The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

41 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ah you see, what Brian Cox has missed here is that you aren't supposed to think about it for even s second. You're supposed to just nod along and get annoyed and riddled with impotent rage.

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

A country that shit itself when KFC ran out of chicken, faced with everywhere potentially running out of shitloads of stuff...

It’s often been said that the UK needs to be more self-sustaining!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I watched the Netflicks documentary on the Fyre Festival the other day, it struck me how similar the organisation of that disaster looked to the UK Governments organisation of Brexit. 

I said as much myself when I watched it last week. The whole thing really could have been an allegory for Brexit

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Inside Europe : ten years of turmoil was an interesting view for those of you with access to BBC iPlayer etc 

Seriously, If it's political and on the BBC, I take as much notice as a Weatherspoons magazine. Might as well file them in the same bin.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

if a national newspaper can show specific individuals and name them enemies of the state, then unfortunately, thick racist scum like UKIP are allowed to make more generalised right wing threats

meanwhile BBC TV news just runs vox pops of people saying they think it will all probably be fine, apparently that counts as necessary balance against experts saying there's a small but genuine risk that it won't be

I just came in the house to a full-on rant from the missus about this very thing. The conversation went like this

"The BBC ran a Vox Pop on food shortages before..."

"Did they go to Stoke again?"

"I don't know but there was no balance and they allowed the opinions to go unchallenged even though they are wrong... you're right the bias isn't even hidden any more"

It then became sweary and unstructured and I just waited for her to run out of steam

"I know love"

• Like 1

Just had another one on Newsnight, freekin' Newsnight, I remember when that had journalism.

Poncing around the pubs of Grimethorpe filming pensioners with views such as 'we won the war and now they're telling us what we can do'.

Some tory MP said he'd had a meeting in his const recently (it was either Shrewsbury or Salisbury), he said 98% of people there were in favour of 'no deal'.

I'd expect 98% of that 98% are pensioners that think they were in the war in a spitfire when they actually did 6 months national service as a cook in Crewe in 1958. They'll all be working on the presumption their pension is guaranteed. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just had another one on Newsnight, freekin' Newsnight, I remember when that had journalism.

Poncing around the pubs of Grimethorpe filming pensioners with views such as 'we won the war and now they're telling us what we can do'.

Some tory MP said he'd had a meeting in his const recently (it was either Shrewsbury or Salisbury), he said 98% of people there were in favour of 'no deal'.

I'd expect 98% of that 98% are pensioners that think they were in the war in a spitfire when they actually did 6 months national service as a cook in Crewe in 1958. They'll all be working on the presumption their pension is guaranteed. 

Well if it was Shrewsbury the MP is none other than thicko Daniel Kawczynski, so I'm guessing it was indeed Shrewsbury

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Not yer man Kawczynski, was it?

He did tweet the other week that 98% of the village of a few hundred people in Shropshire definitely agreed with all of his maniacal effusions.

IF anyone trying to follow all of this feels that they are struggling to get it or to imagine what might happen then they shouldn't feel either inadequate or alone.

The people fiddling with the dials don't even know what they are doing.

There's only one real, striking truism: Us bods on the wrong end of history are always likely to get ****. Buckle up, the ride might not be 'the one of your life'.

Edited by snowychap

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

Seriously, If it's political and on the BBC, I take as much notice as a Weatherspoons magazine. Might as well file them in the same bin.

You are Diane Abbott and I claim my £4.67 , no £5.25 no £3.72

it was interesting as they interviewed Juncker , Sarkozy , Hollande , Tusk along with various European leaders ( elected ones at that :) ) and also Osborne and Hague and few other advisors that were there 

Amongst other things , why it was interesting as at one stage the EU and Cameron had appeared to agree to a deal ... and then May stepped up with her own demands around immigration control and Cameron then had to persuade Tusk to agree to Mays demands as he wouldn’t be able to get anything through without support of key cabinet members ... it sorta gives an interesting insight into May in the one brief moment she was mentioned in the show

like I say it was an interesting show and gives a good insight into the lead up to the referendum, for those that want one of course :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

You are Diane Abbott and I claim my £4.67 , no £5.25 no £3.72

it was interesting as they interviewed Juncker , Sarkozy , Hollande , Tusk along with various European leaders ( elected ones at that :) ) and also Osborne and Hague and few other advisors that were there 

Amongst other things , why it was interesting as at one stage the EU and Cameron had appeared to agree to a deal ... and then May stepped up with her own demands around immigration control and Cameron then had to persuade Tusk to agree to Mays demands as he wouldn’t be able to get anything through without support of key cabinet members ... it sorta gives an interesting insight into May in the one brief moment she was mentioned in the show

like I say it was an interesting show and gives a good insight into the lead up to the referendum, for those that want one of course :)

I'm reading you telling me that this is all caused by the fractures in the Tory Party, May is a racist little Englander and the population of the country is being f***ed by the Tory Party's battle within itself

Could have told you that 3 years ago:mrgreen:

• Like 4

8 hours ago, snowychap said:

IF anyone trying to follow all of this feels that they are struggling to get it or to imagine what might happen then they shouldn't feel either inadequate or alone.

The people fiddling with the dials don't even know what they are doing.

It makes no sense at all. Presumably the gambit is to say "well look, we'd love to sign off on this agreement we've done, but Parliament have told us that we need it to look more like this".

That only works (and even then still probably doesn't) if you haven't whipped your MPs to vote for the thing you need to claim has been forced on you.

As for Labour - if they don't back the Cooper amendment, they are refusing to support the thing that they themselves were insisting the Government do a fortnight ago.

It's thoroughly embarrassing stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

And not a single one will really understand what no deal actually means.

That's the real crux of the matter isn't it?

I don't think anyone can really understand what No Deal actually means and really be in favour of it.

• Like 2

Â