England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

Well I thought we played fairly well. We pressed and closed down well, played with energy and passed reasonably well. I thought Rooney had a decent game. We controlled the tempo and we were incredibly unlucky not to have won. Our finishing let us down and we switched off for the equaliser but in my opinion we played as well as I've seen us play in a long time. 

Maybe im too used to watching Villa though? 

Rooney slows everything down and ruins the flow of the team. His passes are consistently behind or right at a player when it should be played into stride. Very unlucky overall, but if you do the whole let's all camp in our box like Villa thing, well...

As long as Hodgson doesn't panic, things should be ok... but if Wales take the lead.

Ah, Ingurlund, never let me down :D

• Like 1

All my mates at my house thought we played crap, yet we see (and when I text others) that people think we played well.. Never got in behind a very poor Russia, few half chances where we should've done better..

Roy needs to play to our strengths, why didn't vardy come on? Still not convinced byRooney  in midfield. 

We won't scare anyone...

As for the crowd trouble, sick of the media saying its all England when the Russians are worse

Edited by mikeyp102

Rooney slows everything down and ruins the flow of the team. His passes are consistently behind or right at a player when it should be played into stride. Very unlucky overall, but if you do the whole let's all camp in our box like Villa thing, well...

As long as Hodgson doesn't panic, things should be ok... but if Wales take the lead.

Ah, Ingurlund, never let me down [emoji3]

Rooney was outstanding and certainly put to bed the idea that he should've not been in the first XI.

If Wales take the lead, I don't think it will make much difference. Slovakia have absolutely nothing and still created plenty of chances.

• Like 1

Not just here, There were people on Twitter declaring England as "shit" and "garbage" at half time.

I'm disappointed because we should have won. But how people can just ignore the positives of that game is beyond me.

I might avoid social media for the duration of the tournament. It's full of morons.

I went to watch it with a friend and he had a bunch of his friends over. At half time "we are so shit, this is embarrassing, Wales and France looked far better", then the same at the end of the game. I pointed out we have had the most shots at the tournament so far and apparently "you obviously aren't playing well if they don't go in". So if Rooneys shot was an inch to the left, one of Lallanas was a few inches to the right, we'd have scored 3 and won and suddenly we would have been great? Yet it would've made absolutely no difference to the actual performance.

I had to tell him I can't watch games with people like that, it's like they enjoy complaining and they clearly lack any kind of logic. Morons, exactly the correct word.

• Like 1

This match, along with previous tournaments, proves that we need a HUGE change in the English system if we are going to even have any chance at succeeding at international tournaments.

ISSUE 1 - MANAGER: Now, we all love Woy, but he is even more stone-age than Pulis, and he is now choosing very questionable choices for his lineup and tactics. If he were the Spain or Germany manager, he would have been fired at least two years ago.

ISSUE 2 - OVERRATED PLAYERS: English fans love their players, and try to rank them beside the best in the world. This isn't true at all. Kane, probably our best English striker at the moment, would score far less goals in Liga BBVA than actual world-class players such as Suarez, Ronaldo etc.

This leads onto my third issue...

ISSUE 3 - NOBODY PLAYING FOREIGN: Transfers happen every day, many in, many out. In the Premier League, most of our top players now make up of either South American countries or Spain/Belgium. It isn't unusual to find someone foreign in our leagues. But how many top English players are in the likes of Liga BBVA and likewise? I can't think of any, other than Gary Lineker for Barcelona a very long time ago. They realise we are overpaid and overrated, and our players are obviously not as good as theirs.

ISSUE 4 - YOUTH DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM/PREMIER LEAGUE: The Premier League is the richest league in the world. However, it is English. How many top English players are in it? Only about 30/40. How many in Liga BBVA? A lot. Our youth systems can attract the best in the world, they just can't get near enough games to be good. The moment they go elsewhere, they suddenly boom in value thanks to first team experience. The Premier League also has a very interesting game, one that is fast and physical for all we know. Trimming this down a bit and making teams more technical will prevent the injuries that plague our English team so much.

So what are the solutions?

ISSUE 1: Get a world-class manager who gets the best out of his attacking players. Just not Di Matteo, please, he is ours.

ISSUE 2: Really can't be solved for a long time.

ISSUE 3: See issue 4 for answers.

ISSUE 4: This is the long one. First of all, I believe a rule should be established in the Premier League that many other divisions use: a maximum amount of foreign players in your entire first eleven/subs. This will allow English players to get the PROPER game-time that will allow them to flourish. Next, we should take a similar path that Germany did after 2000, an entire restructure of the development system, if you will. This can't be achieved at the moment, because the FA are absolute boll*cks. Come on, we all know they have a terrible setup. Maybe try appointing some foreigners who are more experienced, for petes sake, us Englishmen are very bad at our jobs!

Nation that suffered an embarrassing Euro 2000 now boasts both Champions League finalists thanks to a system that values coaches and nurtures indigenous talent

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

TL;DR - We are dooooooooomed!

