Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

He's not top of my list by several places but hes had - I think - 3 Championship Titles and 3 play off finals.

So I fail to see the reason for your doom laden view.  Like so many on here you seem very easily against someone, for no really obvious reason.

Mick McCarthy isn't the answer just ask any Wolves fan.

He may have won the Championship in 2004/5 with Sunderland & in 2008/9 with Wolves but he sets his teams up to play boring football.

The Wolves fans were over the moon to see the back of him and his sidekick Terry Conner.

David Moyes also isn't the answer!

Personally it has to be Dyche or Pearson.

• Like 1

Just now, Uppernorthstander said:

Yes he has a good record so you've made v good point... But long term would he be right appointment surely we should be looking for the future a bit more? Would we want him to lead us back into a premiership season? IMO no. 

I don't think he is long term for a minute, agreed.

But there is the rub.....what is the priority, and can we afford 2 priorities ?

We MUST get straight back up.  IMO that matters more than 'long term'. Most long term appointments in football never last anyway (what is average tenure nowadays, 18 months ?).  And there is the bonus that someone who gets us up is unlikely to do it without sorting the crap out, so the new guy can have a decent 'project'.

For me, that is why, on balance, I would be happy enough with Mcarthy, Pearson, Bruce, Dyche, etc (any) - its all a gamble but lets get the best chance of instant promotion. Or my preferred choice Rodgers, who has both.

Not saying I don't want Moyes or I cant see his qualities, but the more recent success in the League would clinch it for me I think.

Certainly wouldn't say we were fcd if we got him anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dorset77Villa said:

He may have won the Championship in 2004/5 with Sunderland & in 2008/9 with Wolves but he sets his teams up to play boring football.

The Wolves fans were over the moon to see the back of him and his sidekick Terry Conner.

I'll take one more year of drab football if it means getting promoted. Drab winning>Drab losing.

7 minutes ago, Dorset77Villa said:

Well my brother is a Wolves fan and he thought he did a great job, so you take your pick.  I would choose his record over fans views, after all they were desparate by the time he went, with an owner who had underfunded the way Lerner has.

Again, not saying it must be him (by a long way !) but I do think we as fans need to be very very clear what we want.

I want just one thing next season. Promotion. I would take anyone (apart from Redknapp of course) who got us that.  As it happens I think there are half a dozen decent candidates with no single outstanding one.

10 minutes ago, Dorset77Villa said:

He was responsible for them getting relegated wasn't he! Ipswich are a awful side to watch. 

9 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Whilst neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you, this raises the interesting idea of an opposite Poll - "who do you least want".because I'm not at all sure your interpretation of fans desires is the same as mine.  Whilst Moyes is clear front runner, I haven't heard (in the real world !) too many oppose Bruce, Pearson, or Mcarthy.  Even on here where there are a few who certainly don't want XY or Z there hasn't been much of a groundswell against anyone, IMO.

I've heard a few oppose Bruce because he was one of 'theirs' and I know I'm not alone in not wanting to be represented by Pearson. I think both of those come with baggage (although Bruce for me is a much better option), I think McCarthy would be under immediate scrutiny - in order to make the support happy, I think they've got to find somebody who is either immediately respected or immediately loved. I can only really see Moyes of those that have been talked about fitting into the first category and I'm struggling in the seance category, Mellberg? Laursen? It seems unlikely at least.

For me, Moyes or Bruce and then a distance to Gullit, Dyche and Monk, then a distance to Southgate and McCarthy and Coleman, then for me, a distance again to Pearson. I'd prefer Neville to Pearson. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

We can look at teams like West Ham, Southampton and Leicester, who are doing very well with their tactically astute overseas managers and say " we should do that" and we did, with Garde, but the difference is, with those teams. a less 'fashionable' manager had put the foundations down which allowed messrs Bilic, Poch/Koeman and Ranieri, to build on and improve. Without the work of Adkins, Allardyce and Pearson, they perhaps wouldn't have been as successful. I'm sure Garde would have done better in an environment that had a decent foundation and wasn't as toxic as we currently are

We need to stop looking at the next manager as anything other than someone who can come in and do a specific job for us. That job is to stop the rot and get us promoted. We can worry about what to do or who to appoint after that. Its managers like Pearson, Dyche, Bruce and even McCarthy who will get that job done. They've got the experience of doing jobs like that. That's what we need.

