Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Well on board with it as a long term appointment, if the funding is actually there, but am slightly concerned Moyes is the immediate candidate to bounce us back up to the Prem. Does he have the gristle? Hopefully he does.

1 hour ago, jonno_2004 said:

Would be very happy with Moyes. Despite no recent experience of getting a team promoted I definitely think he knows what it takes. 

Not recent as you say but he got Preston promoted to League One (Championship) as champions and then got to the play off final the following season. 

I'm confident that he has learnt a lot since then and if he was backed in the transfer market he would have us challenging for promotion at the very least.

Seeing as Pearson's achievements were "all down to his backroom staff", it's only fair to ask who Moyes would have as his no. 2?

It was Phil Neville at Manure, but who was in his team at Everton? 

I think this whole "experience of promotion" thing is a bit overrated. As somebody else said previously, all of the managers who have won promotion hadn't won promotion until they did it. What's more important is being a proven good manager and Moyes is certainly that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Seeing as Pearson's achievements were "all down to his backroom staff", it's only fair to ask who Moyes would have as his no. 2?

It was Phil Neville at Manure, but who was in his team at Everton? 

He had Alan Irvine as assistant, then Steve Round who we interviewed earlier in the season, then Billy McKinlay at Sociedad and has also had Chris Woods as goalkeeping coach.  I think a mixture of them along with Phil Neville would be his backroom staff if he comes here.

• Like 1

David Moyes the strong favourite for Aston Villa job after Scot meets prospective new owner Tony Xia

•  
  •  
David Moyes - David Moyes the strong favourite for Aston Villa job after Scot meets prospective new owner Tony Xia David Moyes could be managing in the Championship next season CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
22 MAY 2016 • 5:42PM

David Moyes is in talks with Aston Villa and considering a return to management in the Championship.

Moyes has met with prospective new Villa owner Dr Tony Xia and could agree to take charge of the relegated Midlands side later this week.

Sources close to the former Manchester United manager have confirmed that he is a leading contender and Moyes is now waiting for reassurances over Xia’s £75 million takeover before committing himself.

Tony Xia - David Moyes the strong favourite for Aston Villa job Tony Xia is understood to have met Moyes, the former Everton, Manchester United and Real Sociedad manager, to discuss the Aston Villa job CREDIT: AP

Nigel Pearson and Roberto Di Matteo have also been in the frame but Moyes is now believed to be the front-runner, as he bids to make his comeback after his dismissal from Real Sociedad in November.

The 53-year-old met with Xia’s representatives at his home and the Chinese millionaire has revealed he is hopeful of making an appointment before the weekend.

Xia, the owner of Recon Group, is keen to bring in a manager with proven experience of the Championship and the prospect of Di Matteo being named appears to have faded after he met with Lazio over the weekend.

With Pearson believed to have been the choice of outgoing chairman Steve Hollis, it now leaves Moyes as the strong favourite to take over at the former European Cup winners.

Nigel Pearson - David Moyes the strong favourite for Aston Villa job Nigel Pearson has also been linked with the vacant role at Villa Park CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

Moyes, for his part, is likely to want more guidance on the proposed takeover, which is facing a mandatory owner and director’s test from both the Premier League and Football League before it is approved.

There is also the prospect of other offers for the Scot to take into account, with former club Everton searching for a new manager after the departure of Roberto Martinez earlier this month.

Villa’s relegation was their first since 1987 and the club ended the campaign bottom after only three league wins.

Tim Sherwood and Remi Garde both left the club in a nightmare season but Randy Lerner’s exit, after ten years as owner, has raised hopes of a bright new era for Villa’s supporters.

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He had Alan Irvine as assistant, then Steve Round who we interviewed earlier in the season, then Billy McKinlay at Sociedad and has also had Chris Woods as goalkeeping coach.  I think a mixture of them along with Phil Neville would be his backroom staff if he comes here.

Thanks Sharky. I think I read that Steve Round was responsible for some very negative lineups at Everton, but could be wrong. 

Perhaps @Artetasgirl could provide some insight on the ideal Moyes / backroom combo?

If moyes is appointed we need to get the good feeling back at villa park and us fans need to play our part and get down there for the press conference like mon. We need yo create abuzz for new season. Moyes definitely I feel bring that

• Like 1

Just been looking at Moyes transfer dealings at Everton and he made some real bargains. So much so that the Echo have an article about it.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-transfers-david-moyes-10904129

Right-back: Seamus Coleman (£60,000, Sligo Rovers, Jan 2009)

Arguably the best value-for-money signing in Premier League history, Coleman's debut wasn't exactly plain sailing, playing at left-back as an injury-hit Everton were on the wrong end of a 5-0 hiding at Benfica.

