The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Minor point of order - one person.

That absolute moron Douglas Carswell was elected as a UKIP candidate in a 2014 by-election that he triggered, and then held the seat in 2015.

Sorry, yeah. I thought he was a Tory who defected.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Excellent.  We can now concentrate on buying British Cycle Spares

To be fair, this was an argument put to me by a Brexit supporting mate ages ago during the ref campaign - Like with @Awol, it was good to have rational discussions with him, without falling out. His view was that the UK would have to make more stuff to fill the gap he acknowledged would be left by Brexit, and that this would be an overall good thing. Whether it actually happens is the question, but it is conceivable that UK manufacturing and farming will have change to fill gaps - though obviously there are multiple questions over getting the skilled and unskilled labour, an ageing population, funding and all the rest of it.

30 minutes ago, blandy said:

To be fair, this was an argument put to me by a Brexit supporting mate ages ago during the ref campaign - Like with @Awol, it was good to have rational discussions with him, without falling out. His view was that the UK would have to make more stuff to fill the gap he acknowledged would be left by Brexit, and that this would be an overall good thing. Whether it actually happens is the question, but it is conceivable that UK manufacturing and farming will have change to fill gaps - though obviously there are multiple questions over getting the skilled and unskilled labour, an ageing population, funding and all the rest of it.

It will be much more expensive than just paying the tax/extra costs and carry on importing.  So prices just go up and we benefit nada. 

Of course we could import cheap skilled labour from overseas.... Oh wait. 

I think home grown Shatners are going to be the most difficult hurdle though. 

7 hours ago, blandy said:

The problem is, many of the large firms we used, to supply home manufactured parts for our industries, were British owned. Considerable numbers of them were flogged off to foreign interests. Instead of moving the E.U. based component factories here, they might find it easier to simply take the whole kit and caboodle off shore.

12 hours ago, blandy said:

His view was that the UK would have to make more stuff to fill the gap he acknowledged would be left by Brexit

Ah yes, good old free-trading Britain open to new global deals and also going to produce its own spare bicycle parts. From the same school of thought of naming an attacking 4-3-3 formation but hoping you can still play five at the back.

See also: hoping Brexit will facilitate a wave of market liberalisation and radical tax reform, but still improve the working conditions of lower-wage workers in Rochdale.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . and now he's stinking up the Welsh Assembly, along with Neil Hamilton.

I think that's his mate Mark Reckless. Carswell is just off making money off the back of his grift now I believe. 

Schadenfreude

Fishing fury: UK boats stuck in harbour after BAN from Norway, Greenland & Faroe waters

BORIS Johnson is failing to safeguard the livelihoods of UK fishermen currently unable to visit seas off the coast of Norway, Greenland and the Faroe Islands because no deals have yet been struck to allow them to do so, a UK company has warned.

Oh Well (link to Express)

Leave.eu relocates website domain to Ireland.

Leave.EU, a pro-Brexit campaign bankrolled by UKIP backer Arron Banks, has migrated its registered office for its website to Waterford so that it can retain its ‘.eu’ internet address.

The move, first reported by the Euractiv website, comes as more than 80,000 .eu domain suffixes belonging to British users were recently suspended following Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union.

Edited by Seat68
  • Haha 3

Â