The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

He was against EU State Aid Rules which ultimately put him exactly where stated, the Turkey Step

I honestly don't think that would've come into it at all. He was anti-Trident but Labour policy was pro-Trident. He hated Blair but never expelled him :D 

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I honestly don't think that would've come into it at all. He was anti-Trident but Labour policy was pro-Trident. He hated Blair but never expelled him :D 

Jeremy Corbyn has urged the Conservative government to tear up European Union state aid rules after Britain leaves the European Union, describing them as “no longer valid”.

The Labour leader said that June’s referendum result was a rejection of the free market economic policies pursued by successive governments in Britain.

Irish Times Sept 16 2016

Very much on his agenda and puts him on the Turkey Step

Just now, bickster said:

Irish Times Sept 16 2016

Very much on his agenda and puts him on the Turkey Step

I can find loads of later articles which say he's urging MPs to go for Norway+ / CM2.0 which would supersede that. But in the friendliest terms of @blandy, whatever :) 

Just now, darrenm said:

I can find loads of later articles which say he's urging MPs to go for Norway+ / CM2.0 which would supersede that. But in the friendliest terms of @blandy, whatever :) 

I'd respectively suggest JC was talking bollocks most of the time when it came to what he wanted from Brexit but State Aid rules were high on his agenda because he believed we needed rid of them to enable his nationalisation programme. He was even wrong on that front but as usual would never admit it, even when it had been pointed out to him countless times

Shortages in shops are starting and industry. JLR running out of vital components, I wonder how long it goes on before this becomes a crisis? BBC starting to take notice of the chaos that's unfolding at our ports. 

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

That (when he held that view) was a (IMO) reasonable position. Then party politics got in the way.

• Like 1

Worker protections enshrined in EU law — including the 48-hour week — would be ripped up under plans being drawn up by the government as part of a post-Brexit overhaul of UK labour markets. 

The package of deregulatory measures is being put together by the UK’s business department with the approval of Downing Street, according to people familiar with the matter. It has not yet been agreed by ministers — or put to the cabinet — but select business leaders have been sounded out on the plan.

The proposed shake-up of regulations from the “working time directive” will delight many Tory MPs but is likely to spark outrage among Britain’s trade union leaders.

The move would potentially mark a clear divergence from EU labour market standards but the UK would only face retaliation from Brussels under the terms of its new post-Brexit trade treaty if the EU could demonstrate the changes had a material impact on competition.

The main areas of focus are on ending the 48-hour working week, tweaking the rules around rest breaks at work and not including overtime pay when calculating some holiday pay entitlements, said people familiar with the plans.

The government also wants to remove the requirement of businesses to log the detailed, daily reporting of working hours, saving an estimated £1bn.

We are mindful of the prime minister’s call to ‘level up’ and that must always mean improving the environment in which people work

Mark Fox, chief executive of the Business Services Association

The government insisted that any reforms would be designed to help both companies and their employees — and put to a full consultation — saying it had no intention of “lowering” workers’ rights. 

Financial Times

Did we have this wrong from the beginning, and it's not foreigners that Tories despise, for some reason it's specifically importers and exporters? The whole thing appears to have been deliberately arranged to cause them as much cost and hassle as possible.

“We did everything we could to prepare for Brexit and are part of the DTI’s export champion community,” says Paul. But since 1 January, his firm – like other UK exporters – has been hit by three new charges. And four days ago the firm discovered another one that his customers in the EU will have to pay on receiving the goods.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/17/shock-brexit-charges-are-hurting-us-say-small-british-businesses

Edited by Dr_Alimantado

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm still flip-flopping between whether I think these ministers are mendacious, thick as shit, or both...

In the case of the fishermen though, what they are seeing has been known and inevitable for years. 

The time to shout loudly in the press about it was 2015 - 2019. Maybe the other thing they might have wanted to do was not elect Tory MPs in loads of the communities that rely on fish exports. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

In the case of the fishermen though, what they are seeing has been known and inevitable for years. 

The time to shout loudly in the press about it was 2015 - 2019. Maybe the other thing they might have wanted to do was not elect Tory MPs in loads of the communities that rely on fish exports. 

Or be so strongly in favour of Brexit...

I can understand them being angry. The Leave campaigners promised life would be better for the fisherfolk, even if Remoaners said they were lying.

Now it's all gone tits up and the government are saying it's not because of Brexit.

• Like 1

Fishing has clearly been the sacrificial pawn.  The whole UK was facing armageddon and fishing was clearly the sticking point for a long time. 

The upshot for me is that it was never going to be possible to get a deal which improved the lot of the fishing industry.  At least not one that would not have had to sacrifice something larger. 

Unfortunately though if you pardon the pun, the fisherfolk bought the Brexit propaganda hook line and sinker. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â