The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Tusk:

To claim Tusk was 'born into the political elite' whilst growing up in a Communist Poland is fairly amusing.

Juncker I'll grant you, but Verhofstadt seemed to get into politics in his uni days as far as I can see.

Granted, he grew up in Soviet union, he still had a very good life for someone in the country compared to most. He was lucky to be of the right age when the curtain fell. The story is very different to that wikipedia article if you ask any Polish person about him. He's INCREDIBLY unpopular in Poland.

Edited by magnkarl

I live here, funnily enough.

Apathetic towards him is probably the worst you'll get. Everyone I spoke to was utterly embarrassed at Poland being the only country to vote against him for relection because of PiS' extreme partisanship.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

I live here, funnily enough.

Apathetic towards him is probably the worst you'll get. Everyone I spoke to was utterly embarrassed at Poland being the only country to vote against him for relection because of PiS' extreme partisanship.

Maybe it's a pole in UK thing, they all seem to be pissed off at the Smolensk disaster comments, his constant slithering after Merkel and the way he uses his EU powers to try to force Poland into something the government doesn't want to do. Is there none of that sentiment in Poland too?

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Smolensk disaster comments, 

The constant pandering around Smolensk is an absolute embarrassment over here for the majority. It was years ago. It was an accident. The fact they mourn it every month is pathetic and purely political.

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

his constant slithering after Merkel 

Can't comment. No one has ever mentioned to me.

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

he uses his EU powers to try to force Poland into something the government doesn't want to do.

The same government that wanted to ban abortion even for medical reasons and after rape? Yeah I can't really moan about that.

Those going to the UK are more likely to vote PiS and live in villages/towns  (piS are immensely unpopular in cities)

1 hour ago, Awol said:

They want extra territorial authority for the ECJ in the UK, which is obviously a non-starter. 

Do forgive me if I'm mis-remembering, but didn't you also say that agreeing a settlement figure without concurrent discussions around future trade was also a non-starter?

That position seemed to last a few hours on the first day before being abandoned to be replaced with "what the EU wanted".

Edited by ml1dch

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The constant pandering around Smolensk is an absolute embarrassment over here for the majority. It was years ago. It was an accident. The fact they mourn it every month is pathetic and purely political.

Can't comment. No one has ever mentioned to me.

The same government that wanted to ban abortion even for medical reasons and after rape? Yeah I can't really moan about that.

Those going to the UK are more likely to vote PiS and live in villages/towns  (piS are immensely unpopular in cities)

Good to know. I don't like the abortion laws in Poland either. I just find it a bit comical that we have three people constantly berating the UK in Junker, Verhofstadt and Tusk when their own countries are not exactly in the best terms with the rest of the union right now. It's weird how migrants have such differing views to the country they are from.

On Verhofstadt's past, going to university in Belgium in 1972 makes him extremely privileged amongst his his peers. Belgium was one of the poorest countries in Europe until the EU balanced things out. The trade of ivory remained one of Belgium's big trade incomes well into the 70's when they started profiting heavily from being a member of the EU. Flanders (where Verhofstadt is from) is incredibly rich compared to the rest of the country.

Edited by magnkarl

37 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Granted, he grew up in Soviet union, he still had a very good life for someone in the country compared to most. 

is very different to

43 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Yes, and Donald Tusk, and the like are just as bad on the other side. Career politicians that know very little about the real world but were lucky enough to be born into the political elite in their countries.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

is very different to

I would still say that Donald Tusk is a career politician with very little real world experience besides from being a politician, but I guess that goes for most politicians these days. If you're not sure what to be when you grow up, study history and become a politician. You'll be able to expense your cognac collection to the EU coffers (tongue in cheek) and go to G7 summits even though you're not really a state. :) 

9 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Do forgive me if I'm mis-remembering, but didn't you also say that agreeing a settlement figure without concurrent discussions around future trade was also a non-starter?

That position seemed to last a few hours on the first day before being abandoned to be replaced with "what the EU wanted".

The UK position is that nothing is agreed until everything is agreed, so they can 'agree' on a provisional figure but there won't be a commitment to pay it until HMG is satisfied with the shape of the future trading arrangements.

Not 'what the EU wanted' but a realistic position for both sides. 

Ending the rule of the ECJ post Brexit is a showstopper on the UK side, if that is dropped it'll be because Brexit's been abandoned completely - which seems unlikely.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It should always have been best of three.

I think we'll need a referendum on the final proposal before it's signed. It's clear that it's probably Corbyn that is going to be in power when the severing is done, and I presume he'll probably want to tear up what has been agreed before he got into the picture.

From what old ministers are saying it was May who blocked the UK from saying to EU that we were giving EU nationals the same rights as ours last year. I have no idea how this woman is still standing.

6 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Here's someone who gets it. What will happen? Are we going to make a U-turn on the EU vote?

I was thinking the same thing. Stepping back from the fun of the election and thinking about things and you realise the UK has put itself in a self inflicted **** of a situation. 

• Like 1

I see there's a behind the paywall interview with Liam Fox about the Brexit with the headline:

Liam Fox interview: 'The country made its views clear. What part of that don't people understand?'

Other than the annoying nonsense in the headline, we aren't allowed access to an interview with one of the ministers in the triumvirate of 'get out' unless we pay for it.

That's taking back control, people. ;)

• Like 2

Â