Play the kids

Richard

18 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Worked for United again when they needed someone to step up against Midtjylland.

Why can't likes of Hepburn-Murphy, Davis, Calder possibly have same effect as Marcus Rashford tonight!!

No reason they can't if they are going to be playing against pub teams too :)

Garde recently cited he didn't feel anybody was mentally strong enough for the first team, while I might argue you don't know until you try them, there are plenty of match players about, I am happy he's made that clear to the youngsters.

I used to watch some youth and reserve team games but I've moved away so am limited to highlights, from the little I've actually seen of game presence there isn't anyone that stands out, though I do think Sellars has something about him when in the final third.

Also I do think at this time it's a good opportunity to try them, if they fail with the team so be it, you can always put them back in the under 21's where they'll get that winning feeling back.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

I was a 'good idea but no' with , 'think of the children ! type reasons.

But having heard Garde say he doesn't get the effort out of the players in training (for which I'm afraid he also has to be marked down) I think they MUST play.

ANY player who Garde thinks has shown less than 100% should be dropped, even if i'ts the whole Team.

Then offer it to the kids, give them a chance and see if they sink or swim.

8 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

This is not about throwing the dice to possibly bring through youth players. It is all about having a go with the team that stands the best chance of getting something in the games while we still have a glimmer of hope.

When all hope is gone it may be different, but if you check out the press conference, he was indicating that he was not impressed by any of the youth players in the recent practice match.

Fair enough

14 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

If there was a decent youth player I would expect Garde to have already played them as he has a poor opinion (and rightly so) of the current XI. Lyden hasn't disgraced himself so far- I would play him in the last 4/5 games at least.

he hasnt even bothered trying to get Grealish on side though. Today was a perfect opportunity to try other players but went again for Sinclair and Gestede, starting to think he is trolling us

steer, siegrist, lyden, lyons-foster, donacien, mason, kinsella, calder, robinson, seller and hepburn-murphy, even gardner all deserve a chance in the first team next season for sure, it will be disapointing to see any of them leave.

Edited by AndyBM

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

he hasnt even bothered trying to get Grealish on side though. Today was a perfect opportunity to try other players but went again for Sinclair and Gestede, starting to think he is trolling us

Grealish has been injured for a while.

I honestly don't rate our academy that highly, that's not a criticism of the club per se but it seems to be a symptom of modern football.

If you think of our more recent graduates no-one really stands out. Arguably the one player who has the talent Grealish seems to lack the correct attitude to succeed .

I've lost track of the number of academy graduates over the years that have been and gone. Even in more recent times of the gradates that have stayed at Villa Park, Baker and Clark for example always seem accident prone and have been openly criticised and as for Gabby...

Probably our most successful graduate in recent years has been Gary Cahill, a player who was deemed surplus to requirements by MON and shipped off to Bolton to make way for Zat Knight.

Even Albrighton, a player we released for nothing is probably having his best ever season with Leicester. A Leicester side that can realistically win a PL title and qualify for Champions League football.  

So, no at this stage in our season I wouldn't risk playing the kids. Next season though is a whole new ballgame.

UTV

Edited by Supervillan78

On 2/28/2016 at 02:59, Zatman said:

Grealish is injured.

Garde has played him several times and each time he's been utter shite.

He's picked him about twice thats all. The rest have been shit over a lot more games. I guess our youngsters aren't as good as United, but they night at least offer a but more enthusiasm. I hate the football we are playing under Garde. I want a manager who is prepared to take risks. Yes might as well throw a few kids in.

• 1 month later...

Watching the chelsea game, i couldn't help notice the difference in stature and athleticism between their youngsters and ours.

It stood out a mile for me.....sure, Loftus-Cheek is a big lad, naturally, but they look leagues above our lads.

Lyden might turn out ok.....but he seemed to me a shadow of them as thoroughbreds. 

TRO firstly thanks for bouncing this thread I looked for it for ages yesterday and couldnt find it!

Secondly Chelsea's kids looked leagues above our first teamers never mind our kids.

When Sherwood was here the one thing he said that I thought had some merit was that our kids would learn nothing playing against U21 kids week in week out.  He felt they would learn more with games agains older pros , to teach them the real game.  He wanted to play more behind closed door games for our U21 lot.  He actually wanted a bigger cull of the lads and get some more in but thats another point.

Chelsea have a load of players out on loan,  a ridiculous amount.  You cant help but think that having them playing proper league games for teams rather than a bunch of meaningless U21 games has helped them.

Its another reason why I would be totally in favour of just playing a majority of kids for us for our remaining games,  that and the fact that most of the current first team are a rabble of unprofessionalism

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Watching the chelsea game, i couldn't help notice the difference in stature and athleticism between their youngsters and ours.

It stood out a mile for me.....sure, Loftus-Cheek is a big lad, naturally, but they look leagues above our lads.

Lyden might turn out ok.....but he seemed to me a shadow of them as thoroughbreds. 

Chelsea are picking the absolute top youths from across the globe and bringing them in early, then loaning them on dodgy deals to, for example, Dutch clubs (Vitesse).  Of course they'll be miles ahead of ours.

Loftus-Cheek is probably one of the rare English players to develop at Chelsea's academy (could be wrong here?) rather than being cherry picked and loaned out.

4 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

i would play them in away games, not at home.

Funny as I would do the opposite as potentially having a squad full of kids could diffuse the toxic atmosphere with the fanbase thinking it's not fair to have a go at the kids? 

Â