England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

The performance of England was not the problem. Its the fact he had a guy sitting on the bench who scored 24 Premier League goals last season not getting a minute. Lallana and Sterling are not going to score too many goals and Kane looked very heavy legged so why didn't Vardy get on! 

• Like 2

The biggest negatives for me was the performances of Sterling and Kane.

Sterling was ok first half, but second half he was poor. His decisions making was non-existant.

Kane wasn't great either. I don't know if you can drop him though, Roy could do worse than show faith in him. I think I'd start him in the next game again but take him off if he hasn't improved.

Wouldn't mind Vardy in for Sterling, but unsure how you'd change the system to accommodate him and whether it would be a good idea to do that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wouldn't mind Vardy in for Sterling, but unsure how you'd change the system to accommodate him and whether it would be a good idea to do that.

It couldn't make it worse, I don't think. Sterling does nothing defensively. He presses alright, but Vardy does as well.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

It couldn't make it worse, I don't think. Sterling does nothing defensively. He presses alright, but Vardy does as well.

Like for like it might not make things worse. But if he puts Vardy in I think he'll change the system. That's what I was getting at.

The system worked vs Russia. I think changing that would be the wrong thing to do.

All he needs to do is drop Sterling & Lallana and get Vardy on. 

Im fed up of Roy though, no guts, no urgency. We need someone who has more charisma than a stale malted milk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I wouldn't drop Lallana. Didn't finish well, but he played some excellent stuff with Walker.

This.

First half he was one of our best players. Good performance, and I don't particularly rate him.

8 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

All he needs to do is drop Sterling & Lallana and get Vardy on. 

I know he has had a good season but he cant do the job of 2 men. 

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You say obviously but I'm not so sure. The idiots at the FA didn't sack him after 2014.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it had basically already been decided that he'd go if we went out in the group stages, but to be fair I can't find where I read that so maybe I dreamed it after all. 

I suspect he'll leave no matter how we do to be honest. Not many international managers do four consecutive tournaments. It'll probably be more of a 'mutual consent, job upstairs' sort of thing than a sacking though. 

This is what I'd have done around the 60 minute mark:

Hart

Walker    Cahill     Smalling     Rose

Rooney        Dier      Wilshere*

Ali

Vardy**   Kane***

* on for Stirling (60)

** on for Lallana (60)

*** off for Milner if it's still 1-0 by the 80th minute, Dier drops back in front of the CBs, Milner drops into the midfield line with the other three.

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This.

First half he was one of our best players. Good performance, and I don't particularly rate him.

Same, I don't rate him and groaned when I saw him starting but he was chasing down everything and giving it his all. The quality was lacking (as it was with everyone else) but it's hard not to appreciate a player busting a gut for 90 minutes. Rather him than Henderson or Stirling.

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Debatable, but regardless if it's the SECOND best performance so far, it's hardly the disaster certain people have been making it out to be, is it?

Now the third best, after Germany ;) It really wasn't that good of a performance given how awful Russia are.

16 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Now the third best, after Germany ;) It really wasn't that good of a performance given how awful Russia are.

Id' say that's a bit debatable too.

Germany looked good going forward, very good, but they conceded a hell of a lot more chances than England did at the back, their fullbacks especially were quite poor, and if it wasn't for Neuer showing his class and a great clearance from Boateng they could easily have been in the same position as England.

But, again, my point still stands. it wasn't the garbage performance from England that people were claiming it to be.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1