England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

So if we get knocked out of yet another major tournament in the group stages, will Hodgson finally be given the boot? He's outstayed his welcome by 2 years.

I think if we do then yes, there is no way he can carry on. Not with the resources he has and the amount he is paid! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I went to watch it with a friend and he had a bunch of his friends over. At half time "we are so shit, this is embarrassing, Wales and France looked far better", then the same at the end of the game. I pointed out we have had the most shots at the tournament so far and apparently "you obviously aren't playing well if they don't go in". So if Rooneys shot was an inch to the left, one of Lallanas was a few inches to the right, we'd have scored 3 and won and suddenly we would have been great? Yet it would've made absolutely no difference to the actual performance.

I had to tell him I can't watch games with people like that, it's like they enjoy complaining and they clearly lack any kind of logic. Morons, exactly the correct word.

I had a similar debate with the people I was watching it with. I said at full time we were unlucky and played really well. Queue the argument - we couldn't even beat Russia so we're shit, and how can you say we played well if we didn't win? I tried to explain but the counter argument was always "we didn't win so we're a waste of space and all our players are crap, typical England" etc... 

It does my head in watching football with people like that. 

Rooney played pretty well (way better than expectd) but it really annoys me at just how quick he looks for switch. Swap for wilshire seemed redic standard, no idea how people moaned at that.
Sterling should have come off at 60ish min...played really well in first half but yeh, just killed far too many of our attacks in the 2nd.
Vardy or sturridge at some point for sterling or kane.

Only criticisms i can think of really. And for the first game of a tourny, cant complain too much. Such over the top reactions from some. Just got unlucky really

Edited by gharperr
variance :)
  • Like 1

I think irrelevant of how we get on in this tournament Roy will keep his job. There are no viable replacements out there and the FA seem to like what he is doing. Unless they keep him on in a kind of advisory role and have Southgate or Neville take over.

20 hours ago, useless said:

"Can't believe so many people are being so negative. I hate football fans sometimes.

Cheer the **** up you miserable words removed"

That's what I call worrying about other people's opinions.

It's a football forum. It's literally for discussing each other's opinions.

If you have a problem with that, you're probably in the wrong place.

13 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I went to watch it with a friend and he had a bunch of his friends over. At half time "we are so shit, this is embarrassing, Wales and France looked far better", then the same at the end of the game. I pointed out we have had the most shots at the tournament so far and apparently "you obviously aren't playing well if they don't go in". So if Rooneys shot was an inch to the left, one of Lallanas was a few inches to the right, we'd have scored 3 and won and suddenly we would have been great? Yet it would've made absolutely no difference to the actual performance.

I had to tell him I can't watch games with people like that, it's like they enjoy complaining and they clearly lack any kind of logic. Morons, exactly the correct word.

It was the best performance of the tournament so far, imo.

We let ourselves down by not taking our chances, but I haven't seen a team play better than that yet.

Then you can compare it to our usual opening games in tournaments and it looks positive.

Our best ever tournaments, '66, '90, '96, '04 all started with worse performances and/or results than that. 

Better teams usually grow into tournaments. If we do that this time around then it was a good start.

Edited by Stevo985

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

So if we get knocked out of yet another major tournament in the group stages, will Hodgson finally be given the boot? He's outstayed his welcome by 2 years.

Almost certainly.

But we won't be knocked out in the group stage.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was the best performance of the tournament so far, imo.

We let ourselves down by not taking our chances, but I haven't seen a team play better than that yet.

Then you can compare it to our usual opening games in tournaments and it looks positive.

Our best ever tournaments, '66, '90, '96, '04 all started with worse performances and/or results than that. 

Better teams usually grow into tournaments. If we do that this time around then it was a good start.

Croatia played very well against a better team than Russia, therefore I'd say that was a better performance. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Croatia played very well against a better team than Russia, therefore I'd say that was a better performance. 

Debatable, but regardless if it's the SECOND best performance so far, it's hardly the disaster certain people have been making it out to be, is it?