Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Just now, Stephen_Evans said:

I am sure OBE may have said before that there are only three cranes in Europe that can cope with the new roof and we need two of them.

Still, with no idea of how the construction industry works, there must be a German Cranez4You LTD business that might think 'Hmmm, it looks like there is a European shortage of those bad boys, let's build a couple of them and charge crazy money?'.

I'm sure it's simplifying things crazily, but how aren't there more cranes?! It's not a plane or an ocean worthy cargo ship, it's a big crane! 

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Still, with no idea of how the construction industry works, there must be a German Cranez4You LTD business that might think 'Hmmm, it looks like there is a European shortage of those bad boys, let's build a couple of them and charge crazy money?'.

I'm sure it's simplifying things crazily, but how aren't there more cranes?! It's not a plane or an ocean worthy cargo ship, it's a big crane! 

I'd guess that once you get to the scale of crane we're talking about, the potential loss of life if it goes wrong could be somewhat comparable to a cargo ship sinking. Imagine its lifting the roof onto the new stadium, a cable snaps, a strut breaks, the crane tips over and the stadium roof lands on a row of houses...

The strength needed for the materials and lack of flaws needed in the structure probably make it a very costly venture. But you would probably still expect there to be more than 3.

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'd guess that once you get to the scale of crane we're talking about, the potential loss of life if it goes wrong could be somewhat comparable to a cargo ship sinking. Imagine its lifting the roof onto the new stadium, a cable snaps, a strut breaks, the crane tips over and the stadium roof lands on a row of houses...

The strength needed for the materials and lack of flaws needed in the structure probably make it a very costly venture. But you would probably still expect there to be more than 3.

It will be more like how much use you're getting out of it. 

No one is going to invest mega millions in a huge super crane to have it sitting in a yard for a few months unused. They will want it in use all the time. 

That said I'm not convinced that's the issue. I'm sure roof sections can be made out of smaller, lighter pieces. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

It will be more like how much use you're getting out of it. 

No one is going to invest mega millions in a huge super crane to have it sitting in a yard for a few months unused. They will want it in use all the time. 

That said I'm not convinced that's the issue. I'm sure roof sections can be made out of smaller, lighter pieces. 

Yeah, I kind of meant that by the costly point... as well as the capital (loan) to build it,  by extension you then need it to be making money regularly. Maybe the demand isn't there normally and we're just at a peak time thanks to HS2.

No idea about the roof, or if OBE actually said that was the need, just going on what was said above.

With HS2 part 2 being canned maybe it's given us a green light to start a little earlier than the more pessimistic estimates had calculated. 

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

The current model in the states is the get more $$$ from less so I wouldn’t envisage there being any real push to raise the capacity to fully meet demand. It’s better to have a waiting list than empty seats. They’ll look to squeeze more £££ per seat first and foremost. 

I do think they maybe they could’ve been more ambitious with the capacity as the new and similarly designed Anfield Road end seats 16,000. 

I think investing over £100 million on the stadium to get us to a capacity we haven't seen for about 45 years is reasonably ambitious. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thabucks said:

I do think they maybe they could’ve been more ambitious with the capacity as the new and similarly designed Anfield Road end seats 16,000. 

How would all the extra fans will get to the ground? Any plans beyond the current ones will require significant infrastructure investments in the surrounding area (like a tram link).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

How would all the extra fans will get to the ground? Any plans beyond the current ones will require significant infrastructure investments in the surrounding area (like a tram link).

I don't think that would stop us. It's a one in a lifetime chance, you build to how you want but don't open all the seats until the transport infrastructure is in place

8 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I don't think that would stop us. It's a one in a lifetime chance, you build to how you want but don't open all the seats until the transport infrastructure is in place

I can't see the locals agreeing to the planning consent.

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

After a certain size, adding extra capacity is more expensive per seat. A couple of thousand extra seats could be achieved by adding wraparound corners to the North Stand upper tiers, although that would swing away from the club's design language of Villa Park's standalone structures (they're going halfway by wrapping around the lower tier).

I think the club will pause at 50k for a few seasons as they take stock of the demand at the seat and hospitality price points they wish to offer.

10 minutes ago, limpid said:

I can't see the locals agreeing to the planning consent.

I'm sure there were some locals that objected to the currently approved expansion. I guess it depends on how many locals object and whether planning approval is swayed by that.

Just now, brommy said:

I'm sure there were some locals that objected to the currently approved expansion. I guess it depends on how many locals object and whether planning approval is swayed by that.

Yes. And whether they can get out of their house on match days will be a factor. Which would likely be offset with having a tram for all the other days.

• Like 1

Traffic around Church Road would be improved immeasurably by a one way system only entering the vicinity via Grosvenor Rd > Queens Road and exiting via Church Road.   That would end a lot of the gridlock that occurs. 

They also used to always have a policeman controlling the lights at Church Road/Lichfield Road that worked really but they stopped it for some reason. 

• Like 2

Â