The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:
Deeply and truly sad.

I'd argue that this is the sort of thing that's truly sad.

The parents of a six year old girl from Suffolk, with severe epilepsy, have run out of her medication, because of Brexit. 

Indie-Rose who comes from Clare uses a cannabis based medicine, prescribed by doctors here, but imported from the Netherlands. 

But since new rules came into force at the beginning of the year her prescription is no longer recognised by EU countries.

The medication six year old Indie-Rose relies on to ease her life threatening seizures has for now, run out 

"There is just no route of access, so, because of Covid we can't fly, because of Brexit and the new rules we cannot obtain it legally at the moment anyway, so there's like a blanket ban on the only medication that she takes, she doesn't take any other medication, so we have nothing else to give her"- Tannine Montgomery, Indie-Rose's mum

The whole shitty situation is depressing enough, but imagine if you were having to watch your six year old child suffer and you knew that these braying morons and their voters were the ones responsible. 

• Sad 1

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-whos-roger-daltry-says-brexit-wont-affect-british-musicians-as-if-we-didnt-tour-europe-before-the-f-eu-2462954

The Who‘s Roger Daltrey says Brexit won’t affect British musicians.

The frontman, who has previously defended his pro-Brexit views, was asked whether Brexit would be ‘bad for British rock music’.

“No. What’s it got to do with the rock business?” he told Sky News. “How are you going to tour in Europe?” the interviewer replied

“Oh dear. As if we didn’t tour Europe before the f****** EU,” he said.

It's almost as if most of the Brexiteers had no concept whatsoever about what leaving the EU would actually mean. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Arsehole

When people say this shit, it is clear they don't actually know what the EU is. And the shocking thing is for me, it's the same with literally everyone I know who voted for Brexit.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Why would anybody imagine that Roger Daltrey could make an informed comment about politics anyway?

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the last war

Lets hope he won't get fooled again eh?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

When people say this shit, it is clear they don't actually know what the EU is. And the shocking thing is for me, it's the same with literally everyone I know who voted for Brexit.

They all wanted to hurt the EU bullies, and thought it could be done without negatively impacting their daily lives.

That’s what it boiled down to.

I'm really concerned I'm going to have a big bill.

I bought a Wahoo Kickr bike trainer for £700 a week ago. There was no mention on their web site it would be shipped from outside the UK. Now I look at the tracking info on UPS and it says:

image.png.66368bf8a485790bdb1fad6cdd41ce35.png

On the seller's web site it says

image.thumb.png.f12997802cc3c6e4a3ca997d18434131.png

so theoretically they've worked out and already paid VAT and customs for me. But it says UK and EU so looks like it hasn't been updated. Or perhaps they've got their act together and are already doing it right so their customers see no difference even if it's a huge customs charge.

I'm just worrying the UPS guy will turn up tomorrow with a huge customs charge. If it's a big bill then I could refuse delivery but then I'm still liable for the customs duty and wouldn't be able to claim it back from the seller. I'm not happy because the seller never said it would be coming from outside the UK. I suppose I could reference the line on their web site which says "all taxes and duties are paid at the time of purchase" and twist their arm.

What the **** has this country done?

34 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I bought a Wahoo Kickr bike trainer for £700 a week ago. There was no mention on their web site it would be shipped from outside the UK. Now I look at the tracking info on UPS and it says:

so theoretically they've worked out and already paid VAT and customs for me. But it says UK and EU so looks like it hasn't been updated. Or perhaps they've got their act together and are already doing it right so their customers see no difference even if it's a huge customs charge.

I'm just worrying the UPS guy will turn up tomorrow with a huge customs charge. If it's a big bill then I could refuse delivery but then I'm still liable for the customs duty and wouldn't be able to claim it back from the seller. I'm not happy because the seller never said it would be coming from outside the UK. I suppose I could reference the line on their web site which says "all taxes and duties are paid at the time of purchase" and twist their arm.

Hang on, the ordinary man in the street was supposed to be better off? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Did you pay via credit or debit card?

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Did you pay via credit or debit card?

Credit. Not sure that'll help though. I'm sure they'd refund me but I'd still have to pay shipping charges both ways.

Similar story on BBC front page

I had no idea at all I was going to be charged any more for deliveries after Brexit. The extra costs were definitely a bit of a shock."

