Ratings and Reactions: Derby v Villa

limpid

16 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

How about RDM and doctor tony telling us these players are on the agenda? Can we applaud them for realising what we need or can we spin this negatively?

What? I will applaud the club when those players sign. I think we need them badly. I won't applaud the club for saying we need to buy players if they don't get them. Let's see what happens.  Applause on hold until we see what happens. This is getting ridiculous. 

Except a couple of spells in the second half I thought we dominated the game and we were obviously unlucky not to score. I'm quite pleased with this as I rated Derby as one of the strongest teams in the Championship, dominating them away is very positive. It's also positive that we didn't let them Huddersfield us in the second but actually kept going.

A cheeky bid for Hughes? Strange he is still with them. I thought he was the best player on the pitch. In the second half he seemed to play in a more advanced position and that caused us problems. 

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

A cheeky bid for Hughes? Strange he is still with them. I thought he was the best player on the pitch. In the second half he seemed to play in a more advanced position and that caused us problems. 

They'd never sell him to us.

We need to get the transfer window closed THEN establish out first eleven THEN start to develop a more positive and more dynamic playing style and that - IF it goes well - will take until Christmas. If we are in a solid mid-table position at that point then I will be very, very happy. Second half of the season and we can kick on, go from strength to strength and be the team with all the momentum.

Where that will place us, who knows but I'll certainly enjoy the ride. Don't expect overnight change because it isn't going to happen ..... we have five seasons of going backwards and deeply embedded dirge to resolve !!!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

This club is far from being a mess? Ok. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I think we are in one of the worst positions we have been in as a club for decades. We have made some positive changes, that I will accept, but we are certainly in a mess as a club.

51 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

We need to improve in the areas that we havent improved in already.....Not really sure what you mean. 

So the club is in one of the worst positions it's been for decades and we need to improve in areas we haven't already? what would they be then? Owner? New one is an improvement on the last one. Manager? Let's face it, anyone is better than Eric Black. Backroom staff? Board maybe? Playing staff? Massive improvements there already in GK, defence, midfield and up front. 

Im genuinely curious, what are the areas we need to improve in that we haven't already?

2 hours ago, Frobisher said:

Overall not too bad. Felt sorry for Kozak, not his fault. Westwood isn't even up to championship standard. Ayew... he thinks he is much better than he is. His attitude is infuriating.

Obviously watched a different game to the one i attended today if you thought Westwood was poor.

1 hour ago, Godders said:

So the club is in one of the worst positions it's been for decades and we need to improve in areas we haven't already? what would they be then? Owner? New one is an improvement on the last one. Manager? Let's face it, anyone is better than Eric Black. Backroom staff? Board maybe? Playing staff? Massive improvements there already in GK, defence, midfield and up front. 

Im genuinely curious, what are the areas we need to improve in that we haven't already?

I don't think we have improved those areas sufficiently I should say. I hope we bring in at least 4 new quality players in this window or else I think we will struggle to get anywhere near the top 6.

Edited by One For The Road

I think we all recognize we need to improve in areas - and to varying degrees most of us think that will happen with new players coming in and more time on the training pitch. But it is worth considering that this current side (newly put together and weakened today without Tish, Jedi and Rudy for a period) is comfortably matching and competing with teams that many think will be competing for promotion.  We will improve over the coming months as we add more players and get used to each other and that makes me confident.  We need to drop the old negativity and over cautiousness and just go for it.  We have nothing to fear in this league and certainly nothing to lose by believing we can do it .  I know it will be a tough slog; we need a bit of luck, we need to improve in some key areas and we need to fight and scrap for every point, but we already know we can comfortably compete with contenders in this league and we have as good as shot at promotion as anyone else in this league. 

Edit - slightly inebriated when i wrote this  B)

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Think we are heading in the right direction ,we have had a difficult start bar Rotherham ,the other 3 will be top 10 sides ,we have had to rebuild our team brick by brick and it's not going to be perfect overnight and with a bit more luck we would have a couple of more wins,thought we did well today especially in first half we are 3 games unbeaten now and it's progress ,think we are still maybe a player or two short of being a very good side , we lack a bit of pace to get in behind defences and lack a creative spark in the middle at times sort these and we will be in very good shape.

13 hours ago, BigAl said:

Think we are heading in the right direction ,we have had a difficult start bar Rotherham ,the other 3 will be top 10 sides ,we have had to rebuild our team brick by brick and it's not going to be perfect overnight and with a bit more luck we would have a couple of more wins,thought we did well today especially in first half we are 3 games unbeaten now and it's progress ,think we are still maybe a player or two short of being a very good side , we lack a bit of pace to get in behind defences and lack a creative spark in the middle at times sort these and we will be in very good shape.

We haven't had a difficult start. Sheffield Wednesday are hovering just above the relegation zone at the moment and only beat us due to a goalkeeping cock up (as per Huddersfield's draw with us). There are no outstanding teams in this division, the reason most of them are in it is because they have been consistently not good enough to get out of it. I don't see why people keep 'bigging up' our rivals in this division. There are no Man Citys, Arsenals, Man Utds, Chelseas etc. just a collection of mediocre fizzy pop teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

We haven't had a difficult start. Sheffield Wednesday are hovering just above the relegation zone at the moment and only beat us due to a goalkeeping cock up (as per Huddersfield's draw with us). There are no outstanding teams in this division, the reason most of them are in it is because they have been consistently not good enough to get out of it. I don't see why people keep 'bigging up' our rivals in this division. There are no Man Citys, Arsenals, Man Utds, Chelseas etc. just a collection of mediocre fizzy pop teams.