Coleman was then given his Premier League bow against Tottenham Hotspur as he replaced a crocked Joseph Yobo early in the first half, and his energy and raw drive immediately won over the fans as he played a part in both of Everton's goals as they came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2.

A loan spell at Blackpool and a new four-year-contract followed for the rough diamond from Donegal, who is now a regular for the Blues

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I Just having a quick look where these all are at the moment:

Alan Irvine - according to Wikipedia was assistant to Paul Lambert at Blackburn. Given he has left likely to seek new employment unless Blackburn want him to be manager (I know he has tried to have a stab at it unsuccessfully).

Steve Round - part time coach at Derby since January 2015. Possible involvement.

Bill McKinlay - Manager at Stabaek since November 2015 so unlikely to be involved.

Chris Woods - Currently goalkeeping coach at West Ham. Not sure would want to drop down to Villa.

Phil Neville - Understand still assistant at Valencia but with the upheaval there surely approachable?

So if it's Moyes are we looking at Alan Irvine or Phil Neville as assistant and coaches alongside Steve Round. Would need a goalkeeping coach though. Who's still at Villa coach wise?

Just now, cyrusr said:

I Just having a quick look where these all are at the moment:

Alan Irvine - according to Wikipedia was assistant to Paul Lambert at Blackburn. Given he has left likely to seek new employment unless Blackburn want him to be manager (I know he has tried to have a stab at it unsuccessfully).

Steve Round - part time coach at Derby since January 2015. Possible involvement.

Bill McKinlay - Manager at Stabaek since November 2015 so unlikely to be involved.

Chris Woods - Currently goalkeeping coach at West Ham. Not sure would want to drop down to Villa.

Phil Neville - Understand still assistant at Valencia but with the upheaval there surely approachable?

So if it's Moyes are we looking at Alan Irvine or Phil Neville as assistant and coaches alongside Steve Round. Would need a goalkeeping coach though. Who's still at Villa coach wise?

Tony Parkes is alright by me.

• Like 1

All pointing to Moyes.....please make it happen Doc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/22/david-moyes-the-strong-favourite-for-aston-villa-job-after-scot/

David Moyes the strong favourite for Aston Villa job after Scot meets prospective new owner Tony Xia

David Moyes is in talks with Aston Villa and considering a return to management in the Championship. Moyes has met with prospective new Villa owner Dr Tony Xia and could agree to take charge of the relegated Midlands side later this week. Sources close to the former Manchester United manager have confirmed that he is a leading contender and Moyes is now waiting for reassurances over Xia’s £75 million takeover before committing himself. Nigel Pearson and Roberto Di Matteo have also been in the frame but Moyes is now believed to be the front-runner, as he bids to make his comeback after his dismissal from Real Sociedad in November. The 53-year-old met with Xia’s representatives at his home and the Chinese millionaire has revealed he is hopeful of making an appointment before the weekend. Xia, the owner of Recon Group, is keen to bring in a manager with proven experience of the Championship and the prospect of Di Matteo being named appears to have faded after he met with Lazio over the weekend. With Pearson believed to have been the choice of outgoing chairman Steve Hollis, it now leaves Moyes as the strong favourite to take over at the former European Cup winners. Moyes, for his part, is likely to want more guidance on the proposed takeover, which is facing a mandatory owner and director’s test from both the Premier League and Football League before it is approved. There is also the prospect of other offers for the Scot to take into account, with former club Everton searching for a new manager after the departure of Roberto Martinez earlier this month. Villa’s relegation was their first since 1987 and the club ended the campaign bottom after only three league wins. Tim Sherwood and Remi Garde both left the club in a nightmare season but Randy Lerner’s exit, after ten years as owner, has raised hopes of a bright new era for Villa’s supporters.

1 hour ago, AValon said:

Well on board with it as a long term appointment, if the funding is actually there, but am slightly concerned Moyes is the immediate candidate to bounce us back up to the Prem. Does he have the gristle? Hopefully he does.

Does he have the gristle? - I like that question a lot. Moyes deffo looks a bit gristley.

2 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Getting moyes in the championship is a ridiculous coup

Agreed.  He would want to prove a lot of his doubters wrong too.  Also think that he could really look at the club from top to bottom and bring that right culture back.  Hope it happens this week and things would be looking really bright again. 

• Like 1