James Chester

KJT123

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Once again, I just don't see the huge amount of praise for the guy. He worries me positionally, often the wrong side of the strikers (is he quick and thinks he can compensate?) or just unable to spot runs.

For 2 of Reading's goals today, he just isn't aware of what's going on around him. 

He was comfortably our Man of the Match today, imo.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

he is a garbage defender for me and a player we need to replace in summer to improve

Respect your opinion, but Chester is probably our second best player. We could sign no better than him, we aren't in the premier league anymore and capable of attracting better.

i think what is happening around him is probably not helping him. Amavi pretending to defend for example.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was comfortably our Man of the Match today, imo.

Yeah, I feel like I see a different player to the vast majority on here. He's obviously not "bad", but he's so often the one that enables the opposition to score. 

For example, I bet Bacuna gets plenty of stick for giving away the penalty but if Chester is able to defend the ball into the box properly, that incident just doesn't happen. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

he is a garbage defender for me and a player we need to replace in summer to improve

We had what, eight games with one goal against, and the leader of our defence is garbage?

I know you don't just say this because we gave up three goals yesterday, you've been consistent with your view, together with bobzy, but really?

You guys are arguing against the best part of our team, by far and away, save for Kodjia. If this guy is traded, who do we stick with?

• Like 1

I think he has put in some terrific performances this season, however he has also put in a handful of unacceptably poor performances. He needs to minmise the latter next season, I also think he'd benefit from playing in a better back four. Baker is acceptable at this level but we need better quality next to Chester if we are to target automatic promotion, then Hutton and Amavi are total garbage. Taylor should be more than solid next season and I'm hoping Bree gets a chance this season to show us what he can do.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

6 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

i think what is happening around him is probably not helping him. Amavi pretending to defend for example.

I agree with this sentiment. I have said similar in the Micah Richards thread in the past. It only takes one player in the back line to not be doing their job properly to throw the rest out. The rest become distracted by the weak link and lose their positions trying to cover. I have defended Amavi in the past, and think that he just lacks confidence and match fitness, but with each passing game I think he needs replacing next season if we want to go up.

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, I feel like I see a different player to the vast majority on here. He's obviously not "bad", but he's so often the one that enables the opposition to score. 

For example, I bet Bacuna gets plenty of stick for giving away the penalty but if Chester is able to defend the ball into the box properly, that incident just doesn't happen. 

Did you see the game yesterday?

On 1/16/2017 at 20:22, jackbauer24 said:

While I like a good work ethic, it's talent that's the most important thing - otherwise pay me £30k a week and I promise I'll be in at 6am every morning and train til 6pm every night!

But, back on topic, Chester has already got to be a shoo in for POTS, consistent, captain and always here! Take a spectacular performance from anyone else to change my opinion now. Kodjia will be in the mix no doubt but he isn't even half as consistent. 

Its not something that can be separated, you need both......otherwise it renders players limited.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nah, just the highlights. Your point?

You seem to have made a pretty firm conclusion of his performance yesterday, but you've probably seen about 90 seconds of it. 

There's a reason he's winning the MOTM poll. He was by far the best player, and he's been our best player all season

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You seem to have made a pretty firm conclusion of his performance yesterday, but you've probably seen about 90 seconds of it. 

There's a reason he's winning the MOTM poll. He was by far the best player, and he's been our best player all season

Not at all. Have you even read my comment? I said he's obviously not a bad player but he seems to very often be the reason the opposition score.

This happened against Reading. He may have been the greatest defender the world has ever seen for 89 minutes but he's still cost us 2 goals.

Edit: "Cost" is harsh, but his positioning and reactions were poor meaning that the opposition got the chance to score. 

Edited by bobzy

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not at all. Have you even read my comment? I said he's obviously not a bad player but he seems to very often be the reason the opposition score.

This happened against Reading. He may have been the greatest defender the world has ever seen for 89 minutes but he's still cost us 2 goals.

Edit: "Cost" is harsh, but his positioning and reactions were poor meaning that the opposition got the chance to score. 

You said you didn't see why he was getting praise.That might be because you didn't see the game.

And he didn't cost us goals. You might have a point on the third goal, but his poor challenge was still followed by a ludicrous challenge from Bacuna to give the penalty away. It's a massive leap to blame chester for that. 

He cost us nothing yesterday. 

He's our best defender by an absolute mile. In fact he's our best player full stop. 

He's the only player in the squad clearly playing at a level that's beneath him. 

Edited by Stevo985

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You said you didn't see why he was getting praise.That might be because you didn't see the game.

And he didn't cost us goals. You might have a point on the third goal, but his poor challenge was still followed by a ludicrous challenge from Bacuna to give the penalty away. It's a massive leap to blame chester for that. 

He's our best defender by an absolute mile. In fact he's our best player full stop. 

He's the only player in the squad clearly playing at a level that's beneath him. 

This. If the rest of the team were playing to his level we'd be much higher up. Quality player. Couldn't say a bad word about him.

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Didn't cost us two goals.  Amavi made a balls of the first one and a lazy pass from lansbury started their break for the 2nd

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Again, no I didn't - I said I see a different player to the majority on here.  He's a good defender that makes a lot of mistakes.  I think part of the problem is that he's immensely keen to get the ball quickly.  Overall, this works well for him as he makes a lot of tackles and interceptions however, when he fails to do this, it basically leaves us a defender light with the attacking play being "goal side".

The second and third goals against Reading are poor defensively from Chester.  The second one is partly down to a good ball, but the attacker behind Chester basically has all the time in the world available to him as Chester has run toward the near post - not affecting the angle nor the attacker.  The exact same thing happened in the first half from a sloppy break when the Reading attacker skied the ball.  Chester is with him, then pushes up leaving the attacker in behind him but, again, instead of closing off the angle or trying to affect the attacker he just leaves him with a ton of room (if you watch the highlights on Sky Sports, it's about 1min 20secs in) - we're lucky this wasn't another goal.

I'm fine acknowledging that I see him different to others.  He's absolutely not our best player (Kodjia) and isn't clearly playing at a level that's beneath him.  He's a pretty solid defender with mistakes in him.  I've said it before, but Baker is almost the opposite.  Rarely makes mistakes but just isn't as good.

Considering where we are we are lucky to have him.

He's one of the few I look at in our team and think he's bottom half prem standard. Infact that's been his level last couple of years playing every week at Hull and at WBA albeit more out of position there.

He could still be at that level but having the status of captain here and obviously being very well paid is enough for now. Don't go up next year and think we'll lose him.

• Like 1

Â