Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

4 minutes ago, mwj said:

Hollis, while legally required to MAKE the appointment, I don't think he will be the one deciding, that will be Xia.

If you read between the lines with the Tom Ross podcast, it was clear that Hollis is publicly just performing his Chairman role as he is legally required to do.

But thats what I mean - If Dr Tony starts saying he has to wait for the leagues tests, well thats just not true - Tony can select - but Hollis actually makes the deal official. There is no reason the appointment of the manager can not proceed this week.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

But thats what I mean - If Dr Tony starts saying he has to wait for the leagues tests, well thats just not true - Tony can select - but Hollis actually makes the deal official. There is no reason the appointment of the manager can not proceed this week.

The answer is clear - Dr Tony is evil

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

No, other than they have to maintain the pretence that Hollis is running the show 

David Moyes is certainly the highest profile of those linked with us.  Whether he is right for us as we are now ,  I'm not entirely sure. I also do not subscribe to the view of well lets replace him anyway in a couple of years once we have gone up.  I'd prefer a manager who is more medium to long than short to medium term.

On saying all that I certainly back him to do well and hope he can,  we need to change the shitty culture at the club and fast and we need a manager who can identify the right players and get them performing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Just read that article and I really wish people would stop using Leicester as an excuse to pretend as if the normal rules of football don't apply anymore.

But, but, but, Leicester! Surely we should now be able to win the Premier League from the Championship if only we had the team spirit and belief of Leicester. Let's believe we're European Champions while we're at it, because Leicester! 

For me what Clough did with Forest was 10 times what they have done, remarkable and amazing and beautiful though it is.

• Like 1

Just now, romavillan said:

But, but, but, Leicester! Surely we should now be able to win the Premier League from the Championship if only we had the team spirit and belief of Leicester. Let's believe we're European Champions while we're at it, because Leicester! 

For me what Clough did with Forest was 10 times what they have done, remarkable and amazing and beautiful though it is.

That seems to be the attitude of some of them, that all achievements are now shit because of a one-off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

David Moyes is certainly the highest profile of those linked with us.  Whether he is right for us as we are now ,  I'm not entirely sure. I also do not subscribe to the view of well lets replace him anyway in a couple of years once we have gone up.  I'd prefer a manager who is more medium to long than short to medium term.

On saying all that I certainly back him to do well and hope he can,  we need to change the shitty culture at the club and fast and we need a manager who can identify the right players and get them performing.

I'd not see Moyes as short termism in the slightest, Pearson would be the snap short term get-out-of-the-championship-now appointment. RDM somewhere in between, Moyes will surely be tasked with building us up to where he had Everton (and where we were briefly to be fair). That will not happen in the short term, will be at least 3 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

That seems to be the attitude of some of them, that all achievements are now shit because of a one-off.

Lots of hyperbole and exageration, it's an awesome acheivement but the claims that it's the greatest sporting upset of all time is taking the piss somewhat.

• Like 2

It's interesting that Eric Black was in charge when we officially were relegated. Another Scotsman to oversee a Villa relegation - that makes me weary of Moyes ;)

The last three managers to have won anything with Villa - John Gregory (I know! The Intertoto Cup), Brian Little (League Cup) and, Ron Atkinson (League Cup) were all English and ex Villa players. There's a manager out there right now with experience of the Championship who fits the billing of those last three managers - Simon Grayson. I know he's not a fashionable name but for where we are right now I don't see why he couldn't be given a chance, at least to try and take us back up. He's done relatively well at his previous clubs and had multiple promotions. He is still young and would be hungry for Villa to succeed as they would be the biggest club he has managed. I checked out his managerial stats. From all of his games as manager he has a win percentage of 43%, which isn't bad.

Look where Little and Gregory came from to manage us and they did OK. Why not give Grayson a chance at a bigger club to see what he is made of? 

16 minutes ago, villarocker said:

It's interesting that Eric Black was in charge when we officially were relegated. Another Scotsman to oversee a Villa relegation - that makes me weary of Moyes ;)

The last three managers to have won anything with Villa - John Gregory (I know! The Intertoto Cup), Brian Little (League Cup) and, Ron Atkinson (League Cup) were all English and ex Villa players. There's a manager out there right now with experience of the Championship who fits the billing of those last three managers - Simon Grayson. I know he's not a fashionable name but for where we are right now I don't see why he couldn't be given a chance, at least to try and take us back up. He's done relatively well at his previous clubs and had multiple promotions. He is still young and would be hungry for Villa to succeed as they would be the biggest club he has managed. I checked out his managerial stats. From all of his games as manager he has a win percentage of 43%, which isn't bad.

Look where Little and Gregory came from to manage us and they did OK. Why not give Grayson a chance at a bigger club to see what he is made of? 

Good shout and maybe one for the future, but he would be to big a risk in my opinion  - the stakes are too high.  We need an experienced hand, especially given the rebuilding job that needs to be done. 

Edited by Gary Thomas

Moyes has apparently ruled himself out. On BBC Sport now:

"The Villa job ticked several boxes for Moyes - including working again with Keith Wyness, soon to be appointed chief executive, a role he filled at Everton for five years, working harmoniously alongside Moyes until 2009.

"The two have since kept in touch, but in the end Moyes felt he had to pass on Villa, even though sorely tempted.

"The field has narrowed now to Nigel Pearson - the preferred choice of the current chairman, Steve Hollis - and Roberto Di Matteo.

"Each is available and have been interviewed by both Hollis and the recruitment team of the new owner, Dr Tony Xai. He will sanction the appointment although Hollis will seal the deal as Dr Xai is still not technically the Villa owner pending Football League approval.

"Villa still hope to confirm their new manager by the end of this week."

6 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Moyes has apparently ruled himself out. On BBC Sport now:

"The Villa job ticked several boxes for Moyes - including working again with Keith Wyness, soon to be appointed chief executive, a role he filled at Everton for five years, working harmoniously alongside Moyes until 2009.

"The two have since kept in touch, but in the end Moyes felt he had to pass on Villa, even though sorely tempted.

"The field has narrowed now to Nigel Pearson - the preferred choice of the current chairman, Steve Hollis - and Roberto Di Matteo.

"Each is available and have been interviewed by both Hollis and the recruitment team of the new owner, Dr Tony Xai. He will sanction the appointment although Hollis will seal the deal as Dr Xai is still not technically the Villa owner pending Football League approval.

"Villa still hope to confirm their new manager by the end of this week."

Was this on TV or blog ?

Edited by Gary Thomas

Another conspiracy point to throw in the mix.

1)  When Bevington left, he went to great lengths to point out the cracking, professional job Eric Black executed despite being sunk. Black is a fan of Moyes

2) Lerner has a track record in taking advice from Alex Ferguson, the Alex Ferguson who whose his own successor as Moyes

3) Everton link in one of the execs helping the takeover go through

all point towards Moyes as our new manager. It was enough to tempt money out of my pocket yesterday morning anyway :)

Edited by Djemba_Villan