Ratings and Reactions: Derby v Villa

limpid

2 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I will try once more.  Your orignal post sounded like you were saying the villa was much worse this year than last.  That's what several of us disagreed with.

If your whole point was that the championship is not as good as the Premier League (and it had been clearly made)  I'm quite certain no-one would argue.  Of course, I don't think anyone would give you genius points either.

The championship is not as good as the PL.  We are looking like we might have some hope (even with some clear weaknesses) where last year we appeared to have none.  Now, can we let this rest and all go back to drinking?

I never at any point said that Villa were "much worse than last year". But carry on.

Whenever we lost the ball they just strolled through cm until they hit the defence. Would love to Jedinak and Tish together. Need another cf to compete with Gestede, would love an attacking mid too. Actually been pleased with Bacuna so far, I think he's found his level.

Just our luck that as soon as Gestede picks up a bit of form, he gets injured. Hopefully we don't have to see Kozak again, awful performance from him today. Gardner has a great long shot on him, but unfortunately very little else. I'll take the point but we need to start taking advantage of our dominance, starting with the Bristol City game next week. 

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Oh and now we have Di Matteo saying it was a very good performance.

Roberto. It was poor.

You think it poor.

Let me say why I dont.

I'm not sure I would ever call a point and a clean sheet poor - if one does that it leaves little room to go when you lose 3 - 0 !

Also hard to call it poor when we totally dominated the first half. Couldn't t fault the players determination or effort either, so again, I wouldn't call that aspect poor.

Andit is always to be expected the opposition will have share, which they did later. 

I would say our final third distribution needed to be better ( as no doubt will most fans of most clubs tonight) and I would say we lack some sharpness up front and a bit of late game stamina.

I'd have to give us 6.5 out of ten, given all that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

You missed the original point. I said that I noticed the difference between the two leagues and that I didn't think we were much better than last year.  I got shot down. 

Nope, I saw it. Just don't get the point, of course there is a difference between the two leagues.

As for whether we are better than last year, it's self evident to me, but each to their own on that one.

Just now, terrytini said:

Nope, I saw it. Just don't get the point, of course there is a difference between the two leagues.

As for whether we are better than last year, it's self evident to me, but each to their own on that one.

Lost to Sheffield Wednesday.  Lost to Luton Town. Beat Rotherham. Drew with Huddersfield and Derby. Add to that that turgid, boring hoof ball and I am not convinced it's better.

I think Ayew occupies a place in the starting line-up that he doesn't do anywhere near enough to justify. We need a real buzzing playmaker, creating chances for others, interacting well with other forwards and midfielders, and snapping up chances created for him,

instead we get 10 minutes of potential individual brilliance and 80 minutes of Mr Sulkychops.

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Lost to Sheffield Wednesday.  Lost to Luton Town. Beat Rotherham. Drew with Huddersfield and Derby. Add to that that turgid, boring hoof ball and I am not convinced it's better.

You talk about objectivity in this post.

18 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

And whilst I have no problem with positivity, per se, I do have a problem with a lack of objectivity. If things are not looking good then I believe it should be ok to say so. 

Yet this is such a one-eyed, subjective way of looking at it.

We were a total shambles last year. We've improved. We're keeping clean sheets. We've been the better team for a large period, if not all, of all of our games.

You're being stubbornly negative if you can't see that.

Just now, One For The Road said:

Not interested in Luton. When we were, indeed, awful.

The other games, as I say, each to their own. And I think we have played better football than at any time in the last 6 years. We have also gone long too much for my liking but I would describe arohnd half of each of the last three league games as good football.

But there you go, if you think it's turgid, fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Turgid, boring hoofball?!?!? Wow

• Like 2

Regardless of the difference in quality of the Premier League and Championship, we play in the Championship so being the best in that league is all we should be focusing on. Premier League standard comes when we get promoted and not before. 

We're also in the process of reshaping the team and club as a whole. It's been a few months since Tony took over and it's even less than that since we've introduced new players and got rid of some of the dross. Not only that, we're still buying and adding to the squad.

It's not going to happen overnight and there have already been improvements in our mentality and play. I'm not sure what some people expect. 

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

Even though we were poor second half they only really had a couple of 5-minute periods where they had us under pressure.

So much of our play breaks down in midfield, especially when the opposition are pressing hard. Westwood does my head in with how easily he gets pushed off the ball.

We should have scored 2-3 today for a comfortable win. Unfortunately our attacking players are playing as individuals rather than a single unit.

Still, I think there is improvement overall - we have a strong CB pairing for the first time since Dunne and Collins. Put Jedinak in front of them and get the boys working together up front and we will be up there.

Â