Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I think first and foremost Moyes would get use organised and playing to our strengths, which is a massive improvement over the past few years. We've got some good potential in the squad and it would be hard for them to be worse than in previous years... Especially dropping down a division. 

Very much looking forward to the cleanse and a rebuild with an eye on getting promoted rather than just avoiding sinking. 

Honestly, after the last few seasons promotion and solid mid-table would be excellent. It's not even like Pearson is some outstanding manager - his Leicester team did ok to stay up but they were terrible for the majority of the season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Would be ironic if we got Moyes now. I seem to recall us being interested in him back in 2010 after we'd just finished 6th but by all accounts couldn't tempt him.

I'd take steady football and results under someone like Moyes than a risk with a prick like Pearson.

Not sure you are taking Pearsons professional achievements into account here - more his personality ?

Am I alone in being uninspired by Moyes? I think he's more of what we've had defensive style of play and always fails to beat big teams. That sounds like more of the same for me this is the chance to start completely again, I'd go for Pearson he's just build a championship wining side. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Am I alone in being uninspired by Moyes? I think he's more of what we've had defensive style of play and always fails to beat big teams. That sounds like more of the same for me this is the chance to start completely again, I'd go for Pearson he's just build a championship wining side. 

We have failed to beat 95% of the teams let alone the big teams. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

We have failed to beat 95% of the teams let alone the big teams. 

Yes but that's a short term issue. The whole squad is shite, this is a complete rebuild I think we'll have to replace Moyes in 2 years time if we want more than mid table premiership he's ok but he's not a top 6 manager to inconsistent. So as its a rebuild why not strip it down and start again, I don't think Moyes is that man. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

It's a case of when we get there for me. West Ham got it right with Big Sam. 

I appreciate that and that's kinda what I'm talking about, I think within 2 seasons of Moyes in the prem we'll be calling for his head. Moyes for me is a less feckless Lambert

13 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Not sure you are taking Pearsons professional achievements into account here - more his personality ?

I'm taking both into account. He's achieved a lot less than Moyes and he's a massive dickhead to boot. Given that our squad is full of dickheads and Pearson will be without his backroom staff it's not a hard choice.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I appreciate that and that's kinda what I'm talking about, I think within 2 seasons of Moyes in the prem we'll be calling for his head. Moyes for me is a less feckless Lambert

That's the whole point. 2 seasons in the Premier League will actually be a very big achievement right now. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

In my opinion Pearson has been out of the running since our new owner come from China. Its an image and appearance thing. Don't think they will trust Pearson in relation to media and that will be an important thing for our new owner.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

In my opinion Pearson has been out of the running since our new owner come from China. Its an image and appearance thing. Don't think they will trust Pearson in relation to media and that will be an important thing for our new owner.

I've been thinking similar, I hope you're right. 

MOyes be a meh appointment, would get my backing but his last 2 jobs have been pretty poor that wouldnt get my hopes up. Plus I think he would keep some of clowns like Lescott and Richards

Good write up about Moyes - have to remember that from where we are some of these limitations would be welcome! 

I have cut bits of the article to focus on the bits I think we would be most interested in - for full article follow link

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-david-moyes-now-10417999

The overall picture of his time at the Blues when painted with a broad brush has to be one of positivity. But behind such a simple portrayal there are obviously far more nuances and detail. A month shy of his 39th birthday, the Glaswegian was still a young man when he took the reins at Goodison....and there wasn’t that much of an age gap between himself and some of the senior pros he had to clear out of the dressing room such as Paul Gascoigne and David Ginola. Generally regarded as the bright young thing among British managers for his work at Preston North End, Moyes had already rejected an approach from Sir Alex Ferguson to be his number two at Manchester United plus other managerial offers from Premier League clubs. The situation that faced him at Everton was one of a club in decline. Kendall’s second title-winning side of 1987 already seemed like a distant memory with just a single top-half finish under Joe Royle in 1995/96 to show from the first decade of Premier League football and the same manager’s FA Cup success in 1995 a solitary bright spot sandwiched between two final day escapes from relegation in 1994 and 1998. Boosted by the prodigious talent of Wayne Rooney, some honest pros in need of direction and canny buys for a relatively modest outlay such as Joseph Yobo in his first summer and the likes of Kevin Kilbane and Nigel Martyn the following year, Moyes began to mould a side with a winning outlook at long last.

