The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I struggle to see how anyone capable of doing a bit of research and analysis can currently back us leaving the EU

This is what I mean with my thought that something else is driving the Brexit vote.  Its not just the EU now, can't be.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

For someone like me, who wants to remain and wants to see Farage get as few seats as possible, is there a better tactic?

As per the link posted yesterday by @Chindie, there are different tactics available depending upon what you want to achieve, i.e. maximising 'remain' seats does not correspond to minimising the number of NF seats.

Politcs.co.uk:

Not all tactical voting is the same. You need to ask yourself what you are trying to achieve.

Maybe you want a big vote for a single strong Remain party, to catch the media's attention. If so, vote Liberal Democrat. There's no need to go into any regional details.

Many people will be simply trying to get MEPs from Remain-supporting parties elected. Those parties are the Liberal Democrat, Green, Change UK, SNP and Plaid Cymru. If so, follow the recommendation for 'Maximise full Remain seats'.

If your priority is to minimise the number of Brexit party seats, then there will be regions in which voting Labour - or even Conservative - is the most likely way of knocking out the most marginal Brexit party candidates. This advice is given under 'Minimise Brexit Party seats'.

There's also a final 'Lifesaver' column. This is basically a guard against being too clever. If you are OK with the party it mentions, you should definitely vote for them, because they are at risk of losing a seat. In some areas, it refers to the Greens. But in many it refers to Labour. Lots of Remainers struggle with this because of the party's will-they-won't-they attitude to Brexit, but there are many dedicated Remainers running on the Labour tickets, up against implacable Brexit party candidates. For those who are broadly tolerant of the party, it indicates where they're in trouble and needing support.

As much as I abhor the Spiv, I don't like negative voting. So, even though I'm not a supporter or anything resembling a party person, the Green candidate at the hustings I went to just swung it in their favour so I'll be voting for them (also taking in to account that I have moved from undecided in the referendum to remain now).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Remain are reduced to this,  even after all these years they still have not convinced enough people.  It should have been easy given the facts.

I doubt any tactical voting will make much difference in the big scheme of things unfortunately.

I am convinced now more than ever this isn't just about the EU.  Something else is going on, it must be. 

None of it makes sense at the moment, the EU election will tell us more I suppose.

Utter shambles.

You're right. It isn't all about the EU. In the last 10 years we've had a massive recession and austerity that's meant services have been cut to the bone. Combined with a real lack of quality leadership or backbone from politicians where they've blamed all their inadequecies on johnny foreigner and a mythical EU bogeyman that's probably done more for the working classes than the Tories, Lib-Tories and the Labour government before them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

This is what I mean with my thought that something else is driving the Brexit vote.  Its not just the EU now, can't be.

It's the same kicking against the pricks attitude that we had in the referendum. It's just more entrenched now.

It's also exactly how that little Austrian fella with the funny moustache got into power in the 1930's

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also some important information contained in this thread about the voting process (including emergency proxies/taking postal votes to the polling station if they haven't been sent):

Edited by snowychap

https://news.sky.com/story/government-shelves-key-brexit-bill-amid-speculation-over-theresa-mays-future-11726821

Government shelves key Brexit bill amid speculation over Theresa May's future

The government has delayed publication of key Brexit legislation as the prime minister listens to MPs' "concerns" about the bill.Theresa May had told MPs the Withdrawal Agreement Bill (WAB) would be published on Friday, but the government now plans to publish the legislation in the week commencing 3 June.

In news that will surprise nobody...

• Haha 2

Maybe this rise in milkshake chucking is down to the plastic straw ban, How are you supposed to drink a mcdonalds milkshake with a soggy paper straw..

Meanwhile.. Army vet of 22 years pensioner in his 80's apparently milkshaked in Aldershot for wearing a brexit party rosette outside a polling station.

39 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Maybe this rise in milkshake chucking is down to the plastic straw ban, How are you supposed to drink a mcdonalds milkshake with a soggy paper straw..

Meanwhile.. Army vet of 22 years pensioner in his 80's apparently milkshaked in Aldershot for wearing a brexit party rosette outside a polling station.

Not quite to the same level of annoying as throwing your beer during the world cup, but it's getting close.  

I voted late morning and it didn't look like many others had bothered judging from how pleased the volunteers all were to see me.

39 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

voted late morning and it didn't look like many others had bothered judging from how pleased the volunteers all were to see me.

I went in a couple of hours ago. They said I was the 62nd person so far. 

Edited by choffer
At that polling station, obviously.

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Would probably lean toward that it might be a good thing...Might indicate all the racist pensioners have stayed at home.

Unfortunately it's more likely that 61 gammon faced bags of impotent rage and petty nationalism had turned up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Just so I understand this correctly, you only vote for a party, right?

They have numerous candidates, but they allocate them depending on how many seats they get?

You don't have to pick a specific candidate to vote for?

Yes.  Each party places its candidates in order beforehand.  You can see who would be elected if that party got say two seats, or three, but you don't select between the candidates for a party, you just choose between parties.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Unfortunately it's more likely that 61 gammon faced bags of impotent rage and petty nationalism had turned up.

:ph34r:

• Haha 3

Â