Ratings and Reactions: Derby v Villa

limpid

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Not interested in Luton. When we were, indeed, awful.

The other games, as I say, each to their own. And I think we have played better football than at any time in the last 6 years. We have also gone long too much for my liking but I would describe arohnd half of each of the last three league games as good football.

But there you go, if you think it's turgid, fine.

I think today was the very definition of turgid.  

• Like 1

Some positives to take (a clean sheet finally!) but 1 win from 5 matches is a very frustrating start to the season. 

How much of a head start do we want to be giving the other teams going for promotion?

These dropped points at the start of the season count for just as much as the points in the games during the run in. 

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

You talk about objectivity in this post.

Yet this is such a one-eyed, subjective way of looking at it.

We were a total shambles last year. We've improved. We're keeping clean sheets. We've been the better team for a large period, if not all, of all of our games.

You're being stubbornly negative if you can't see that.

We are 12th in the Championship and are out of the cup in the 1st round. I'm sorry but I am pretty negative about things. We are a mess. 

I also think you are being stubbornly positive. It's bloody obvious how bad things are. I can't believe its even a debate tbh mate.

Edited by One For The Road

Just now, LondonLax said:

How much of a head start do we want to be giving the other teams going for promotion?

Brighton 8
Wolves 8
Norwich 7
Newcastle 7

Answer to your question, not very much obviously.

Just now, One For The Road said:

We are 12th in the Championship and are out of the cup in the 1st round. I'm sorry but I am pretty negative about things. We are a mess. 

Don't preach about the need for objectivity when posting stuff like this then.

it's completely one-sided, devoid of context and complete subjective.

Happy with a point. A point closer to what has to be the first aim which is to stay up. Though I feel I may have over-estimated how good Derby were as a team - they weren't very good.

As for us. Gollini is young enough to coach the 'continental goalkeeper' stuff like parrying, not catching, punching not catching and in the meanwhile we've just got to put up with being shaky at the back. All five full backs aren't good enough but I am very much liking the Chester and Elphick partnership. You can tell work has been done to ensure the signings complimented each other and they are much better than what we had.

The problem we had today, and to a lesser extent at Huddersfield and Wednesday - was whilst we had possession and looked fairly comfortable at times, we couldn't create. Far too limp up front despite having the best striker in the league from the past four years. Grealish and Ayew are not 'clicking' in this formation. Grealish...well he looks like a top footballer but we never get an end product from him - but I think the main weak link is Ayew, which is a problem seeing the shouting we did about him staying etc. Ayew is not a creator (having said that, his scoring record doesn't point to him being a 'scorer' either. Until we fix that then we will continue to struggle in games that aren't against the dregs of the league.

Three games unbeaten. If we can hold things together, add some more next summer are sell off the rest of the Riley Recruits & Rejects then I'd be quite confident of a promotion push next season. There has just been too much to do.

Plus we could do with a bit of luck. We haven't had any for years. It's not helped being shit, but the post hits today summed it all up. We've had managers have heart attacks, captains retire due to leukemia, referees not give penalties when players literally have their shorts pulled down. At some point our luck as a club has to turn.

• Like 1

Well I am more than happy with the obvious progress being made!

3 games in a week, gaining 5 points and only conceding one goal. Havent said that for a while!

great new spine. Chester, Elphick very solid.  Even Bacuna done ok today.  Good to see both Ayew and Grealish tracking back. Just shortt of a real attacking threat in midfield now, then its onwards and upwards IMO.  Just need Yedlin, Morrison and Bamford/Wells in and we'll be comfortably top 6.

RDM has such a huge job on his hands to get from where we were to where we need to be! It really is moaning for moanings sake if you ask me. 

We all knew how much work there was to do, to be where we are st is pretty remarkable. Unbeaten in 3 league games and looking like we are more than capable of putting a run together where we win a few and go a few unbeaten.

The next 2/3 games with new signings will show us a hell of a lot more about where we are. But I honestly think we could've won 8-0 every game and certain people would moan we hadn't won by 9.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Brighton 8
Wolves 8
Norwich 7
Newcastle 7

Answer to your question, not very much obviously.

I believe we are currently 5 points off the pace after 4 matches.

Only managing 1 win so far is a frustrating return. If we are going to go for the automatic promotion spots (which should be our aim as the highest spenders in the league) then we should have the same attitude as Man U or Man City do, seeing EVERY match we don't win as dropped points. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Don't preach about the need for objectivity when posting stuff like this then.

it's completely one-sided, devoid of context and complete subjective.

Oh come on. Your posts are so ridiculously positive. I live in the real world and I'm not afraid of facing up to the facts. We are not a good side and although we are buying players, changing makers, getting new owners, etc etc... I see a mid table Championship side and I am not impressed with how things are going. So yeah, Im not feeling positive about our club. 

7 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I also think you are being stubbornly positive. It's bloody obvious how bad things are. I can't believe its even a debate tbh mate.

Seriously, what do you think we need to do that we aren't already doing?

Just now, One For The Road said:

Oh come on. Your posts are so ridiculously positive. I live in the real world and I'm not afraid of facing up to the facts. We are not a good side and although we are buying players, changing makers, getting new owners, etc etc... I see a mid table Championship side and I am not impressed with how things are going. So yeah, Im not feeling positive about our club. 

Then that's your choice. Choose to view it like that. 

But don't preach about objectivity when your posts clearly aren't objective.

8 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Happy with a point. A point closer to what has to be the first aim which is to stay up. Though I feel I may have over-estimated how good Derby were as a team - they weren't very good.

As for us. Gollini is young enough to coach the 'continental goalkeeper' stuff like parrying, not catching, punching not catching and in the meanwhile we've just got to put up with being shaky at the back. All five full backs aren't good enough but I am very much liking the Chester and Elphick partnership. You can tell work has been done to ensure the signings complimented each other and they are much better than what we had.

The problem we had today, and to a lesser extent at Huddersfield and Wednesday - was whilst we had possession and looked fairly comfortable at times, we couldn't create. Far too limp up front despite having the best striker in the league from the past four years. Grealish and Ayew are not 'clicking' in this formation. Grealish...well he looks like a top footballer but we never get an end product from him - but I think the main weak link is Ayew, which is a problem seeing the shouting we did about him staying etc. Ayew is not a creator (having said that, his scoring record doesn't point to him being a 'scorer' either. Until we fix that then we will continue to struggle in games that aren't against the dregs of the league.

Three games unbeaten. If we can hold things together, add some more next summer are sell off the rest of the Riley Recruits & Rejects then I'd be quite confident of a promotion push next season. There has just been too much to do.

Plus we could do with a bit of luck. We haven't had any for years. It's not helped being shit, but the post hits today summed it all up. We've had managers have heart attacks, captains retire due to leukemia, referees not give penalties when players literally have their shorts pulled down. At some point our luck as a club has to turn.

Thank you for this post.

I've read your posts for a while Pilchard and I have seen you've been down on the Villa. Hell, we all have. It's been a total shambles over the last few years.

Yet this post is completely balanced, not just one sided and has aspects of both positive views and maybe some verging on negative. I may hold slightly more positive views (I strongly believe we can go up this season) but I fully appreciate your post and agree with 90% of it.

Edited by StefanAVFC

12 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Some positives to take (a clean sheet finally!) but 1 win from 5 matches is a very frustrating start to the season. 

These dropped points at the start of the season count for just as much as the points in the games during the run in. 

'Clean sheet finally' lol....it was last Saturday that we kept a clean sheet!

p.s.   I know its hard to believe :)

• Like 1

Â