What worries me is that if someone like Pearson or McCarthy is appointed then they would already be written off by a percentage of the fan base who think we have a divine right to have a 'better' manager. We don't, we are utter shit at the present time and we need someone who can work in an environment like that.

My preference would be Dyche, although I don't think he would leave Burnley after promotion, so my second choice is Pearson. I think he would do well for us and do exactly the type of job we need. 

I agree with your assessment that our new manager needs to be the man to complete the first step of our recovery. He doesn't necessarily need to be the man who will be in charge for years and years.

I don't, however, agree that the right man is Nigel Pearson. Not in a million years.

• Like 1

Where people put Pearson down their list because compared to others on the List his acheivements are, in their view, not as good,(I would disagree with some, not others) fair enough IMO

I'm afraid those who do it for some sort of 'way he is' or 'way he speaks' reason make absolutely no sense to me.

Practically every Manager who ever achieved anything was half mad, or arrogant, or rude, or away with the fairies, or whatever.and calling someone a bird is a long way from that. And I, and a reasonable number (granted, not all) of my footballing chums, see in some of the other interviews a perfectly understandable, even likeable, disdain for the purile journalists, which we have seen from many other Managers over the years.

As one simple example, if that is the criteria, we can't appoint Mourinho either. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Where people put Pearson down their list because compared to others on the List his acheivements are, in their view, not as good,(I would disagree with some, not others) fair enough IMO

I'm afraid those who do it for some sort of 'way he is' or 'way he speaks' reason make absolutely no sense to me.

Practically every Manager who ever achieved anything was half mad, or arrogant, or rude, or away with the fairies, or whatever.and calling someone a bird is a long way from that. And I, and a reasonable number (granted, not all) of my footballing chums, see in some of the other interviews a perfectly understandable, even likeable, disdain for the purile journalists, which we have seen from many other Managers over the years.

As one simple example, if that is the criteria, we can't appoint Mourinho either. 

It's a combination. And once again, there's a difference between being a bit mad/arrogant and being an outright bully and no I'm not talking about the ostrich incident.

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

My worry is that the board will see somebody like Pearson as a disciplinarian just because he comes across as "hard". Moyes would definitely fit the bill though.

dont know if he would, from Rio Ferdinand it doesnt really tell if United players had any respect for him and they are top players compared to Man City rejects we have

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Ok my apologies to sne of course he's not eligible. So yes he is a moron, but so am i lol

Easily missed, it's just that he as an "expert" probably should know these things. And especially fact check before he publishes a piece in the national papers :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

It's a combination. And once again, there's a difference between being a bit mad/arrogant and being an outright bully and no I'm not talking about the ostrich incident.

Yeah I know Mantis, and you know my view, we go around and around ! In many ways I want to leave it but I just don't get it.

So as I say, if you don't rate his achievements that much, fair dos', that's opinions, fine. I think his recent achievements justify him being considered.

But exactly how much evidence do you have that he is a bully ?  Because I just don't see it.  Leave out the Ostrich then. What do we have that says 'bully' ?

I don't want to put words in your mouth but, for example, do you include the Pat Murphy interview ?

Because I know a couple of guys that do - but myself, and another couple of guys I know, think he was spot on.  We think he was being bullied by Murphy  - and think he came across very restrained, very patient.  Now again, each to their own, but surely you can accept that it is just opinion, not fact ?  Certainly not enough to condemn a guy.We don't have even a millionth of the guys life to examine.  Isn't it harsh to utterly condemn someone in the type of position these Managers are in for coming across (to some) stroppy in an 'interview'. ?

Do you include the muttered 'prick' ?  If so, why ?   Why does muttering that make him a bully, he wasn't shouting it at a small child, he was muttering it about a professional person (and one who had indeed just made a pathetically feeble comment, as most of them do most of the time). Careless ? Yes.  Why bully ?

So that's the only 2 I can think of, my God I hope nobody ever takes my, or your, worst 2 or 3  moments and decides your character from it !

• Like 3