the clubs history. I agree, the money we've spent we need to be up there but for lords sake, give the man time...we're 6 league games in!!!

Get behind em mate, keep the faith and utv! 

Kodjia was my MOTM, very impressive on debut. Some of his headers reminded me of Benteke.

Ayew had another good game. 

Defence looked solid apart from the horror show for their equaliser. I do think they wouldn't have scored if Cissokho had kept a cool head instead of reacting to their player squaring up to him, seemed to fire their lad up. 

Gestede was immense coming off the bench.

Midfield was poor but hopefully Jedinak and Tshibola are the first choice pairing. 

Absolutely gutting way to drop two points but now I've taken some time to cool down I think we can take plenty going forward. Having said that, we need to win on Wednesday!

5 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

You can come up with all the positives you like but the hard facts are that we have only won 1 game out of 7 played (including Luton). It's exactly the same form that we had last season and the form of a team struggling against relegation.

RDM can go as far as I am concerned, I hope he proves me wrong by the end of the season but he doesn't look like the right choice to me.

Tom-Hanks-orly.gif

• Like 1

Strikers are sorted, defence is decent but with tish possibly being injury prone the back up optons jedinak aside, leave us struggling. 

Flamini is a free agent and would be an upgrade on Westwood and Gardner, surprised we didn't get another strong CDM in the window 

4 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Refs really need a brain and to not send players off for celebrating. It's **** pathetic. Let people have passion, it's football. The only way a player should be booked for celebrating is by goading opposing fans. The lad didn't do that that today and celebrated with his own fans. Felt genuinely sorry for the lad.

Someone had their leg broken in a crowd surge after United scored against hull. The reason players aren't allowed run into the fans to celebrate is to stop those crowd surges. I know it sounds like health and safety gone mad but sadly it's required.

Â