The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is actually the quarantine form, so in theory, it's just been designed. It also contains USSR, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia... and a whole host of other countries that no longer exist. It's quite possible on that logic that it doesn't contain some countries that do exist

They presumably sourced a very old data file. When I worked at the university we used to have a problem with registering Palestinian students, as the database did not include Palestine as a country. The only option was to put them down as stateless - or Israeli. You can imagine how that went down. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Well I guess the data file could be from somewhere between 6th August and 1st December 1991

Apparently it's from 1975 (the list contains Dahomey, which is apparently what Benin used to be called until then - before my time)

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Apparently it's from 1975 (the list contains Dahomey, which is apparently what Benin used to be called until then - before my time)

My dates were the birth of the internet and the fall of the USSR 🤣

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Well I guess the data file could be from somewhere between 6th August and 1st December 1991

internet crowd GIF

p.s you mean the World Wide Web being available to the public .... not the internet :) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The excuse they've used is that they have been using a list of where people might have been born, rather than where they have travelled from. 

And I guess in the long list of this Government's errors, it'll probably struggle to break the top thousand. 

Still funny though. 

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

The excuse they've used is that they have been using a list of where people might have been born, rather than where they have travelled from. 

Which is a very strange thing to say, as it suggests it was an intentional decision, yet they've updated it and the old countries don't appear in the list anymore.

I find the inability to admit to making a mistake far more frustrating than the mistake itself.

• Like 1

There is literally nothing we could sell to the antipodeans, that they couldn’t get for a fraction of the cost from South East Asia. Meanwhile, a market of 500,000,000 people just 20 miles away is cast off. Madness.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, meregreen said:

There is literally nothing we could sell to the antipodeans, that they couldn’t get for a fraction of the cost from South East Asia. Meanwhile, a market of 500,000,000 people just 20 miles away is cast off. Madness.

You're not accounting for British exceptionalism. 

Decent time to remind people that services (teachers, doctors, financial services, scientific researchers), not goods (boomerangs and Tim Tams), comprise 70% of British GDP.

If you want actual 21st century free trade, you need to look at getting common recognition for services not goods. You might call it a "single market for services", maybe.

• Like 1

The EU post Covid stimulus package looks far more effective than the UK commiting over £100 billion into HS2, a thinly disguised, open ended exercise in stuffing cash into the chum's pockets. Profits to be squirrelled away in tax havens.

Â