Your right but last year's team would have lost to all 3, a clean sheet away from home is a big turning point for us , get a striker and we are on our way to having a decent chance of success

Edited by tinker

Just re-watched the full game, we are looking pretty solid as a team, despite the early season work-in-progress, i am really hopefull.

With Jedinak in the team, and Amavi back to full fitness we are already improved, but with possibly Yedlin and Hernandez or equivilents to arrive we are looking very well equipped.

Ayew, Grealish and McCormac are going to ROCK!

4 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

I agree there isn't a lot between many of the teams in the division but Derby and Sheffield wed away would be  2 of the toughest fixtures we will play in the champ this year  both  made the playoffs last year .

I've been to sleep since I watched the game but I remember feeling nervous throughout the ninety minutes as I have been for every game. My confidence in the team was shattered so badly last season that it's going to take time for my own confidence in our perceived abilities to improve, so lord only know how quickly the confidence of any players remaining who experienced last season will take to boost their confidence with any longevity.

I thought the fans were great again, came over quite well on TV, though I thought it a tad ironic that they were singing about Derby being a bit of a 'poop' hole.

I have concerns about the fragility of our midfield, though trust that replacements/reinforcements are in the pipe and we should see some improvement there. The people around me in the Holte End call Westwood 'the crab.' With so many people having a downer on him, it's difficult for me to see any real positives for him being in the team. I'm not a football expert by any means and it appears that he is a player who divides opinion. I'll be happier when we have more/better players to pick from.

I think the defence is looking a lot better this term, and although Cisokko (I can't spell that, sorry) has not done anything markedly wrong, I am looking forward to seeing a sustained run from Amavi in due course.

Ayew for me is an enigma out there on the wide right. I feel he has a bit of a mercurial temperament - we are picking up a lot of bookings through the whole team just now, so we need to be careful. I'd like to see Ayew not be so selfish and restrict the number of blind alley dribbles he seems to make. He might be a good quality player, but he comes across (to me) as somebody who thinks his balls are a lot bigger than what they actually are. Just my opinion from what I've seen.

It was great to see us strike the woodwork a couple of times and I guess the cliché is that on another day, they may have gone in. For me, this is the second game this week where we have taken the initiative in the first half and then fallen away somewhat in the second half. Did we tire? Or did we just shut up shop/give in?

I'm sure there are more arrivals to our squad pending - we do not have any real quality/ability on the bench who can come on and make a difference if we need to try and equalise, or win the game.

Happy with a point, I guess. I would have taken it before the game. Kind of felt like we were clinging on (again) at the end though.

I've been to sleep a couple of times since the game, and so my opinions are based on collective recall, rather than 'in the heat of the moment' reactionism. Some of what I've said could actually all have been a dream. Maybe we're in the Villa Matrix... Have a good week y'all. UTV.

2 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

I've been to sleep since I watched the game but I remember feeling nervous throughout the ninety minutes as I have been for every game. My confidence in the team was shattered so badly last season that it's going to take time for my own confidence in our perceived abilities to improve, so lord only know how quickly the confidence of any players remaining who experienced last season will take to boost their confidence with any longevity.

I thought the fans were great again, came over quite well on TV, though I thought it a tad ironic that they were singing about Derby being a bit of a 'poop' hole.

I have concerns about the fragility of our midfield, though trust that replacements/reinforcements are in the pipe and we should see some improvement there. The people around me in the Holte End call Westwood 'the crab.' With so many people having a downer on him, it's difficult for me to see any real positives for him being in the team. I'm not a football expert by any means and it appears that he is a player who divides opinion. I'll be happier when we have more/better players to pick from.

I think the defence is looking a lot better this term, and although Cisokko (I can't spell that, sorry) has not done anything markedly wrong, I am looking forward to seeing a sustained run from Amavi in due course.

Ayew for me is an enigma out there on the wide right. I feel he has a bit of a mercurial temperament - we are picking up a lot of bookings through the whole team just now, so we need to be careful. I'd like to see Ayew not be so selfish and restrict the number of blind alley dribbles he seems to make. He might be a good quality player, but he comes across (to me) as somebody who thinks his balls are a lot bigger than what they actually are. Just my opinion from what I've seen.

It was great to see us strike the woodwork a couple of times and I guess the cliché is that on another day, they may have gone in. For me, this is the second game this week where we have taken the initiative in the first half and then fallen away somewhat in the second half. Did we tire? Or did we just shut up shop/give in?

I'm sure there are more arrivals to our squad pending - we do not have any real quality/ability on the bench who can come on and make a difference if we need to try and equalise, or win the game.

Happy with a point, I guess. I would have taken it before the game. Kind of felt like we were clinging on (again) at the end though.

I've been to sleep a couple of times since the game, and so my opinions are based on collective recall, rather than 'in the heat of the moment' reactionism. Some of what I've said could actually all have been a dream. Maybe we're in the Villa Matrix... Have a good week y'all. UTV.

I think your comments on Westwood and Ayew are apt.

On 20 August 2016 at 21:51, Robbie09 said:

Obviously watched a different game to the one i attended today if you thought Westwood was poor.

Invariably we all watch a different game, because we are individuals and we see it our way.

The game is not a truism, its what we as individuals have seen and interpret from it.

Westwood for me is a lightweight, in many one on one duels he gets out muscled.....that is not good in my eyes and puts pressure on the rest of the team/ defence.

Edited by TRO

Â