Ritchie De Laet

meme

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I wonder what he'll shove, and where he'll shove it.

Bacuna ... completely out of the matchday 18.

• Like 2

Just now, alreadyexists said:

Can he play across the back four, or is he just a right back? 

He can play all across the back 4, and considering we're stacked at right back if you include him, and we're looking for another centre back, I think he could well be a solution.

Just now, BOF said:

He can play all across the back 4, and considering we're stacked at right back if you include him, and we're looking for another centre back, I think he could well be a solution.

That's what I was thinking too. I know Hutton isn't great but him and Bree are good enough to challenge each other for that spot. If De Laet can challenge for a centre back spot then something like:

Bree  Chester   De Laet   Taylor

could be good, I do like Baker though but it couldn't hurt to have competition.

• Like 1

Just now, alreadyexists said:

That's what I was thinking too. I know Hutton isn't great but him and Bree are good enough to challenge each other for that spot. If De Laet can challenge for a centre back spot then something like:

Bree  Chester   De Laet   Taylor

could be good, I do like Baker though but it couldn't hurt to have competition.

Yep, he's improving a defence which is already the strongest area of the team.  TBH I think our focus needs to be elsewhere this summer.

• Like 2

For me one of our 3 RB's should be sold if De Laet is starting the season fully fit.

He may have filled in at CB or LB in the past, but we have had square pegs in round holes for too many seasons now. A backup CB should be a CB.

For me we bought De Laet as a first choice RB and that's where he should start the season (if fit), he then has the bonus of being an option at LB or CB if absolutely necessary.

On 2017-5-14 at 11:12, Demitri_C said:

Yep I'd get rid of Hutton too. Don't understand the big love in for hutton. He tries hard but is a average at best rb. 

This has always been my view, he works hard but is ultimately crap.

But i remember reading a post on here a few months back, it may have been TrentVilla, but i could be wrong.

He was was talking about Huttons contribution to the team going backwards after bombing forward. So i started watching him closely at games, and the post was spot on. Hutton seems happy to go bombing up the wing like a lunatic, but as soon as he loses the ball or passes it into row z, he goes ambling back like he hasn't got a care in the world. He leaves us badly exposed. 

So now I've changed my view. 

He's just crap. 

23 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

For me one of our 3 RB's should be sold if De Laet is starting the season fully fit.

He may have filled in at CB or LB in the past, but we have had square pegs in round holes for too many seasons now. A backup CB should be a CB.

For me we bought De Laet as a first choice RB and that's where he should start the season (if fit), he then has the bonus of being an option at LB or CB if absolutely necessary.

I think we've moved on in that position though.  Bree is going to be a brilliant RB and IMO is already plenty good enough to be our starter there.  So for me RDL should be utilised elsewhere but obviously can help out there if needs be.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I was with you right up untill you said he should start the season there. No way is he ahead of Bree, but he will make a fine back up to either full back.

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

I was with you right up untill you said he should start the season there. No way is he ahead of Bree, but he will make a fine back up to either full back.

I'm not so sure, Hutton kept Bree out of the team last season. Is Hutton better than De Laet?

No doubt about it Bree has the potential to be the best RB at the club

6 hours ago, av1 said:

But i remember reading a post on here a few months back, it may have been TrentVilla, but i could be wrong.

He was was talking about Huttons contribution to the team going backwards after bombing forward. So i started watching him closely at games, and the post was spot on. Hutton seems happy to go bombing up the wing like a lunatic, but as soon as he loses the ball or passes it into row z, he goes ambling back like he hasn't got a care in the world. He leaves us badly exposed. 

He's just crap. 

I think if you watched them all closely you'd be surprised to find that most full backs do this, it's a challenging position with constantly going up and down the length of the pitch so when a full back bombs forward it usually sees a little reshuffle at the back (DM drops in and CB moves out, winger drops back etc). It's incredibly difficult to sprint the full length of the pitch one way then sprint the full length back and still be going for a full 90 mins every match. There are always exceptions of course, but it's fairly standard.

The problem is really that Hutton is terrible when he gets forward, not that he doesn't get back at the same speed, so it's still the "works hard, but hasn't got the quality" for me. In my opinion he's a good option for the squad, not the best but not horrendous and will always give 100%, shouldn't be first choice, but useful to have for squad rotation - I'd say there won't be too many 2nd choice right backs better than Hutton in the Championship 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I'm not so sure, Hutton kept Bree out of the team last season. Is Hutton better than De Laet?

No doubt about it Bree has the potential to be the best RB at the club

Bree never actually got a chance ahead of Hutton though. How ever he has had time to settle now and more importantly got in ahead of him towards the end of the season. 

Tbh I'm not actually bothered who starts out of the 2 of them....they are both viable options and the best one will end up with the role.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2017 at 13:02, av1 said:

He's just crap. 

It was me and nice to read that what I posted prompted you to look at something different in a player.

On 08/06/2017 at 19:36, weedman said:

I think if you watched them all closely you'd be surprised to find that most full backs do this, it's a challenging position with constantly going up and down the length of the pitch so when a full back bombs forward it usually sees a little reshuffle at the back (DM drops in and CB moves out, winger drops back etc). It's incredibly difficult to sprint the full length of the pitch one way then sprint the full length back and still be going for a full 90 mins every match. There are always exceptions of course, but it's fairly standard.

The problem is really that Hutton is terrible when he gets forward, not that he doesn't get back at the same speed, so it's still the "works hard, but hasn't got the quality" for me. In my opinion he's a good option for the squad, not the best but not horrendous and will always give 100%, shouldn't be first choice, but useful to have for squad rotation - I'd say there won't be too many 2nd choice right backs better than Hutton in the Championship 

I agree with a lot of what you say about the changing nature of the full back position. Having always played at RB I spend a lot of my time when watching games studying their movement and positioning and in general what you are saying is right.

Despite this I stand by the fact that Hutton doesn't get back into defensive position quickly enough or as quick as he could, a problem exacerbated by his propensity for giving the ball the opposition. 

He doesn't work hard enough when the opposition are in possession in my view and that is a long standing view I've held throughout his time at the club. So I don't subscribe to this 'work hard' opinion held by so many.

I think he is woeful with the ball, poor in terms of positioning and generally a liability.

I think it is fair to say had De Laet been fit last season Hutton wouldn't have triggered his extension clause, wouldn't have got another deal and would have been out the door this summer.

For me he is 3rd choice at RB behind De Laet and Bree and as such a bit of a waste of wages.

• Like 1

Â