The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i don't recall you being so vocal when their life was disrupted by striking French employees of MyFerryLink

Disruption caused by one's own government's preventable policy is far, far worse than unionised workers in another country. You know this, so don't be disingenuous. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Why is he still propagating this idea that A50 will be extended as if it's wholly within the UK's purview to extend it?

Not what he said, of course.  Nor implied.  The UK would have to make the first move by requesting an extension, but we really don't need every mention of that to append "subject to EU consent which they have previously said would be sympathetically considered if for a specific purpose and duration".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

Not what he said, of course.  Nor implied.  The UK would have to make the first move by requesting an extension, but we really don't need every mention of that to append "subject to EU consent which they have previously said would be sympathetically considered if for a specific purpose and duration".

Yes but the EU have pretty much said what the only circumstances in which they'll agree to an extension. One of those is the not going to happen General Election and the other is a 2nd Referendum. We really don't need every mention of that to append that bit either... except clearly we bloody well do

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes but the EU have pretty much said what the only circumstances in which they'll agree to an extension. One of those is the not going to happen General Election and the other is a 2nd Referendum. We really don't need every mention of that to append that bit either... except clearly we bloody well do

If it all looks like going tits up, eg if the government can't command a majority for anything and neither can anyone else, it will be in everyone's interest to agree an extension.

Would the EU really say, in those circumstances, "No, we said there were no other circumstances in which an extension could be agreed, so we're going to create even more chaos because we don't wish to adjust to changing circumstamces"?

Please note, this is not the Brexiters' "they'll back down when we see the whites of their eyes" fantasy, just a suggestion that on the spectrum of pragmatism vs utter insanity, the EU may prefer pragmatism.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The masochistic side of my personality is looking forward to the various party's European Election campaigns in July.

Does anyone think we may get it turned into a referendum by default? New one policy party/alliance for a meaningless election?

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Repeal Article 50, then the very next day, issue it again.

Et voila, instant two year extension that Jonny Foreigner can do nothing about! :)

Just now, bickster said:

Does anyone think we may get it turned into a referendum by default? New one policy party/alliance for a meaningless election?

Well, that would work if UKIP / Leave won, they could collect their fat salary for a few years for turning up to bang on about Dunkirk and muslim bananas.

If remain won, that would be a bit weird, 'cos we'd just have a load of MEP's just happy to be there.

😀

• Haha 1

Just now, Risso said:

Repeal Article 50, then the very next day, issue it again.

Et voila, instant two year extension that Jonny Foreigner can do nothing about! :)

Not possible as far as I'm aware, there is a clause I believe that prevents malicious revocation of Article 50.

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure why an extension of uncertainty is in the EU's interest?

They have recognised that a chaotic no-deal would harm them.  In that situation, uncertainty would be better than certain chaos.  They wouldn't like it or want it, but would see it is less damaging to themselves.

But they would probably also become more determined to press their own interests from that point, less willing to find common ground.

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The 'Brady amendment' is the only thing getting agreed tonight. And that's a nice summing up of the shitshow.

Surely the Dromey / Spelman "we don't want no deal, but not enough to do anything about it" one will go through. Not that it means anything.

32 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sure what I am most annoyed about. Villa being shit at football or you lot being shit at brexit 

I'm wondering if Steve Bruce has secretly been in charge all along.

No strategy, no tactics, lots of attention paid to the right backs but no actual working backstop, loads of money spent without commensurate results, very unbalanced squad, plenty of excuses...and time's run out...

Â