The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

If you have a left over sandwich from Heathrow airport in your hand luggage when you get to Australia no one gives a toss. The bio-security laws in Australia are designed to prevent unusual diseases from being brought into an island which might not have seen them before.  

I wonder what the Dutch will do if the truckie drives his sandwich into the Netherlands via the Calais crossing instead 😬

This just isn't true. F*** me at Syndney Airport we were about the only people in the flight that didn't have our bags searched for contraband. My withering loom as lack or words did the trick but people thought we were royalty for being let through without being searched

Taking people's ham sandwiches from them on a trip into the Netherlands is frikking stupid. But it's nowhere near as stupid or as much of a farce as Brexit itself. It doesn't come close but I suppose there's a certain poetry to it and it's certainly not the only example.

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Then I bet you can guess what my next question might be 😁

"Why is it the law?"

If so, because that's what we asked for. We said we wanted the right to diverge on standards. So we have that right, and therefore things that could be high risk won't be allowed in. Half a dozen Qantas in-flight apples aren't really a risk to the Australian ecosystem. But if you have a law, you apply it.

Obviously we're probably not going to reduce standards. But because the Government wanted the right to, even though they won't use that right - EU border law won't make assumptions about whether we have or not.

We could have taken the Swiss or Norwegian approach to food standards and our ham sandwiches would pass unmolested. The Government decided the principle of divergence was more important than the practicality of border administration. 

Edit - and while I don't claim to be some sort of wise sage on the matter, this wasn't exactly an unknown consequence. Check what this guy was saying two years ago...

On 31/12/2018 at 22:42, ml1dch said:

Other way, sure. Check everything right down to the wooden pallets and the driver's sandwiches. I just don't see what's causing the queues with goods going this way.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

"Why is it the law?"

If so, because that's what we asked for. We said we wanted the right to diverge on standards. So we have that right, and therefore things that could be high risk won't be allowed in. Half a dozen Qantas in-flight apples aren't really a risk to the Australian ecosystem. But if you have a law, you apply it.

Obviously we're probably not going to reduce standards. But because the Government wanted the right to, even though they won't use that right - EU border law won't make assumptions about whether we have or not.

We could have taken the Swiss or Norwegian approach to food standards and our ham sandwiches would pass unmolested. The Government decided the principle of divergence was more important than the practicality of border administration. 

That obviously applies to sandwiches travelling in both directions. I wonder if the UK take a similar strict line or would allow exemptions for personal consumption? Or similarly for peoples sandwiches travelling from Britain to Northern Ireland? 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That obviously applies to sandwiches travelling in both directions. I wonder if the UK take a similar strict line or would allow exemptions for personal consumption? Or similarly for peoples sandwiches travelling from Britain to Northern Ireland? 

On the former, that's completely up to us. I'd be surprised. But hey, that's thanks to the autonomy that we now have to control our borders how we see fit. Just like they have the autonomy to do the same. And unless there is an agreement to say otherwise, they'll treat us like they'd treat any other country without a food standards agreement. It's not treating us as an exception, it's doing the exact opposite - it's treating us the same as they treat everyone else. 

On the Northern Ireland point, it woudn't surprise me at all if they did. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I'm still none the wiser as to why it's actually necessary for travel between the EU and UK

It's because "them's the rules" - Like I say border agents are not known as users of discretion. The rules for the EU have all EU countries standards being the same, and therefore no checks on scoff are required for "nice clean ham-eating Europeans". But for non-EU countries, the rules and standards do not automatically apply, so the border plod follow the rules for non-EU citizens/items - "those dirty non-EU types could have got their ham from filthy non-EU conforming chickens". 

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's because "them's the rules" - Like I say border agents are not known as users of discretion. The rules for the EU have all EU countries standards being the same, and therefore no checks on scoff are required for "nice clean ham-eating Europeans". But for non-EU countries, the rules and standards do not automatically apply, so the border plod follow the rules for non-EU citizens/items - "those dirty non-EU types could have got their ham from filthy non-EU conforming chickens". 

So obviously no one is flying at the moment but are we also assuming that this is going to happen to everyone who steps of a plane from the UK arriving in the EU when people start going on holidays again? Everyone will be searched at customs and any food confiscated? 

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

So obviously no one is flying at the moment but are we also assuming that this is going to happen to everyone who steps of a plane from the UK arriving in the EU when people start going on holidays again? Everyone will be searched at customs and any food confiscated? 

I imagine you'll be given the chance to declare them, then there will be random spot checks rather than every person being searched.

Amazing how even now, people are shocked we're being treated like any other 3rd country.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I reckon it'll depend on the country. I can imagine some EU countries (France) being very strict and others less so. I guess over time (long time, change of Gov't) the UK will try and get better treatment towards that which we threw away.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I imagine you'll be given the chance to declare them, then there will be random spot checks rather than every person being searched.

Amazing how even now, people are shocked we're being treated like any other 3rd country.

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

I reckon it'll depend on the country. I can imagine some EU countries (France) being very strict and others less so. I guess over time (long time, change of Gov't) the UK will try and get better treatment towards that which we threw away.

Yeah I also suspect it will probably depend on the country as to how strictly the regulations will actually be enforced. Which kind of brings us back to the start of the discussion about the Dutch and their application of the regulations to truck drivers sandwiches.

23 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We were part of club so we were allowed through the doors, no questions asked.

We are no longer part of the club, we're a guest.

We had VIP treatment but a bunch of billionaires/racists/both convinced 52% of us to hang ourselves with the velvet rope.

18 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Reckon this is going to be a pretty recurrent theme over the next year. Didn't think it would arrive so quickly though.

Sympathy for people who this has screwed over:

Quickly turning into trying to remain sympathetic when five years ago they were trying to screw over other people:

Erods1FXcAAdWir?format=jpg&name=900x900

(since deleted, hence not linking the original)

I don't even understand what their problem is?  They shouldn't even need to sell to Europe anymore.  They should be overrun with new orders under better trading terms from Africa and former Commonwealth Countries and Brazil etc.  

I'm suprised they've even got any time for their old European customers. 

• Haha 1

Just now, sidcow said:

I don't even understand what their problem is?  They shouldn't even need to sell to Europe anymore.  They should be overrun with new orders under better trading terms from Africa and former Commonwealth Countries and Brazil etc.  

I'm suprised they've even got any time for their old European customers. 

Why doesn't he start shipping to Japan? They don't even cook the ruddy things over there! Savages!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Listen to the absolute state of this bollocks. Those fisherfolk voted for this word removed and similar mealy-mouthed nonsense -

I'm surprised they've not already launched a program to paint "our" fish with a union jack and legislated against them swimming away.

I am really taken aback about them nicking all our sandwiches.  Bearing in mind they need us more than we need them you would think they would at least let us keep our snacks. 

It's actually kind of shocking that they aren't handing us free local delicacies as we arrive just to keep us sweet really. 

I'm starting to get the beginning of an inkling that the Brexiteers weren't 100% truthful with us. I'm sure it's nothing though, probably a misunderstanding that Boris will attend to post haste. 

We need to remind Johnny Foreigner about the Great in Great Britain.  Those Dutch should go back to smoking their weed and fingering dikes.  They'd all be speaking German if it wasn't for us. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â