Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I fail to see this "Everton could do much more" thing.  Moyes took them to, basically, their peak.  I know Martinez managed to take them a whole position higher, to 5th, in his first season - but that's basically the same area.

They aren't a top 4 team. 

Moyes did a fine job at a very cash strapped Everton. They did of course finish in the Top 4.

The thing is "top 4 team" doesn't exist as much any more. Granted the CL places are allotted according to this but that was a term for Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United almost a decade ago. You already have big changes to this guard. The term is null and void given only one of those legacy teams actually managed to qualify for the CL this season.

You people should listen to the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition, especially the rule number 190 when it comes to the rumours:

"Hear all, trust nothing."

Edited by Jarpie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

Moyes did a fine job at a very cash strapped Everton. They did of course finish in the Top 4.

The thing is "top 4 team" doesn't exist as much any more. Granted the CL places are allotted according to this but that was a term for Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United almost a decade ago. You already have big changes to this guard. The term is null and void given only one of those legacy teams actually managed to qualify for the CL this season.

Fair point - I suppose my reference to being a "top 4 team" means a team that could regularly finish in the top 4.  At the moment, there are probably 6 of these teams - Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool.

I think Everton are just behind all these teams.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Fair point - I suppose my reference to being a "top 4 team" means a team that could regularly finish in the top 4.  At the moment, there are probably 6 of these teams - Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool.

I think Everton are just behind all these teams.

Leicester did win the league you'll recall ;) 

I do of course understand the point of top 4 team but it in itself is volatile and simply anyone could end up there now with the mega bucks splosihing around.

Just now, ccfcman said:

Leicester did win the league you'll recall ;) 

I do of course understand the point of top 4 team but it in itself is volatile and simply anyone could end up there now with the mega bucks splosihing around.

I do indeed recall that.

Leicester won't be finishing top 4 next season ;)

18 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We might have money to spend, doesn't mean Moyes will instantly want to have a season in the Championship though. He will get offers in the Premier League.

Moyes has to pick his next move very carefully, if he messes it up he's going to really struggle to get work in the Premier League again. Maybe it's not that he has reservations about Xia, but he doesn't back himself to succeed at Villa? 

If he came to Villa with a £40m transfer kitty in the Championship and didn't get us promoted his reputation would get slaughtered. Maybe he's frightened of that happening? 

100% this i reckon influenced Moyes decision, would be under a massive amount of pressure from day one, having a kitty of 40-50 million. If it went tits up would be career over for him. I think he would be after a premiership side mid to lower, with basically a competent squad that he can slowly improve.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes - you can see why he would decline it. as soon as Dr X takes over Pearson will feel he doesn't have his full support. It was a mistake by Hollis to appease the potential new owner by delaying. We should have been planning for next season takeover or no takeover. 

It is likely that we have been in negotiation with Dr Xia since at least around the time Garde was sacked. You can guarantee that any new owner already in negotiation is going to want to make the decision on the new manager or at least have a big say. Likewise the current owner is going to want to make the decision unless you are at the stage where you are certain the club is going to be sold. We are almost certainly at that stage now but from what Hollis said last week they still have their preferred choice of manager and it seems he at that time didn’t tie in with who Xia wanted. If he did I think he may have already been in place.

I think Pearson is Hollis’s choice. Xia it seems at the very least was considering Moyes and RDM. Now Moyes is out of the picture that possibly leaves RDM and almost certainly Pearson. I don’t think from what Hollis said last week that they are prepared to employ a manager that is not his/Lerners preferred choice so I think unless it is to be Pearson we could yet be waiting until the football league has rubber stamped the takeover which is at least another 10 days away.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I do indeed recall that.

Wouldnt be surprised if they do or don't. Thing is, they've been the best performing team over the course of both the last season and more.

Since April 2015 they've only lost to Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Yeah if Xia fancied Pearson to be our manager, the club would just employ him now as I'm sure Pearson is Hollis' choice too. So Xia obviously wants someone else, can only assume RDM. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah if Xia fancied Pearson to be our manager, the club would just employ him now as I'm sure Pearson is Hollis' choice too. So Xia obviously wants someone else, can only assume RDM. 

Certainly has more X Factor than Pearson. Perhaps he sees that as being better for the Chinese market? I also get the impression Pearson if signed, would be jettisoned upon promotion. 

54 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If the noises made by Xia are true, then there is no way Moyes should be out of our grasp. That is what worries me.

Regardless of whether Xia turns out to be bone fide our a complete charlatan there could be any number of reasons why Moyes turned us down

1. There is a better offer coming his way - maybe a premiership club

2. AFter having his reputation tarnished maybe he does not see the challenge as something he could take right now restoring a former big club to its rightful place with a total club rebuild after the last idiot we had owning us is a huge risk maybe he didnt fancy that

3. He wanted a few days to make his mind up and the club wanted to know this week. Could be he was waiting for someone else

4. He doesnt want to manage a championship club right now as he thinks he is better than that

there are loads of reasons which do not point to Xia being a useless charlatan b ut I guess people will believe what they want to suit an argument.  me I'll wait for evidence to show Xia is no good for us before lighting the pitchfork,  just as I did with lerner before others jumped on board

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I dont get it.  Why does Hollis even have an opinion on who the next Manager is and why do the press keep saying Pearson is his preferred choice?  Matters not one bit.  Dr T is only one who has an opinion that counts now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I dont get it.  Why does Hollis even have an opinion on who the next Manager is and why do the press keep saying Pearson is his preferred choice?  Matters not one bit.  Dr T is only one who has an opinion that counts now.

Because if Xia fails the approval test from the Football League then we're back to square one. Hollis said he would only allow Xia to appoint his choice once he fully completes the takeover. If approval from the Football League takes weeks then Hollis may just have to appoint his choice. We're running out of time. The press would have you believe that Xia failing the approval is a very possible outcome. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I do indeed recall that.

They "weren't going to win the league" this season either. They were "bound to run out of steam", "soon to be found out" "not a big enough squad" etc.

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

This. Also Hollis is the guy who has exactly no experience in football to be selecting the new manager.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

They "weren't going to win the league" this season either. They were "bound to run out of steam", "soon to be found out" "not a big enough squad" etc.

Presumably you think they'll be top 4 this season, then?

15 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Because we are still technically owned by Randy Lerner and Hollis is chairman acting on behalf of Randy Lerner