Steve Clarke

brommy

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-steve-clarke-perfect-11424243

Gregg Evans. Updated 14:47, 3 Jun 2016

Aston Villa: Why Steve Clarke is the perfect No.2 for Roberto Di Matteo

The former Albion and Reading manager will be confirmed as the assistant manager to Di Matteo. Steve Clarke will fit into a No.2 role with ease - it’s why Roberto Di Matteo pushed so hard to add him to his team at Aston Villa .The tried and trusted assistant manager has worked with some of the best managers in the land and will bring vital knowledge and experience with him to the Midlands. But why he is so respected and why is he seen as such an important addition?

PLAYING CAREER. Clarke was a two-club man, making over 200 appearances for Scottish side St Mirren before spending 11 years at Chelsea. During his time with the Blues he won the FA Cup, the League Cup and the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup.

NO.2 EXPERIENCE. Is there a better assistant out there? If so, you’d be pushed to find one. Clarke worked with Jose Mourinho and Claudio Ranieri at Chelsea where he picked up on their meticulous ways and moulded them into his own way of working. Kenny Dalglish was a man he had huge respect for and during his time at Liverpool he helped lead the Reds to two cup finals and into Europe. Sir Bobby Robson (Newcastle) helped shape his future while he also dealt with crisis at West Ham under Gianfranco Zola when the club hit deep financial trouble. The Scot has certainly done his time in the trenches and will know exactly how to make things tick at Villa.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2016 at 16:29, Delphinho123 said:

I don't mind Di Matteo but he doesn't strike me as the kind of person that would take a baseball bat to Joleons knees. Clarke does. Good addition.

Or a rubber dildo, Hatchet Harry style

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

I think he's a very astute football coach, I think he's probably more suited to the no.2 role than no.1. I think he has great knowledge of the game and will add greatly to our football club. He has worked with some of the biggest names in football and that experience will only stand us in good stead. I am very excited about this appointment 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Quality No2

its whether these bits of good news turn in to success

fingers crossed.

Indeed. I remember Wilkins being a good appointment and being promised the world by Lerner. 

The optimism is back though and hugely infectious. I'm just looking forward to winning games and being competitive again first and foremost. 

Clarke is a great addition and a shrewd move by RDM. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Indeed. I remember Wilkins being a good appointment and being promised the world by Lerner. 

The optimism is back though and hugely infectious. I'm just looking forward to winning games and being competitive again first and foremost. 

Same. I had a dream last night that it was the last game of the season just gone and we lost 13-1 to Swansea. We were already down but I was almost inconsolable with rage because even I didn't think we could be that bad.

13 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Same. I had a dream last night that it was the last game of the season just gone and we lost 13-1 to Swansea. We were already down but I was almost inconsolable with rage because even I didn't think we could be that bad.

Suprised we even managed to score :P

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villan-scott said:

The optimism is back thought and hugely infectious. I'm just looking forward to winning games and being competitive again first and foremost. 

true about Wilkins but he came here for a last payday from the game, I think Clarke be here to hope get his credibility back up and get another job on his own which can only help us as well

Â