Ratings and Reactions: Derby v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, westholmevillan said:

'Clean sheet finally' lol....it was last Saturday that we kept a clean sheet!

p.s.   I know its hard to believe :)

Haha true!

Perhaps "a clean sheet vs testing opposition" is a more accurate positive to take. 

Just now, One For The Road said:

Well, we are 12th in the Championship so I'd say there is quite a lot we need to improve on. Hopefully we will do.

I didn't ask you why we need to improve.  I asked you what we need to do that we aren't already doing.

And just to sum up our luck.... Ayew charging down Carson and the ball going near the corner flag. Gollini in the week doing what he did. I really do think that if we have luck on our side, qe have the capabilities to go 15 unbeaten. We're 3 unbeaten and apparently still shit.

1 minute ago, Gary Thomas said:

We are doing OK, we will get much better, we will push for promotion places this year and the club is far from being in a mess. :flag: (< my happy clapper)

This club is far from being a mess? Ok. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I think we are in one of the worst positions we have been in as a club for decades. We have made some positive changes, that I will accept, but we are certainly in a mess as a club.

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

This club is far from being a mess? Ok. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I think we are in one of the worst positions we have been in as a club for decades. We have made some positive changes, that I will accept, but we are certainly in a mess as a club.

Well, I'm glad you accept that. Really makes me happy

Just now, One For The Road said:

We need to improve in the areas that we havent improved in already.....Not really sure what you mean. 

So, the areas we're already working on.  You haven't really answered my original question at all, which was what we need to do that we haven't already.  If your post here means bring in another striker and perhaps another creative midfielder, then it appears we're working on those things.  That considered, I'm not sure what you mean, when you say there's a lot we need to improve on.  Either you're incredibly impatient, or ignorant to the work that we are doing.

Just now, Troglodyte said:

So, the areas we're already working on.  You haven't really answered my original question at all, which was what we need to do that we haven't already.  If your post here means bring in another striker and perhaps another creative midfielder, then it appears we're working on those things.  That considered, I'm not sure what you mean, when you say there's a lot we need to improve on.  Either you're incredibly impatient, or ignorant to the work that we are doing.

I didn't know we are bringing in another striker and a creative midfielder. I'm glad to hear we are though. Those are positive steps and desperately needed. Any clue as to who they are?

27 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Happy with a point. A point closer to what has to be the first aim which is to stay up. Though I feel I may have over-estimated how good Derby were as a team - they weren't very good.

As for us. Gollini is young enough to coach the 'continental goalkeeper' stuff like parrying, not catching, punching not catching and in the meanwhile we've just got to put up with being shaky at the back. All five full backs aren't good enough but I am very much liking the Chester and Elphick partnership. You can tell work has been done to ensure the signings complimented each other and they are much better than what we had.

The problem we had today, and to a lesser extent at Huddersfield and Wednesday - was whilst we had possession and looked fairly comfortable at times, we couldn't create. Far too limp up front despite having the best striker in the league from the past four years. Grealish and Ayew are not 'clicking' in this formation. Grealish...well he looks like a top footballer but we never get an end product from him - but I think the main weak link is Ayew, which is a problem seeing the shouting we did about him staying etc. Ayew is not a creator (having said that, his scoring record doesn't point to him being a 'scorer' either. Until we fix that then we will continue to struggle in games that aren't against the dregs of the league.

Three games unbeaten. If we can hold things together, add some more next summer are sell off the rest of the Riley Recruits & Rejects then I'd be quite confident of a promotion push next season. There has just been too much to do.

Plus we could do with a bit of luck. We haven't had any for years. It's not helped being shit, but the post hits today summed it all up. We've had managers have heart attacks, captains retire due to leukemia, referees not give penalties when players literally have their shorts pulled down. At some point our luck as a club has to turn.

I think everybody at the club has higher ambitions than that and rightly so. Based on how we've performed this season (Luton aside) we'll also have no problems staying up.

Edited by Mantis

6 years of bad decisons and awful signimngs will not be fixed in 5 minutes

the disease withing the club is not a quick fix either

There are positive signs at last, we're not the finished article by any means, but a lot can happen in the next 11 days

So..............

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I didn't know we are bringing in another striker and a creative midfielder. I'm glad to hear we are though. Those are positive steps and desperately needed. Any clue as to who they are?

Check the transfer thread and usual places for the updates.  We've been heavily linked with Bamford and Wells, and RDM has repeatedly said (including in his interview after the game today) that we're looking at bolstering our options in attack.

I have a hunch that we'll proceed with the rumoured Morrison deal too now that it appears Diawara is heading to Napoli, but who knows.

Just now, Troglodyte said:

Check the transfer thread and usual places for the updates.  We've been heavily linked with Bamford and Wells, and RDM has repeatedly said (including in his interview after the game today) that we're looking at bolstering our options in attack.

I have a hunch that we'll proceed with the rumoured Morrison deal too now that it appears Diawara is heading to Napoli, but who knows.

Ah. OK, I thought you were itk for a minute. Ive seen the transfer thread, we are linked to lots of players, as always, not sure how we are supposed to applaud the club on the basis of tenuous links but if we get those players on I'll be delighted .

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Ah. OK, I thought you were itk for a minute. Ive seen the transfer thread, we are linked to lots of players, as always, not sure how we are supposed to applaud the club on the basis of tenuous links but if we get those players on I'll be delighted .

How about RDM and doctor tony telling us these players are on the agenda? Can we applaud them for realising what we need or can we spin this negatively?

Gollini - 8 - Super impressed with him so far (mistakes aside). Will be indispensable by Christmas, once he's settled and played together more with his backline

Bacuna - 7 - Fine I suppose

Elphick - 8 - Excellent leader. Good defender

Chester 8 - Solid

Cissokho - 6 - Same as always. Defensively ok, the odd brain explosion

Gardner - 4 - Hitting the post doesn't make up for the other 93min 55 seconds. Not sure what Forest fans were looking at last season. Jedinak ASAP

Westwood - 6 - Fine, this is his level but really would prefer someone else (Tsibola)

Ayew - 7 - First half didn't touch the ball for rating of 6, second half was a lot more involved for 8, an average of 7 overall. As always, too selfish

McCormack - 7 - Glimpses, but came in and out of the game. Should have scored from 18 yards in the first half

Grealish - 7 - FFS can he PLEASE be played centrally? HE IS NOT A WIDE PLAYER

Gestede - 6 - OK

Kozak - 4 - Had a few decent performances last season but this was woeful. Hope that its just match fitness

Green & Amavi - Not enough time

We've played 4 games this year and conceded 2 unlucky /soft goals, I'd read into that the defence though not finished is well organised and effective -a step up from last year. The forwards are still square pegs in round holes, personally I don't think that Ayew is a wide midfield player, he's effective on the edge of their box, not ours. Grealish needs to be a no 10 not a winger, by signing a genuine wide player either Grealish or Ayew can move inside. The midfield has for the last 5 years and still is our weakest area, but in reality Gardner and Westwood are our second choice central midfielders.Tshibola and Jedinak will start next game.  We need more players but considering this is in all likelihood a 2 year project (I know we would  like it to be 1) I think we've started well. 

• Like 4

Â