The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Just gross. It doesn't matter how you win, as long as you do.

That's more of a Tory mindset thing rather than Brexit IMO,  to have and keep power or to win a vote like the referendum they will do absolutely anything to win.  Boris it seems is more Tory than Dave it seems.   

If this was on the other foot so to speak,  if the Leavers won but acted illegally and posted stuff like this tweet I wonder if people would want another refuredum as they do now sighting the money etc?  (I actually think people made their minds up a long time before the Vote and all the campaining had little or no effect on th emajority of people anyway).  

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 1

No deal is one of those really bad ideas, like shell suits or Celine Dion, which we thought we could leave in the past. But this summer it's somehow all the rage. It's discussed as if it were just another Brexit option.

It is not. No-deal is probably the most demented policy put forward by mainstream British politicians in the modern era. To see how it would work in practice, this piece looks at what would happen on day one. Doing this for the whole economy would take countless pages of Stephen-King-style horror, so it's stripped down to one topic: food. This is the story of how our system for importing and exporting food implodes almost instantly.

This is what No Deal actually looks like

Focuses solely on food and the avalanche of problems that arrive if No Deal is the outcome.

It's Not Good.

Of course people saw a lot of this coming. Not in the more focused details, like a lack of vets, but in the problems of selling to the EU once we are a third country and all the issues that are sharted out from that.

At some point, sanity had better prevail.

• Like 3

Bonus post

Of course she would be completely fine but I'd like to see someone ask. Just to see what her programming farts out.

I have been very clear that there will be adequate insulin for those who deserve it.

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This is what No Deal actually looks like

Focuses solely on food and the avalanche of problems that arrive if No Deal is the outcome.

It's Not Good.

Of course people saw a lot of this coming. Not in the more focused details, like a lack of vets, but in the problems of selling to the EU once we are a third country and all the issues that are sharted out from that.

At some point, sanity had better prevail.

Scary article.

This sums it up well

Brexiters pretend post-Brexit Britain will forge its own standards in trade, but that is false. We're a medium-sized country surrounded on both sides by massive trading entities. The reality is we'll either snuggle into the EU ecosystem or the US ecosystem - it's as simple as that. On food, this is basically about which set of sanitary and phytosanitary standards we adopt. 

If Brexiters can force a situation - especially in the chaotic furnace of no-deal - where the UK starts de-facto accepting US standards by having to bring in lots of their food, it makes it harder for us to align with the EU again in the future. It's a fait accompli, except that Fox would consider that phrase unforgivably continental. Maybe he'd prefer Mission Accomplished.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2018 at 05:22, Xann said:

MSN

We should have their bloody hand off.

Does anyone still think Brexit's a winner?

@Awol?

It's not apparent to me that the EU would let the UK keep its current deal. At present, the UK's special rebate is worth about 5 billion pounds a year.

You've had a special deal, and caused a lot of fuss. Threatened ("we hold all the cards") and distracted the entire EU project for a couple of years.

Ireland would certain accept that deal because of our cousins n Northern Ireland, and don't want them to suffer. But the French? Greeks? Croats? The amount of goodwill needed to let it all slide would be enormous. It would be very "progressive" of the EU to let you have a better deal than every other member state.

The organiser of Womad world music festival has said that entering the UK has become so “difficult and humiliating” since the Brexit referendum that performers are giving up.

Chris Smith stated it's become tougher to enlist performers to this year's festival due to the impact the UK visa process is having on foreign musicians - something he says has “genuinely broke his heart.”

Smith told Radio Times: “The world has never needed events like Womad more than it does now. It stands for tolerance and understanding and learning and openness but that culture is being crushed as politicians lurch to the right.”

Performers from 128 countries are scheduled to attend this year's festival, however, Smith claims that many were forced to withdraw from participation due to the visa process - a development he blames on politicians moving to the right.

“Artists have accepted our invitation and then looked into the visa process and told us, sorry we're just not going to do this,“ he said, adding: ”That's a situation we should be ashamed of.”

“We’ve had situations where, say, an African artist has been due to come who plays a particularly rare instrument, and we’ll be asked: ‘Can’t you find someone in the UK who plays that instrument?’, which is absurd.“

Independent

It'll be fine, everyone that's important can afford the flights and accommodation to see such acts abroad.

7 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Struggling to see what the Brexit referendum has got to do with visa application process for African artists? Tenuous link at best. 

Yes, the bloke the runs the big international World music festival that's been going since the 80s doesn't know what he's talking about.

In addition to this chap's thoughts - You're aware of the carnet system?

24 minutes ago, Xann said:

Yes, the bloke the runs the big international World music festival that's been going since the 80s doesn't know what he's talking about.

In addition to this chap's thoughts - You're aware of the carnet system?

I’m not saying he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I’m suggesting that maybe he holds a political bias that is influencing the framing of his argument. Unfortunately I’m not an expert in applying for work visas in the U.K. but I would be interested to hear which are the specific questions that have been added to the temporary workers visa application form over the last couple of years that artists find so discouraging and which are the questions that we should be ‘ashamed of’. 

30 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Struggling to understand why we care about Womad .

There's no Glastonbury this year, Womad will be up near the top of the list of foreign work/artist visa applications.

If the change in attitude that has been noted by Womad in the movement of talent sets a precedent, and the single market is lost? It'll be a right ballache to come here.

I've been moving people and kit around the World since before the customs union.

I'd prefer if you'd take my word for it, but will expand with details and personal experience if you don't. 

It'll be tomorrow though ;)

I know that there's a band from the USA that have been playing a regular crowd funded gig in London every year for a long long time.

This year, with everyone at the gig, it was cancelled. Because this year, the attitude at Heathrow was significantly more frosty to guys turning up to play one gig and leave again.

There's a band doing a european tour that included a trip in to Switzerland. They've realised at the border they need to leave soemone and all their merch at the border or take an extra few hours going through boxes of tee shirts and cd's to satisfy customs. That'll be us soon.

Both real life stories, one witnessed personally by me. Could be pure coincidence.

But hey, every cloud and all that. Perhaps we'll see a resurgence in home grown morris dancing and skinhead bands.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I know that there's a band from the USA that have been playing a regular crowd funded gig in London every year for a long long time.

This year, with everyone at the gig, it was cancelled. Because this year, the attitude at Heathrow was significantly more frosty to guys turning up to play one gig and leave again.

There's a band doing a european tour that included a trip in to Switzerland. They've realised at the border they need to leave soemone and all their merch at the border or take an extra few hours going through boxes of tee shirts and cd's to satisfy customs. That'll be us soon.

Both real life stories, one witnessed personally by me. Could be pure coincidence.

But hey, every cloud and all that. Perhaps we'll see a resurgence in home grown morris dancing and skinhead bands.

Morris dancing skinheads, now that would be a spectacle. Perhaps one we could export post Brexit to sell the new Britain to the rest of the world?

"And our next dance is called, 'Feck off Merkel, we're British and we do what we want, even if it's  quite stupid'. For this one we'll be using the sticks so please watch yourselves, it can get a bit stompy"

Edited by PompeyVillan

I would love to know how many people voted out because they believed what they were told i.e. Europe would offer us whatever we want as we were too important to them. 

They were supposed to bend over backwards for us. 

I am sure a huge number of people would have voted to stay if they hadn't been sold that nonsense. 

It's also hilarious that the Brexiters get off totally Scott free on that one.  They just have to say we are negotiating badly, made of Teflon they are Teflon. 

Â