Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 hour ago, Ghostdog said:

Deal has been agreed with the new manager, but he won't take over until relegation is confirmed. No-one will tell me who it is though :angry:

If this is true (I'm not convinced it is), then I would find it highly unlikely we would have made an agreement with a manager who is currently employed by another club being as we are at the business end of the season.

That means the manager must be currently unemployed IMO, so that means Pearson or Moyes.

If it's John Carver or Dwight Yorke then I will stop supporting the club right away :lol:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Must admit I too was a little disappointed when you revealed you weren't Lerner.  Although, thinking about it, that's precisely what Lerner would say.  So now I'm not so sure again.

Lerner would have signed up on the wrong teams forum ;)

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Funny, I was just thinking the other day "the only thing we need now to make our misery complete is for an ITK to come on the scene pretending they know what is going on inside the club".

And lo, my wish was granted.

:bang:  :puke:

• Like 1

i think when the club is finally relegated, a new manager will be put it place, if the fate is done & dusted this weekend, great,, get it out the way

the new manager will not want it on his cv hes was the manager on the day of relegation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree if they get promoted then they won't come here.

But there is Dyche, Bruce, Karanka, Hughton, McCarthy etc.

They can't all get promoted.

Yes lets appoint a manager who failed at promotion this season. Should be OK.

54 minutes ago, Ghostdog said:

I don't, really. I just know a lot of people at the club, and that's what I was told. I haven't seen the contracts or anything like that. I'm not Randy Lerner.

When you say you know a lot of people at the club how high up are they as surely unless they are board members they wont have a scooby doo whats going on.

Incidentally where were Doug Ellis and a few other cars with Villa plates going this morning in convoy joining the M6?

8 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

When you say you know a lot of people at the club how high up are they as surely unless they are board members they wont have a scooby doo whats going on.

Incidentally where were Doug Ellis and a few other cars with Villa plates going this morning in convoy joining the M6?

Since they won't tell him what's going on anyway, may be it doesn't really matter how high up they are. ;)

All we know is someone has been appointed but no-one will tell him who. That in formation is about as useful as

2534546426_790545bbf0.jpg?v=0

35 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Yes lets appoint a manager who failed at promotion this season. Should be OK.

I don't think our next manager will be someone who has achieved success this season*.  A failed promotion attempt is likely to be the best achievement we'd see at the club.

(* - unless we're going to League One or League Two for our hiring, perhaps)

On 4/3/2016 at 00:53, Isa said:

Hate myself for saying it but I'd have Pulis over 90% of the names being suggested/linked.

but so would most of us....me included

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

For what it's worth, I think it will be Pearson and I am ok with that. I can understand those who aren't however the work he did with Leicester was magnificent. Even when they were doing poorly last season, they were still playing well . The negative press about him came at that time and I'm sure it must be quite stressful and therefore I can cut somebody some slack!

My only concern is that the majority of his key backroad staff are still employed by Leicester so we have no chance of getting them. Remi didn't get his backroom team either and so we were fighting a losing battle from the beginning. 

something some folk fail to recognise.

20 hours ago, Xela said:

We can look at teams like West Ham, Southampton and Leicester, who are doing very well with their tactically astute overseas managers and say " we should do that" and we did, with Garde, but the difference is, with those teams. a less 'fashionable' manager had put the foundations down which allowed messrs Bilic, Poch/Koeman and Ranieri, to build on and improve. Without the work of Adkins, Allardyce and Pearson, they perhaps wouldn't have been as successful. I'm sure Garde would have done better in an environment that had a decent foundation and wasn't as toxic as we currently are

We need to stop looking at the next manager as anything other than someone who can come in and do a specific job for us. That job is to stop the rot and get us promoted. We can worry about what to do or who to appoint after that. Its managers like Pearson, Dyche, Bruce and even McCarthy who will get that job done. They've got the experience of doing jobs like that. That's what we need.

What worries me is that if someone like Pearson or McCarthy is appointed then they would already be written off by a percentage of the fan base who think we have a divine right to have a 'better' manager. We don't, we are utter shit at the present time and we need someone who can work in an environment like that.

My preference would be Dyche, although I don't think he would leave Burnley after promotion, so my second choice is Pearson. I think he would do well for us and do exactly the type of job we need. 

I think your rationale has much merit and my thinking is along exactly the same lines.

I fear we have managed to descend this club so far down that a pragmatic " back to basics" manager is required.

The owner feels he has had his fingers burned, so he won't be rushing to off load funds in the managers direction.....so it will be somebody who can spot a few gems from the lower leagues, who have the desire ( and hopefully the talent) to make a fist of it with us.

The managers we would all like.....will want huge funds......We have well and truly missed that boat......and it might be a long time when another comes by.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, terrytini said:

Where people put Pearson down their list because compared to others on the List his acheivements are, in their view, not as good,(I would disagree with some, not others) fair enough IMO

I'm afraid those who do it for some sort of 'way he is' or 'way he speaks' reason make absolutely no sense to me.

Practically every Manager who ever achieved anything was half mad, or arrogant, or rude, or away with the fairies, or whatever.and calling someone a bird is a long way from that. And I, and a reasonable number (granted, not all) of my footballing chums, see in some of the other interviews a perfectly understandable, even likeable, disdain for the purile journalists, which we have seen from many other Managers over the years.

As one simple example, if that is the criteria, we can't appoint Mourinho either. 

me too.

They ought to watch the infamous Graham Taylor video....and I loved Graham mk 1

apparently he was very popular with the players at Leicester, flies in the face of bullying.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mantis said:

What I find strange is that some people acknowledge your assessment Stevo but still want him anyway because they think he'll "sort the players out".

What you might find strange is that some folk disagree with you....and your assessment.

15 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You almost made me want Pearson. Then I remembered, he's a massive, massive word removed. I don't want that odious clearing in the woods anywhere near my club. There must be other managers with similar ability we can get? Surely?

I'd take Bruce over him every day of the week. And McCarthy, who whilst being nowhere near my first choice I actually think *might* deserve a shot at a bigger club. Has done a relatively decent job in the Championship on and off. Certainly more evidence for him than Pearson. Like I said, nowhere near my first choice, but over Pearson? **** right. 

its not your club.... its our club