Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think he would have done well. And that would be a greater achievement than Pearson at leicester for a number of reasons, but that's irrelevant.

But "done well" is exactly what I said about Pearson.

What I have also said is he didn't do well enough to justify us wanting to have a psychopath and all round arsehole at the club.

There are plenty of other managers out there who have done as well or comfortably better than pearson who wouldn't add to the toxic atmosphere at the club.

I'd be interested to hear those reasons. 

I wasn't under the impression that 'done well' was what you were saying about Pearson, but I'm happy to admit I'm mistaken.

The character criticism is at least a reasonable one, it makes a lot more sense than complaining that he didn't space out his wins in a pleasing fashion throughout the season which seems to be the main criticism being aired in this thread today. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd be interested to hear those reasons. 

I wasn't under the impression that 'done well' was what you were saying about Pearson, but I'm happy to admit I'm mistaken.

The character criticism is at least a reasonable one, it makes a lot more sense than complaining that he didn't space out his wins in a pleasing fashion throughout the season which seems to be the main criticism being aired in this thread today. 

I think it would be more impressive than Pearson's because he would have basically achieved the same thing, but with a squad that had less quality,  wasn't his,  that he had not been allowed to add any players to, that wasn't even close to having the same sort of team spirit that Leicester's had (even at that point, their spirit seems to have multiplied ten fold since), that had had any ounce of confidence they previously possessed sucked out of them by the previous regime and ultimately a squad that wasn't completely missing three or four key positions.

Like I said, I've never said Pearson doesn't deserve credit. he does. But what he achieved is no better than what a good handful of managers out there have achieved, and they've managed to do it without being mental.

Introducing Pearson to this dressing room would be a catastrophe, imo. He has done nowhere near well enough to justify taking that risk. It would be idiotic.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it would be more impressive than Pearson's because he would have basically achieved the same thing, but with a squad that had less quality,  wasn't his,  that he had not been allowed to add any players to, that wasn't even close to having the same sort of team spirit that Leicester's had (even at that point, their spirit seems to have multiplied ten fold since), that had had any ounce of confidence they previously possessed sucked out of them by the previous regime and ultimately a squad that wasn't completely missing three or four key positions.

Like I said, I've never said Pearson doesn't deserve credit. he does. But what he achieved is no better than what a good handful of managers out there have achieved, and they've managed to do it without being mental.

Introducing Pearson to this dressing room would be a catastrophe, imo. He has done nowhere near well enough to justify taking that risk. It would be idiotic.

I don't think our current squad actually has less quality than Leicester's last season (though it is worse-balanced), but the points about being allowed to buy players and having a better team spirit are well-taken. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The season in which they finished 14th you mean?

You do realise that seasons are played over 38 games, right?

The irony of our current position is not not lost on me, but still...

ooooooo 14th!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think our current squad actually has less quality than Leicester's last season (though it is worse-balanced)

I think those are the same thing in this instance.

Leicester had a decent striker (Ulloa), a good midfielder (Cambiasso), a decent Centreback (Huth) and a good goalkeeper.

You stick those players in our current squad and we'd be fine. Our biggest problem this season hasn't been that we bought bad players, because I honestly don't think we did. It's that we didn't buy players good enough to fill those big positions.

The imbalance in our squad has killed us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think those are the same thing in this instance.

Leicester had a decent striker (Ulloa), a good midfielder (Cambiasso), a decent Centreback (Huth) and a good goalkeeper.

You stick those players in our current squad and we'd be fine. Our biggest problem this season hasn't been that we bought bad players, because I honestly don't think we did. It's that we didn't buy players good enough to fill those big positions.

The imbalance in our squad has killed us.

Agree with all of that. 

14 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

The guy has got serious anger issues.  Not particularly having a got at him, just makes me laugh the way he boils over when talking to the media.......

Is that really that bad? Seriously. I've watched a few press conferences and you get worse than that almost every week. Pearson called someone an Ostrich and the media is in meltdown.... LVG calls someone fat boy and barely a word is written. Jose said something almost identical to Pearson in that video, nothing mentioned, Fergie would turn the air blue, Pullis, Pardew, Fat Sam, all had rows with the ress

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, babyblue said:

Is that really that bad? Seriously. I've watched a few press conferences and you get worse than that almost every week. Pearson called someone an Ostrich and the media is in meltdown.... LVG calls someone fat boy and barely a word is written. Jose said something almost identical to Pearson in that video, nothing mentioned

Go home, Nigel. You're drunk.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I don't agree that nationality has anything at all to do with it.

Nigel Pearson is however regressive in terms of style and management. 

Employing him without Walsh, would be a infinitely worse version of Clough without Taylor.

I would argue Pearson is quote progessive in some aspects. Our sports science and scouting departments were ahead of the game, it's not "luck" we have had so few injuries since Pearson came in.

How he sets his team up might see seen as regressive, in that it's 4-4-2... but it's served us well enough. Because he comes across how he does in the media, don't think that's how he is behind closed doors. I know he comes across like old school manager, but there is a bit more to how he runs a club.