Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Just now, BOF said:

Exactly what I'm dreading.  You just know the kind of moaning that's going to happen in here when the realities of being a Championship club shopping in a Championship market hit home and people refuse to accept the links being made and the players being bought.  It's not going to be pretty.

Oh for the days of marlon Harewood

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

There were Hull fans on their message boards offering to drive him to VP.  That says enough for me.

When our opinions on the previous manager range from "Remi is a good manager, was on a hiding to nothing here and will be a success in the future" to "The worst manager in our and Premier League history" I REALLY don't take what fans say too seriously. They're 4th and potentially 4 points off the top.

• Like 2

The list of candidates is more depressing than I could ever imagine. Just don't understand why the manager has to be British, Karanka is not british and had no championship experience before, he has done well. We need a board with a vision, that hires managers that fit the clubs vision, looking at the favorites, can anyone imagine our new board has any vision at all on how the club should be playing ? Look at Southampton, Swansea and Leicester, even though their managers left or were fired, they continued to play the same way they did before, buying players that fit the club instead of the manager,

And to people saying that Pearson did well to get Leicester promoted, he had to nearly break the financial fair play to do so, he clearly isn't buying the players and struggled last season with a squad that might finish as champions this season. 

David Moyes would be alright, but has not done well in his last two jobs, but he was alright at Everton, with one stand out season, would be my choice out of the favorites, but he does not inspire me much.

Steve Bruce is just a BIG no no, will be livid if they hire him ! 

Mick McCarthy ! has a great championship record, but if we got promoted, would we just fire him ? I would NEVER trust him in the Premier League.

The rest of the candidates are not very overwhelming. Gary Rowett would be my personal choice, as he has done very well everywhere he has been with limited resources.  

On reflection there are more players for us that I would hope we keep than I thought there would be.  I originally and quite dramatically said they can all **** off but I hope we manage to retain the following (including U21s who have seen some first team opportunity so far not talking about all the U21s)

Okore

Amavi

Sulliman

Mason

Gueye

Veretout

Gil

Traore

Lyden

Ayew

Green

Kozak

Sellars

Amazed it is that many. I aprticularly would like to retain Amavi on the left and Traore on the right as I think they will be quality in the championship.  I also think Okore will improve dramatically in that league if we can add a partner to the central defence for him and have clark and baker as back up that should be ok for the back two.  ust need a new right back.  Midfield I think we will need some cover in the centre and wide left / right.  Up front we are weak and weaker if Ayew goes.  But on that basis I think we will need a goalie,  two for defence (right and centre) two in midfield and two up front.. 

• Like 3

I understand the club wanting a British manager.  Now more than ever they need to be risk-averse.  Do you really want to take another chance having just gone down?  Do you want the possibility of going down again, if the chance you take doesn't work out?  Or do you try to steady the ship and come straight back up?  There's a time for experimentation and this most certainly is not it.

I'll wait and see who they hire before passing comment on them, rather than picking fault in the approach before it has yielded anything.  Ultimately the only thing that matters is whether the new man does a good job, rather than where he's from, so how about we stop moaning about where he was or was not born?

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Exactly what I'm dreading.  You just know the kind of moaning that's going to happen in here when the realities of being a Championship club shopping in a Championship market hit home and people refuse to accept the links being made and the players being bought.  It's not going to be pretty.

You mean we haven't been shopping in a Championship market for the last 5 years or so!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Amazed it is that many. I aprticularly would like to retain Amavi on the left and Traore on the right as I think they will be quality in the championship.  I also think Okore will improve dramatically in that league if we can add a partner to the central defence for him and have clark and baker as back up that should be ok for the back two.  ust need a new right back.  Midfield I think we will need some cover in the centre and wide left / right.  Up front we are weak and weaker if Ayew goes.  But on that basis I think we will need a goalie,  two for defence (right and centre) two in midfield and two up front.. 

I'll be surprised if we hold on to Amavi, Gueye, Veretout, & Ayew.  Obviously Amavi is dependent upon his injury, but he's not much use here if the only reason we have him is that he's crocked, so in that sense I don't think we have him next season either way.

Just now, pacbuddies said:

You mean we haven't been shopping in a Championship market for the last 5 years or so!

At the risk of quoting Bachman Turner Overdrive.  You ain't seen nothing yet.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I'll be surprised if we hold on to Amavi, Gueye, Veretout, & Ayew.  Obviously Amavi is dependent upon his injury, but he's not much use here if the only reason we have him is that he's crocked, so in that sense I don't think we have him next season either way.

