The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Easiest trade deal in history, is looking a little trickier than the Brexiteers thought. As Barnier said, the UK left us, not us them. The EU owe us nothing. We have a damn sight more to lose than them. US free trade agreement forecast to grow our economy by 0.16%. Who needs Europe eh ? 😢😢

I think it’s pretty much going to plan for the UK negotiators. The UK cannot sign up to EU regulations as free trade deals with the US and others would not be possible. There may be a chance the EU fold but I think both sides understand that is not likely to happen.  ‘No Deal’ was always the aim and that has not changed now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

I think it’s pretty much going to plan for the UK negotiators. The UK cannot sign up to EU regulations as free trade deals with the US and others would not be possible. There may be a chance the EU fold but I think both sides understand that is not likely to happen.  ‘No Deal’ was always the aim and that has not changed now. 

Yes, I think this is correct. They are clearly trying to rebrand 'No Deal' or some extremely minimal arrangement as an 'Australia-style solution' or words to that effect, 'Australia-style' being words that appear to have a very strong arousing effect on the minds of conservatives in this country for some reason.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, I think this is correct. They are clearly trying to rebrand 'No Deal' or some extremely minimal arrangement as an 'Australia-style solution' or words to that effect, 'Australia-style' being words that appear to have a very strong arousing effect on the minds of conservatives in this country for some reason.

It's easy to sell to the general population who generally fall for slogans, and mentioning Australia is good because it's a predominately white country who speak English. 

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's easy to sell to the general population who generally fall for slogans, and mentioning Australia is good because it's a predominately white country who speak English. 

That's my inclination too, that people who don't pay attention to things still think it's a country full of white people where the sun always shines, but still, the extent to which they're horny for it is quite something. They've been going on about an 'Australian-style points-based immigration system' in those words for well over a decade now.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

‘No Deal’ was always the aim and that has not changed now. 

I think it was the aim of a relatively few extremist Eurosceptic tories, sure. I think many others had a different aim, or no real aim, or plan, at all. And some had an aim to leave but (somehow) keep all the refits of being in - too stupid, too lazy, to see the impossibility of that. And I think what's happened is that the stupid and lazy ones, who basically have no understanding have now been found exposed, and so are tending towards grabbing the no deal thing as their only escape, with blaming virus for the ensuing damage a fig leaf for the harm Brexit is going to do.

It may also be that Johnson and Co. are just repeating the utterly imbecilic tactic of using "no deal" as a "threat" to the EU. It's failed every time.

33 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think it was the aim of a relatively few extremist Eurosceptic tories, sure. I think many others had a different aim, or no real aim, or plan, at all. And some had an aim to leave but (somehow) keep all the refits of being in - too stupid, too lazy, to see the impossibility of that. And I think what's happened is that the stupid and lazy ones, who basically have no understanding have now been found exposed, and so are tending towards grabbing the no deal thing as their only escape, with blaming virus for the ensuing damage a fig leaf for the harm Brexit is going to do.

It may also be that Johnson and Co. are just repeating the utterly imbecilic tactic of using "no deal" as a "threat" to the EU. It's failed every time.

Those are the ones Johnson picked for his cabinet.

102852362_2801313659997541_4064469131144671194_n.jpg

The UK should have its own Tory Brexit wave, but I'm not sure if it's to the left or right of the recession wave?

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Xann said:

The UK should have its own Tory Brexit wave, but I'm not sure if it's to the left or right of the recession wave?

Good question; I guess probably in the middle, occupying a substantial but unclear part of the scale of the recession wave.

Fair point, obviously it should be West Germany, but you can infer it. Government systems are never that great, and it's a miracle we've kept websites at all in our transition back to 1973. 

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

"Of course our modern, world class, state of the art Government IT systems can cope with all the extra bureaucracy that we want to bring in"

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Fair point, obviously it should be West Germany, but you can infer it. Government systems are never that great, and it's a miracle we've kept websites at all in our transition back to 1973. 

This is actually the quarantine form, so in theory, it's just been designed. It also contains USSR, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia... and a whole host of other countries that no longer exist. It's quite possible on that logic that it doesn't contain some countries that do exist

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

It also contains USSR, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia... and a whole host of other countries that no longer exist.

And rather impressively, it's a website that somehow includes countries that haven't existed since before websites existed. 

• Haha 1

Â