England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

What I don't understand with the subs is that they seemed to serve completely different purposes. If we were trying to protect the lead a more defensive midfielder than Wilshere would have been a better choice. Having brought Wilshere on for Rooney(and to be fair Wilshere looked pretty bright going forwards) the next sub removed Sterling for Milner which made us become more defensive. I don't rate Henderson but either he or even Bertrand would have been a better option than Wilshere if we were trying to protect the lead.

Is it just me or is an equal degree of negativity coming from people who don't agree with criticism of the overall performance (including the manager) from differing perspectives?

Just now, tom_avfc said:

What I don't understand with the subs is that they seemed to serve completely different purposes. If we were trying to protect the lead a more defensive midfielder than Wilshere would have been a better choice. Having brought Wilshere on for Rooney(and to be fair Wilshere looked pretty bright going forwards) the next sub removed Sterling for Milner which made us become more defensive. I don't rate Henderson but either he or even Bertrand would have been a better option than Wilshere if we were trying to protect the lead.

I'm not a huge Wilshere fan, but he keeps the ball. Probably better than anyone else in the team.

It made sense to me.

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

You are wrong, and negative and must die. :P

Here's how i saw it. 

6 - Hart. Not really troubled, could maybe have done better for the goal.

7 - Walker. Played well i thought, supported the attack well, may not get as much time against better opposition.

7 - Cahill. Comfortable against a pretty poor Russian attack. 

7 - Smalling. Like Cahill handled a pretty poor attack well. 

6 - Rose. Offered himself all night going forward, worries me a bit defensively but did ok.

9 - MOTM - Dier. This kid is becoming the first name on the team sheet. 

8 - Rooney. I'm one of his biggest critics but he did well i thought. He won't get anywhere near as much time against better opposition though. 

7 - Alli. Worked hard and showed glimpses of class, but faded as the game wore on.

6 - lallana. He is neat a tidy, and worked harder than anyone in that first half, but he just doesn't influence the game as much as he probably could. 

4 - Sterling. Poor. Literally no end product, I'll be amazed if he starts the next game.

5 - kane. For all our possession he didn't seem to get an awful lot of support from those around him. Had no real influence on the game. 

Overall i think we played well, but the defensive worries me and Roy needs to work on that attack. We won't have that much possession against better teams and to only score via a 30 yard free kick after totally dominating that first half is concerning. 

Just now, maqroll said:

You are wrong, and negative and must die. :P

You've missed the point.

I wasn't saying people shouldn't be negative. There is always something you can critique. The subs is a valid point even though I don't totally agree with it.

My problem was people claiming England were garbage or shit or generally failing to see how well we played, despite the result. It's crazy.

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Is it just me or is an equal degree of negativity coming from people who don't agree with criticism of the overall performance (including the manager) from differing perspectives?

I don't think so. There's reasoned criticisms and there's 'Russia are so poor and we couldn't break them, we are so terrible'-esque arguments which just don't don't paint a true picture of the game.

Edited by penguin
  • Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I'm not a huge Wilshere fan, but he keeps the ball. Probably better than anyone else in the team.

It made sense to me.

He was driving forwards and playing attacking passes though. If that's the way Hodgson wanted to play it then Vardy for Sterling would have been a better option to give him someone to pass to. If we just wanted to pass the ball around and keep possession then I think there's better options than Wilshere who would sit and knock the ball around from a deeper position. 

I don't think either sub was particularly bad, they just seemed a bit out of sync for me if anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

You've missed the point.

I wasn't saying people shouldn't be negative. There is always something you can critique. The subs is a valid point even though I don't totally agree with it.

My problem was people claiming England were garbage or shit or generally failing to see how well we played, despite the result. It's crazy.

I thought you guys looked very strong in the first half, but let a hapless Russian side get their feet, a bit of belief, and voila! 1-1. 

Typical England in that they coughed it up at the death and were hampered by the manager yet again.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Worrying over other peoples opinions on something that doesn't really matter. Nothing so ridiculously useless.

Thanks Confucius

4 minutes ago, penguin said:

I don't think so. There's reasoned criticisms and there's 'Russia are so poor and we couldn't break them, we are so terrible'-esque arguments which just don't don't paint a true picture of the game.

Fair enough, I haven't read back too far on this thread, so I'm half-talking bollocks.

Rooney had a good game, he will be found out in midfield against better teams but tonight he was good and difference him coming off is not to be overlooked. world class save kept him off the scoresheet

the problem we will have for me is rooney,we can't play him in midfield in the last 2 games as he'll be by passed to easily.

dier is class though

Edited by krisagg75

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It made sense to me.

Makes sense to me too. Hell, putting Milner on to put some more fresh legs in midfield makes sense. What I don't like is sitting back and letting Russia have the ball. We kept possession most of the game. Granted, being a goal down gives Russia the impetus to attack but we just dropped back and got way too nervous, that is down to negative tactics which the subs were brought on to do. 

Bring them on and play keep ball. Bring Vardy on earlier to try and harass them further up the field. The tactics aren't bad in theory but it's the first truly competitive game for a number of our players and the opening game of our tournament. Nerves are already high and our defence is our weakest part of the team. Why tempt fate like that?

Edited by Ginko