The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Maybe one for the BBC thread, but I've just been listening to a R4 feature where they went to (heavily pro-remain) Edinburgh and managed to find two pro-brexit voxpops saying how impressed they were with Farage. They then interviewed a Boris-supporting Tory spokesman, who said there was clearly massive support for the Brexit Party - "as proven there by your interviews". Shocking. 

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's so depressing that No Deal could be back.

Perhaps the monster needs to be seen to be real rather than something of a fantasy before others might actually be forced to compromise and come up with something that slays it?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, snowychap said:

I'm Polish too - and the application process that Damian Wawrzyniak complains about takes literally 2 minutes and is free BECAUSE it has been changed with Brexit in mind.

Now, I am no fan of Brexit, but if you are foreign and enjoy the UK freedoms and benefits, and you are going to complain about a 2 minute online application, then I think there is something wrong with you.

And if you have the status of this application, and your children are born in the UK then they are automatically eligible for British nationality. I think the government couldn't have made it any easier or clearer.

Edited by Mic09

Also, is anyone kicking him out? 

If he wants to go, then he is welcome to do so. But let's respect the British law, and in this case the law is very simple, plain and easy to follow. 

43 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

in this case the law is very simple, plain and easy to follow. 

Is it?

There are a great deal of stories that it isn't.

Wrong kind of 'phone; wrong OS; information not being able to be scanned properly; actual documents being required for a period of time, &c.

49 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'm Polish too - and the application process that Damian Wawrzyniak complains about takes literally 2 minutes and is free BECAUSE it has been changed with Brexit in mind.

It took you two minutes? Are you sure you completed the correct process and form?

When did you make your application and what was your resulting status?

50 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Now, I am no fan of Brexit, but if you are foreign and enjoy the UK freedoms and benefits, and you are going to complain about a 2 minute online application, then I think there is something wrong with you.

EU citizens are here as of right. We were told over and over again that no one would lose their existing rights that they have exercised yet people are being required to apply to keep these rights (not all of them). It's not a registration process, it is something that people could be denied. That is how an application process works.

51 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Also, is anyone kicking him out?

Not yet but whenever the scheme closes (assuming we go ahead and leave the EU), those who didn't apply or who didn't acquire settled status will either be forced to leave by the nature of the hostile environment (bank account restrictions, inability to work, access resources, rent, &c.) or will be physically removed.

By posting that tweet, I wasn't endorsing his approach, merely pointing out that there are people (quite high profile people at that) who are taking that stance, i.e. that they are not going to apply to be able to continue to live in their own homes, work in whatever occupation they do, run their own businesses and continue to contribute to the society that they have been a part of as of right for the past x number of years.

Put that alongside those for whom the application process doesn't go smoothly, those refused and those who don't really understand that they have to go through this application process (and there will be thousands - a great deal of whom will probably be vulnerable people) and it's a tragedy waiting to happen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Is it?

There are a great deal of stories that it isn't.

Wrong kind of 'phone; wrong OS; information not being able to be scanned properly; actual documents being required for a period of time, &c.

It took you two minutes? Are you sure you completed the correct process and form?

When did you make your application and what was your resulting status?

EU citizens are here as of right. We were told over and over again that no one would lose their existing rights that they have exercised yet people are being required to apply to keep these rights (not all of them). It's not a registration process, it is something that people could be denied. That is how an application process works.

Not yet but whenever the scheme closes (assuming we go ahead and leave the EU), those who didn't apply or who didn't acquire settled status will either be forced to leave by the nature of the hostile environment (bank account restrictions, inability to work, access resources, rent, &c.) or will be physically removed.

By posting that tweet, I wasn't endorsing his approach, merely pointing out that there are people (quite high profile people at that) who are taking that stance, i.e. that they are not going to apply to be able to continue to live in their own homes, work in whatever occupation they do, run their own businesses and continue to contribute to the society that they have been a part of as of right for the past x number of years.

Put that alongside those for whom the application process doesn't go smoothly, those refused and those who don't really understand that they have to go through this application process (and there will be thousands - a great deal of whom will probably be vulnerable people) and it's a tragedy waiting to happen.

Of course I can only talk from my and my family perspective. And it took us 2 minutes. Maybe 5. 

I did it when it was still paid for, and got the money back early April. My wife did it the other week and just like me, she got the decision a day or 2 later. The status is ILR.

Yeah, sure you can be denied, but as far as I'm aware it's automated so it's not a human decision. It think you can be rejected when you had problems with the law or had some major debts.  But a lot of my friends did this, and no one got rejected.

The scheme will never close, because it's not designed for EU citizens. It's designed for anyone who lived in the UK for 5 years, many families who moved over from India for example enjoy the same status.

Maybe it's my personal opinion showing here, but if you live in a foreign country and do not make specific arrangements to assimilate yourself in line with local law, you cannot complain about facing consequences (although right now, there are none).

Is it unreasonable to expect people who move abroad to take proactive steps to secure their lives over here?

Â