Squad / Team - how do you see it?

Dodgyknees

Need better footballers and better characters. Some winners please. Seemed as though there was barely a raised voice last night. Hutton and Amavi take a throw in, nobody shows for it. Nothing said. Grealish plays the ball into Ayew who gives it away. Shrug of the shoulders. Nobody has a go at him. Gabby fails for the 59th time to hold the ball up. Nothing said. That's alright. Kodjia dicking around with the ball again and losing. Oh well. 

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Need better footballers and better characters. Some winners please. Seemed as though there was barely a raised voice last night. Hutton and Amavi take a throw in, nobody shows for it. Nothing said. Grealish plays the ball into Ayew who gives it away. Shrug of the shoulders. Nobody has a go at him. Gabby fails for the 59th time to hold the ball up. Nothing said. That's alright. Kodjia dicking around with the ball again and losing. Oh well. 

I didn't see the game but I think you are being ultra critical, I also think that you are a very good football poster, I have formed this opinion over the years :)

6 hours ago, philgetaway said:

Too many individuals, not a team.  The squad is top heavy, with no balance.

Get wide players in who want to cross the ball and assist.  Play a striker who can finish such opportunities.  With this in mind, Gabby and Ayew need to leave.

You think that 2 of our better attacking players need to leave the football club? 

34 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Yes I do especially at Championship level but I think that highlights the lack of attacking players we have, do you?

There's nothing to suggest to me that Gabby is one of our better players at this level.  He's scored 11 league goals in 3.5 seasons.  He can't control a ball and has lost his main asset -pace. 

At a lower level to Gabby, but at the level we are now, Ross McCormack has scored 68 goals in the 3.5 seasons.

Rudy Gestede has scored 10 in his Villa career alone. Let alone the last time his was in this league and scored 22. 

Ayew has scored 9 in his villa career, and I believe he is our most talented player, but he's not a team player from what I can see. It was okay last season because there was nothing else on, but this year I was expecting more than the 2 goals.  I would sell and get a winger in to play the position.

Finally Kodjia. 7 goals already, 19 last year at this level. 

Gabby is behind all these players as it stands, but he is top of these in wages. So we have to make it work as he won't leave. 

Edited by philgetaway
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 14/12/2016 at 08:58, rodders0223 said:

Need better footballers and better characters. Some winners please.

I agree. One thing I didn't think would be an issue this season was leadership on the pitch. We signed four players over the summer who had all captained sides previously. 

Now whilst you may not be able to criticise a lack of effort on the part of the likes of Chester, Elphick and Jedinak where is the going ape shit at those around them who aren't putting a shift in or geeing up those around them. Where is the verbal organiser in the team orchestrating things on the pitch. 

All the players seem too nice. Either that or they don't give a shit. We concede a goal and there seems to be a collective shrug of the shoulders. Passes misplaced, a lack of movement up top, a lack of tracking back and I don't see any players giving someone else a bollocking and calling them out.

I am not sure how you address it. We signed players who you would think were leaders yet they seem to have settled into a nice comfortable life at Villa where they are happy to go through the motions and pass responsibility onto someone else. You get a team without leaders and you end up with the can't be asked crap we have seen served up for years at the club and nothing seems to have changed this season.

We need some real strong characters in this club. A couple of no nonsense bastards who won't stand for shirkers around them.

• Like 1

Westwood, Bacuna, Gardner, Hutton - four starters for us this season and all of which need to be replaced if we are to get anywhere. We should deffo be competing after this transfer window but will take the summer to get the squad absolutely balanced. 

Shite.

Makes Sherwood look like a miracle worker last season.

Only losing all but 1 game by 1 goal when you consider the amount of money spent in the summer,  and generally considered by many the squad is better than last seasons. Yet they can only muster mid table mediocrity in an inferior league.

Yet again we have overspent for under performing players. Only Sunderland can consistently waste money like the Villa on players who turn out to be rubbish with no resale value.

I guess we need to be patient and to have some transfer consistency under Steve Round and Bruce but bloody hell I am getting fed up on Villa punching way below their weight.

I'll reserve judgement on the forwards until they have a midfield. 

Amavi, Hutton, Elphick, Westwood, Gardner, Bacuna, Tshibola certainly aren't good enough to be starting. I give Hutton and Elphick somewhat of a pass as they are only in the side due to injuries. A lot of squad building still to do over the next 2 windows.

I wanna see us get a solid LB in and push Amavi up to the left wing role. He loves going forward, has a wicked cross on him, and is quick enough to get back to cover if required.

------------Jedi-----Tish----------

--------------Bacuna--------------

Adomah-------------------Amavi

---------------Kodjia--------------

Need more depth at CM.

On 01/09/2016 at 07:37, Michael118 said:

I didn't include Kodjia because I haven't seen him play but I rate Kozak and Agbonlahor highly and if they are fit I would have no issue with them being our first choice strikers.

Cracking.

• Like 1

On this day in history I see the 1st XI to be something like this:

Johnstone

Hutton - Chester - Baker - Amazi

Jedinak

Adomah - Landsbury - Green

Grealish

McCormack

Or...

Johnstone

Chester - Elphick - Baker