There were plenty of bumps along the way, particularly in the early years. A seventh place finish in his first season – which could have been even more impressive if the Blues hadn’t lost their last two games and dropped out of the top six for the first time since November on the final day in 2003 – was followed by the 39 points, 17th place nadir of 2004. Although Everton were bizarrely never involved in a genuine relegation battle that year – they got themselves safe by Easter before failing to win any of their last six matches – if there was ever a time that Bill Kenwright might have been tempted to press the panic button then this was it. Whispers abounded that Moyes had lost the dressing room but even after the hammer blow of the departure of the England national team’s new darling Rooney to Manchester United, he and his team were able to come back stronger than ever. A defiant, backs-against-the-wall spirit presided over the miraculous run to fourth place and subsequent Champions League qualification spot in 2004/05 as £26million Rooney was replaced by £450,000 Marcus Bent of whom the Scot coaxed out the best season of the journeyman striker’s career and £1.7million Tim Cahill who he based his long-time 4-4-1-1 formation around. When Thomas Gravesen departed mid-campaign, Moyes again showed his sharp eye for young talent by replacing his Great Dane with the dancing feet of Mikel Arteta, initially on loan from future employers Real Sociedad.

What followed at the start of the following season though was the first of several high-profile failures in big matches that could have seen the team move up to the next level. Making their return to European football’s senior competition 20 years late – as the banner in Villarreal pointed out, there was trouble with the neighbours – Everton, after working so hard to get into the top four, never of course made it into the Champions League proper. But whereas their failure against the Spaniards – who would go on to reach the semi-finals that season – was down to the combination of a rotten draw, a poor first leg showing at Goodison and then ultimately and inexplicable piece of refereeing from a man once considered the world’s best official, future disappointments seemed almost entirely self-inflicted wounds. A decade on it’s easy to forget just how bad the Blues start to the 2005/06 season was. Moyes’ men lost 10 of their first 12 matches, including a 5-1 UEFA Cup humiliation to Dinamo Bucharest but again the chairman remained steadfastly loyal to his manager.

The patience was rewarded and after recovering to mid-table safety with an end-of-season position of 11th, the upward curve would continue in the years ahead. Yo-yo finishes were replaced by steady placings of sixth (2007) and back-to-back fifths in 2008 and 2009 and the increasing quality in the squad was exemplified by regularly breaking the club transfer record to bring in Andrew Johnson (£8.6million), Aiyegbeni Yakubu (£11.25million) and Marouane Fellaini (£15million). Other new faces during this period included recruits who would go on to become club stalwarts such as Tim Howard, Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines while the Blues got the best three years of Joleon Lescott’s career as he arrived as a Premier League unknown with a chequered past record of injuries and departed for £24million.

A frustrating inability to shake off the nearly-men tag persisted though.........At the time, Moyes boldly stated that it was only a question of when rather than if his talented squad would win a trophy but ultimately it was never to be. He would continue to solidly churn out teams that would hold their own in the top half of the Premier League but in his latter years at Goodison, Evertonians were left with a feeling of resignation over whether he could ever steer them to a trophy as doubts persisted as to whether he possessed the ability to get the best out of his players on one-off big occasions.

Moyes’ relative success was based on him being a classic percentages man. His teams would always win more games than they’d lose but often they would fall short in the matches that really mattered - it must be noted that there were no away victories at Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea in his entire reign.

Perhaps Moyes, whose success at Everton was largely down to his workaholic nature – he’d put in the hours and the miles checking out players and watching opponents – might have to look in the mirror to ask where it all went wrong on his continental adventure?  While he had to back his own ability when Old Trafford beckoned, whoever tried to fill Ferguson’s shoes was likely to become a fall guy but there have been suggestions that he might not have been giving his all in San Sebastian. Respected La Liga observer Sid Lowe reckons that after some initially enthusiastic efforts, the 52-year-old gave up on Spanish lessons. This was always going to prove a fatal blow.

Edited by Gary Thomas

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm taking both into account. He's achieved a lot less than Moyes and he's a massive dickhead to boot. Given that our squad is full of dickheads and Pearson will be without his backroom staff it's not a hard choice.

Clearly he has managed in the premier league for a significantly longer period then Nigel Pearson- hence longevity would ensure that he has achieved more than Pearson, however they are not a million miles apart- let's face it Moyes does not exactly have a bunch of winners medals hanging from his neck does he?

Id take Pearson over Moyes.

Experienced in the Championship, knows how to get promoted and takes no crap from players.

Moyes would come in and convince the likes of richards,lescott and flabby to stay on.

• Like 2