Ellie Huddleston, a 26-year-old Londoner, thought she would treat herself to some new work clothes in the January sales. 

Having spotted a bargain, she placed an order for a coat and a number of blouses from two of her favourite clothes brands based in Europe.

But both deliveries were delayed, held up in customs checks for at least a week, she says.

She was surprised when she then received a text from courier company DPD, containing a link asking her to pay £58 in customs duties, VAT and additional charges for her £180 order.

On top of that, the UPS courier for the second parcel showed up at her door several days later, asking for an extra payment of £82 for her £200 coat.

These charges, imposed by new government rules, have to be collected by the courier firms on the authorities' behalf.

"I didn't even know when the parcels would be coming - so I sent both back without paying the extra fees and won't be ordering anything from Europe again any time soon," Ellie says.

Post-Brexit charges

When the UK was part of the European Union's customs union, goods could move freely between the country and other member states without import taxes being charged.

But Ellie was one of the shoppers caught unaware of the fact that those rules have changed since the UK's official exit.

EU retailers sending packages to the UK now need to fill out customs declaration forms. Shoppers may also have to pay customs or VAT charges, depending on the value of the product and where it came from.

However, these are the responsibility of the customer, not the retailer, who often has no idea of how much the eventual extra cost might be.

They cannot be paid in advance and are levied only when the item reaches the UK.

Another unhappy customer, Graeme from Manchester, paid £300 to buy two pairs of suede winter boots from a German firm online.

"You couldn't get them anywhere in the UK, so I had no choice but to order them from Europe," he told the BBC.

The next thing he knew, courier UPS had sent him a text message saying he had to pay £147 extra before the boots could be delivered. He paid up, but is still waiting for the goods to arrive.

"It was virtually impossible to find out what the charges would be beforehand," he says, "so I had to take a shot in the dark.

"I didn't imagine that it would be half as much again."

I must be being really thick here, but I thought the “deal” included tariff free trading?

What did. the deal do if not? We’ve got a mountain of paperwork and taxes when trading with the EU... where does the deal part come into it?

Edited by Genie

8 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Credit. Not sure that'll help though. I'm sure they'd refund me but I'd still have to pay shipping charges both ways.

There's a thread on the zwift forums (since their ships-to-UK-shop is based out of the NL); plenty of people with similar issues where UPS have put a hold on shipping/export - as far as I can see some people have started getting their trainers/run pods/socks through via UPS.   I've just seen someone post that they were in the same situation having ordered direct from wahoo (as far as I can see no one say replied to say their zwift store purchases incurred further charges before delivery)- they were chaged via UPS but were refunded this charge from Wahoo. 

https://forums.zwift.com/t/attn-uk-customers-of-zwift-shop-january-2021/526410/56

On 4th January I also ordered trainers from Wahoo. They had the same problems with UPS but have since resolved it by:

• UPS charged me import fees.
  • I paid them and Wahoo refunded me.
  • The trainers arrived a few days later

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CardiffGreens said:

There's a thread on the zwift forums (since their ships-to-UK-shop is based out of the NL); plenty of people with similar issues where UPS have put a hold on shipping/export - as far as I can see some people have started getting their trainers/run pods/socks through via UPS.   I've just seen someone post that they were in the same situation having ordered direct from wahoo (as far as I can see no one say replied to say their zwift store purchases incurred further charges before delivery)- they were chaged via UPS but were refunded this charge from Wahoo. 

https://forums.zwift.com/t/attn-uk-customers-of-zwift-shop-january-2021/526410/56

I had this years back when I bought a phone that came from Asia, retailer refunded the tax. However, this seems to be beside the wider point, why are we paying taxes and duties on goods from the EU?

We shouldn’t be paying taxes should we?

So what changes on 1 January?

The deal contains new rules for how the UK and EU will live, work and trade together.

While the UK was in the EU, companies could buy and sell goods across EU borders without paying taxes and there were no limits on the amount of things which could be traded.

Under the terms of the deal, that won't change on 1 January, but to be sure that neither side has an unfair advantage, both sides had to agree to some shared rules and standards on workers' rights, as well as many social and environmental regulations. You can read more detail on other aspects of the deal, including more on travel, fishing, and financial services, here .

Link

Â