Dont know to be honest I think staying with us until the winter window is a good option for him as it ensures he gets fit and he can impress potential suiters.  I think out of the players youve mentioned,  and I would agree it will be hard to keep them all,  that he is more likely to stay than the others.  At least until january ;-)

15 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

And to people saying that Pearson did well to get Leicester promoted, he had to nearly break the financial fair play to do so, he clearly isn't buying the players and struggled last season with a squad that might finish as champions this season. 

How I thought their squad cost virtually nothing

Edited by PaulC

Just now, PaulC said:

How its prob the cheapest squad in the Premier League?

He's right

The Football League has said it is in ongoing discussions with Leicester City over whether it has met the 2013-14 financial fair play (FFP) rules, after the club posted a £20.8m loss and said that with adjustments, it is “in compliance” with the regulations.

28 minutes ago, BOF said:

I understand the club wanting a British manager.  Now more than ever they need to be risk-averse.  Do you really want to take another chance having just gone down?  Do you want the possibility of going down again, if the chance you take doesn't work out?  Or do you try to steady the ship and come straight back up?  There's a time for experimentation and this most certainly is not it.

I'll wait and see who they hire before passing comment on them, rather than picking fault in the approach before it has yielded anything.  Ultimately the only thing that matters is whether the new man does a good job, rather than where he's from, so how about we stop moaning about where he was or was not born?

Every manager is a risk, the difference between the list of british mangers that are favorites and maybe someone else is that the British managers on the list are VERY limited in skill and entertaining style, 

Wolves were relegated in successive seasons, they had two managers in the championship, Ståle Solbakken and Dean Saunders, Solbakken did better than Saunders,though he did not do well and as a person from the Danish Kingdom, I can say that it was a catastrophe that he was hired in the first place, his record at Koln in germany was depressing.

Wigan hired Owen Coyle when they went down, he was very very bad, they then went for german Uwe Rosler who nearly got the team promoted. and on their second relegation season they went through a list of British managers. 

Watford were promoted with some eastern european manager last season, Norwich had an unproven Scottish manager. Karanka is looking like he will get his team promoted this season. 

Milwall were relegated with their experienced British manager last season (Ian Holloway). Wigan the same as mentioned above and I won't talk about Blackpool as they did not have and players left.  (the other teams relegated the last few seasons are unfair to mention, as they were all favorites to go down, even though most of them had British managers)

The reason so few non British managers have been promoted from the championship is because there have been so few foreign mangers there. Some have done well others have not, which is just the same as the British managers.. To be successful you have to take chances, hiring Bruce, McCarthy or whoever does not guarantee success more than any other manager. I would rather we hired a manager that got some excitement back to Villa park and that has the potential to become someone special instead of an older "safe" boring British manager that might get us promoted but will probably also get us relegated again.

P.s The manager I want is Gary Rowett who is British ;) I just don't understand why the board would limit their search in that way

Edited by Chicken Field

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

But how do we know how good he is. He hasn't had enough jobs or been in management long enough to form an overall view. Building that Leicester squad, getting them promotion, keeping them up and creating the foundations from which Ranieri has been able them to another level shows his qualities. Its never bothered me whether i liked a person or not. Garde seemed like a very nice man but at the end of the day he failed to get anything out of this crop of players, in many ways when he left the players confidence were in a much lower state than when he joined. I want a manager thats not just tough but can inspire the players. 

We don't fully know how good he is. But that works both ways, and I strongly suspect he's not as good as some people think.

I'd have much more confidence in managers like Bruce and Moyes and McCarthy because we know what they bring.

The garde point is totally irrelevant really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

So if people had a choice out of the current 2 favourites who would you pick? Pearson or Bruce?

Personally, I'd go for Pearson.

Bruce by a mile.

• Like 2

None of us can really know how any new manager will do. Whether that's Bruce, Moyes, Pearson or whoever. 

One thing I do know though is we should all get behind him and support the team next year. It's a new start and requires positivity all round if we're to have any chance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Eric Black has been allowed to hire an assistant manager. I would say that means we aren't getting anyone soon. I also think it rules out Moyes and even Pearson maybe.

There's no reason that our short-term manager hiring his short-term assistant would rule out any other candidate taking over in the summer.  I'm not sure how you've made that leap unless you think the assistant will be hanging around this summer after his manager, Black, has departed.

Our best chance of getting Moyes was IMO to make him an offer now. If we wait until the summer he may have other options. I think Blacks new assistant wouldn't have been allowed if a new manager was incoming shortly.