The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

I was blocked on Twitter yesterday by Paul Oakley, the General Secretary of UKIP.  He's the first person to block me on social media.  I think.

He'd tweeted along the lines of "Nigel needs to get his khakis back on and get back into the frontline so the Remoaners can't betray the will of the people".

I asked him a simple question for clarity, but perhaps the "bore off" bit was what offended him so much?

18 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Queen trolls Prime Minister with EU themed hat.

DC2pT6vXUAIXJFO.jpg

And we know how carefully every detail is planned for events like this, which means there is absolutely no way that's an accident :)

• Like 4

I was a big remainer and would still like to remain but my original reasoning for voting remain was because the EU were our only insulation against a strong neoliberal austerity first right wing government. Now the Tories have been removed of a lot of their power it's not quite as important. Obviously it will still be bad for the economy overall but at the moment we've taken back control ourselves by removing their majority and forcing them to backtrack on certain policies.

12 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I was a big remainer and would still like to remain but my original reasoning for voting remain was because the EU were our only insulation against a strong neoliberal austerity first right wing government. Now the Tories have been removed of a lot of their power it's not quite as important. Obviously it will still be bad for the economy overall but at the moment we've taken back control ourselves by removing their majority and forcing them to backtrack on certain policies.

:D

**** this arsehole

Theresa May single-handedly blocked a plan to immediately guarantee the future rights of the 3m EU citizens in the UK last summer, George Osborne has revealed.

The then-Home Secretary was the only member of the Cabinet to oppose David Cameron, who “wanted to reassure EU citizens they would be allowed to stay”, after Brexit.

“All his Cabinet agreed with that unilateral offer, except his Home Secretary, Mrs May, who insisted on blocking it,” revealed the Evening Standard, now edited by Mr Osborne.

The proposal was discussed “in the days immediately after the referendum” exactly one year ago, said the newspaper.

The revelation comes after EU citizens in the UK protested that Ms May’s “generous” offer – outlined last night - will leave them with less rights after Brexit than “British jam”.

The Prime Minister’s proposals also ran into trouble from other EU leaders who warned of “open questions” and a “long, long way to go” before agreement.

Since reaching No 10, Ms May has faced down pleas to act unilaterally, insisting she would only offer guarantees to EU citizens if British ex-pats in the EU were given the same protection.

The stance fitted with her hardline approach to immigration, as she vowed tough new controls would be a “red line” in the Brexit negotiations.

Earlier this year, MPs threw out a Lords amendment requiring Britain to act immediately after the Prime Minister promised worried Tory backbenchers she would do exactly that.

Last night, she told a Brussels summit that she was willing to give the 3m EU citizens in Britain a new “settled status”, allowing them to stay if they have lived here for five years.

People gaining it would secure rights on healthcare, education and benefits broadly similar to those enjoyed by EU citizens in the UK currently.

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Happy birthday to the absolute cluster **** that was the Leave vote.

Nothing wrong with the leave vote , just the people leading the negations

• Like 2

At least Maybot has allowed EU-citizens to stay in her framework as part of the negotiations. That'll at least make some of the EU negotiators happy. 

In other news Macron seems to be stating the obvious about why Britain voted to leave. He wants to tighten employment regulations so that nationals are offered jobs first before immigrant workers.

On the other hand, I don't see how British youth are going to be picking asparagus or fruit any time soon - so I guess he's referring to jobs further up the line. He also spoke about immigration from East and South EU causing the wages to stay pretty stagnant across the richer part of the union. Hopefully they'll listen to him in Brussels because as of now any shady company will justify social dumping by hiring someone from a poorer part of the union rather than hiring a British citizen as they are more expensive.

Edited by magnkarl

45 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Both Osbourne and May are total shits. I don't get how he's biting the hand that fed him for so long now just because he's an editor. He's become a mix between two of the worst things in our society - lying politicians and politically coloured, partial editors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

**** this arsehole

Last night, she told a Brussels summit that she was willing to give the 3m EU citizens in Britain a new “settled status”, allowing them to stay if they have lived here for five years.

We'll have to wait and see the detail on that, though. I gather the initial stuff is due on Monday.

If it's the same 'five years' as currently then it's five continuous years with various other requirements in there (including the stuff about Comprehensive Sickness Insurance, for example).

Edited by snowychap
Sickness for Health

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Nothing wrong with the leave vote , just the people leading the negations

If only there had been some way to predict at the time of the vote that the likes of David Davis were clueless imbeciles, unaware that we wouldn't be able to negotiate a trade deal with Germany. Or (allegedly) that Ireland would be staying with the EU rather than coming with us.

Apart from all the things that he was saying and doing at the time, obviously.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

Good start...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-donald-tusk-theresa-may-citizens-offer-below-expectations-eu-european-council-brussels-a7804751.html

The European Union has torpedoed Theresa May’s proposals on the rights of three million EU citizens in the UK after Brexit, warning it would make their situation worse.

“The UK’s offer is below our expectations and risks worsening the situation for our citizens,” said Donald Tusk, the European Council’s President.

Cameron, Osborne, May, Fox, Johnson, Davies, "Hunt"...

How comical that the tories have tried to portray themselves as the party of competence.

This lot couldn't find their own arse in the dark using both hands.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Risso said:

Donald Tusk can **** off, the man is a grandstanding clown.

+1. 

They want extra territorial authority for the ECJ in the UK, which is obviously a non-starter. 

Will be interesting to see what the full proposal is next Monday, until then the EUeratti are sounding off because they like to be heard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterms said:

Cameron, Osborne, May, Fox, Johnson, Davies, "Hunt"...

How comical that the tories have tried to portray themselves as the party of competence.

This lot couldn't find their own arse in the dark using both hands.

Yes, and Donald Tusk, Claude Junker, Guy Verhofstadt and the like are just as bad on the other side. Career politicians that know very little about the real world but were lucky enough to be born into the political elite in their countries. All these three brand themselves as equal opportunity liberals when in fact they earn so much on the EU project that it's overwhelming. All three could forgo their EU salaries with no problem and live in luxury for the rest of their lives. Yet when someone has to actually contribute to the EU in taking in immigrants their 3 countries are amongst the worst. Poland has one of the most far-right governments in Europe, Luxembourg is pissing off everyone around them for being a tax haven and Belgium has the biggest identity crisis in modern world politics. 

Macron will surely have pissed off a lot of these folks when he said that EU is in dire need of reform yesterday. How long will it take before he becomes the new laughing stock in Brussels?

Â