Edited by meme

ISSUE 2 - OVERRATED PLAYERS: English fans love their players, and try to rank them beside the best in the world. This isn't true at all. Kane, probably our best English striker at the moment, would score far less goals in Liga BBVA than actual world-class players such as Suarez, Ronaldo etc./

I agree we have some overrated players and agree with some other stuff you put, but not sure I understand the point here.

Ronaldo and Suarez are two of the top 5 players in the World, is it really an issue that none of our players would score less than them?

Is there a German player who would score 35+ league goals in La Liga? No. A Brazilian? No. Is there anyone not named Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez (and probably Lewandowski and Higuain) that would? Probably not.

Not having a top 5 player in the World is not a problem. It's completely normal. The last 3 World Champions main goal getters were Thomas Muller, David Villa and Luca Toni. None of them have ever been "World class" goalscorers IMO. I know you were using Kane as an example, but it's not the issue. I don't think anyone rates him among Ronaldo or Suarez, either.

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I agree we have some overrated players and agree with some other stuff you put, but not sure I understand the point here.

Ronaldo and Suarez are two of the top 5 players in the World, is it really an issue that none of our players would score less than them?

Is there a German player who would score 35+ league goals in La Liga? No. A Brazilian? No. Is there anyone not named Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez (and probably Lewandowski and Higuain) that would? Probably not.

Not having a top 5 player in the World is not a problem. It's completely normal. The last 3 World Champions main goal getters were Thomas Muller, David Villa and Luca Toni. None of them have ever been "World class" goalscorers IMO. I know you were using Kane as an example, but it's not the issue. I don't think anyone rates him among Ronaldo or Suarez, either.

Eh. I tried. :detect:

I thought we played well last night and dominated possession and territory, however saying that we didn't bombard their goal at all.

Akinfiev had to make one seriosuly decent save from Rooney and flapped at the free kick, other than that, he made a few regulation saves that would be expected of him.

I thought our main problem last night was overcomplicating things in the final third, too many attempted intricate extra passes to walk the ball into the net.

Kane taking corners is plainly dumb as he is a good header of the ball and should be a target for our attacking set plays.

Rooney did well but as mentioned, he does slow things up a little (and is spaffed over too much by Clive Tildsely in commentary - even if a pass doesn't make it's intended recipient!)

Bizarrely, I thought that was Sterlings best performance for a long time - he was direct, quick and stretched the defence - unfortunately, he has no ability to cross on his left foot so always cuts back inside and is therefore easy to manage.

I rated the performances of both full-backs who offered in both defence and attack, which was great to see.

Woy tried to sew the game up by introducing Milner and Wilshire. The former was a mistake as Woy should've put Vardy on for Kane, giving us a more counter-attacking threat and a quicker outlet when Russia were attacking.

Big game on Thursday but one I can see us winning. We weren't terrible by a long stretch and I was more impressed with Slovakia than I was Wales (don't know whether they're better than touted or Wales not as good as the media want us to believe).

The way Slovakia like to tackle (and already having 4 players on yellow cards) it wouldn't surprise me if they have a few suspended players by the time we play them a week on Monday.

All is not lost with the draw but we don't make it easy for ourselves do we?

The problem with bringing Vardy on whilst we we winning is that it looks very foolish when you then concede a goal (Villa Leicester).

I think some fresh defensive legs in the middle of the park was what I would have done. At that point Russia had offered very little and England should have comfortably seen out the win. 

It's very easy to be wise after the event. 

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Akinfeev had to make one seriosuly decent save from Rooney and flapped at the free kick, other than that, he made a few regulation saves that would be expected of him.

I was quite surprised to hear a few people say that Akinfeev played well. I thought he was really, really poor. One good save, then made some really awful decisions that I would be surprised to see Guzan even make.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

All my mates at my house thought we played crap.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion, England neat Russia in every area apart from goals. You don't do that playing crap.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not sure how you come to that conclusion, England neat Russia in every area apart from goals. You don't do that playing crap.

Where I watched it, multiple people said we were "embarrassing". They seem to think good performance = winnings, or that poor finishing = playing shit. 

As for "not getting in behind". I thought we did it a lot. There were 3/4 times we were in behind and smashed a ball across the ball looking for someone to get on the end of it. Walker alone got in behind a number of times and played excellent pull backs, Lallana too. 

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

I never knew so many England fans wanted "Randy Lerner Out" until I realised last night that they were singing "Don't take me home" :D:D:D.   Bit harsh a nation wanting him out of the country as well as Villa Park.  :D:D:D

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 4

The Russian goal was a combination of us getting tired and their superior physical endeavour.

yet again we fail to get our foot in or disrupt their approach play at crucial moments in the game.

James Milner was guilty and earlier for a cross they got their heads to which he failed to cut out.

We played well for large periods of the game in a general sense, but individual short comings are still evident imo.

They remind me at times of (a much better version of )us.

• Like 1

I think criticism of Woy was a bit harsh. He played an attacking line up and we deserved to win comfortably. I've been critical of him in the past but we could have easily won 3-0 last night and if we did, people would be praising him until the cows came home.